Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, no point in thinking of a Tesla as a smart car. It's much more a cell phone with wheels.
Because there appears to be issues with the Tesla Cam/Sentry recording, that makes the whole car a failure. It's a pretty damned advanced system - this just happens to an as-yet isolated bug. No, it's not the only one (and I'm sure it won't be the last one), but if you really think about what's going on here, it's pretty freaking amazing.

I had been using a Samsung Endurance 64gb microSD, and this was working for several weeks up until I started getting recurrent errors about accessing the drive. Coincidentally this was around the time I got the V10 upgrade, although I can't say for sure that it didn't start below. I reformatted the card multiple times both on a Mac and PC using rufus, but kept getting errors.
Finally plugged in a cheapo 120gb SSD with a USB SATA adapter from Aliexpress, and has been working without a glitch since.

After working for 6 weeks, I’m getting hit with the same message again. Hard to believe Tesla would allow this kind of issue linger for so long because apparently it’s causing problems for many owners.

I was getting the same error and I couldn't resolve it after purchasing many USB sticks.

I then purchased this Samsung about 2 weeks ago. I formatted it ( guiformat.exe is free and its only function is to format large drives FAT32 which is what Tesla requires) . I installed it .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q41P7B7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a problem so far.

More than enough space.

• Informative
Reactions: Sneakerhead
FYI i have been using this since late June and it's already no longer working with Sentry Mode:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Tesla says the write speeds are too slow. Tried reformatting a few times to no avail.
Do you have your drive set up with a single partition for TeslaCam only or two partitions for TeslaCam and music? Knightshade and I both have the 128GB version of that drive and his has worked fine while mine started getting the "too slow" messages after six months. He is using his strictly for TeslaCam but mine has a second partition for music. Not sure if that's the reason or if he just got a drive from a better batch.

Because there appears to be issues with the Tesla Cam/Sentry recording, that makes the whole car a failure. It's a pretty damned advanced system - this just happens to an as-yet isolated bug. No, it's not the only one (and I'm sure it won't be the last one), but if you really think about what's going on here, it's pretty freaking amazing.

The failure of this feature is not an isolated event. Most of the car features are beta, like a cell phone and fail to work well. The brakes work without software (I think) and the steering works without software (I hope), but virtually everything else in the car requires software to be working. That includes being able to get out of the car in an accident. I believe there is already one lawsuit over exactly that issue, a person in a fatal accident who could not be reached because there was no way to open the doors.

The model S has retractable door handles which require electronics to open. They should be activated along with the air bags. I literally don't know what could be done to improve the model X. That car seems pretty hopeless in many regards.

Moderator note: please stay on topic for this thread, which is specifically USB drives that work with the DashCam feature. Discussions about how Teslas are software-driven cars or other topics can be conducted elsewhere. People come to this thread looking for specific information about which USB drive to buy so they can use the DashCam feature.

Thank you.

I have two of these drives. Both are failing. The write speed is very fast when the drive is empty, but drops below 4 mb/s as the drive starts filling up. I tested the write speed on my PC and verified that it gets better once emptied. Not sure why.... I assumed the wear leveling would handle these things.

Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB - 300MB/s (MUF-128BE4/AM) - Titan Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPG9YX9/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_KFw0DbFVRQT6Y

It seems that SSD users are facing much less issues if you read through the threads. I had issues with my Samsung USB drive then I switched to SSD and it’s been working without a hitch since. SSD is marginally more expensive so probably the way to go.

It seems that SSD users are facing much less issues if you read through the threads. I had issues with my Samsung USB drive then I switched to SSD and it’s been working without a hitch since. SSD is marginally more expensive so probably the way to go.

More likely there's just a lot fewer people who paid the 3x price for an SSD, so less people TO report issues.

The fact there have been ANY SSD issues confirms that it's not a "too slow HW" issue though.

Over time, I burned out a couple of thumb drives so I decided to get a 'real' SSD with a REAL controller on board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SanDIsk 500GB "Extreme" portable hard drive. Works like a charm. Comes with the USB-A to USB-C adapter.

I asked this question earlier on this chain to another owner who purchased this drive but received no reply (post#245 copy below). Would really appreciate confirmation if the SanDisk SSD also requires additional buss power in order to mount on an iPhone. Thanks!

"Further to my earlier post regarding the playback of Tesla Cam footage from a Samsung T5 SSD on an iPhone, I tried the Apple USB C plugged into the SSD drive to Lightning cable plugged into the phone but this also did not work. Have to conclude at this point that there is insufficient power coming from the iPhone to power an SSD drive and an additional power adapter like this one is needed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_mWOODbNYDWMJF

You can use one of the rear USB power sources in the M3 to power this adaptor with a USB to lightning cable. However, this set up is pretty cumbersome (not to mention the power adaptor is another $40 expense). Is an additional power supply required if your using micro SD and wish to view the footage on your iPhone or can the micro SD be plugged directly into the iPhone?

Last edited:
More likely there's just a lot fewer people who paid the 3x price for an SSD, so less people TO report issues.

The fact there have been ANY SSD issues confirms that it's not a "too slow HW" issue though.

almost everyone I know personally has issues with USB eventually. I’ve converted them to SSD and no issues so for a little more money, seems like a better bet. It’s only $90.

almost everyone I know personally has issues with USB eventually. I’ve converted them to SSD and no issues so for a little more money, seems like a better bet. It’s only $90.

And everyone I know personally has had no issues with USB drives and didn't need to spend 3x more on an SSD.

That's why anecdotes aren't super useful for stuff like this.

The fact that every other issue so far has happened (to whatever degree) on every type of storage (0 byte files, one repeater or the other not recording, green tinged video files, etc...), and all of them improved or vanished after software updates from Tesla however suggest these are software problems, not hardware.

Likewise the "too slow" thing happened after software updates and will likely improve for those experiencing it after them as well.

Do you have your drive set up with a single partition for TeslaCam only or two partitions for TeslaCam and music? Knightshade and I both have the 128GB version of that drive and his has worked fine while mine started getting the "too slow" messages after six months. He is using his strictly for TeslaCam but mine has a second partition for music. Not sure if that's the reason or if he just got a drive from a better batch.
Single partition. Thought it was working after the latest update but now I get the "too slow" message every single time no matter what.

Reactions: superblast
Over time, I burned out a couple of thumb drives so I decided to get a 'real' SSD with a REAL controller on board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SanDIsk 500GB "Extreme" portable hard drive. Works like a charm. Comes with the USB-A to USB-C adapter.
- How long have you had it?
- Do you know what the write speeds are?
- Did you get the 550MB/s* read or the 1050MB/s* red? (but I guess writing is more important)

I was getting the same error and I couldn't resolve it after purchasing many USB sticks.

I then purchased this Samsung about 2 weeks ago. I formatted it ( guiformat.exe is free and its only function is to format large drives FAT32 which is what Tesla requires) . I installed it .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q41P7B7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a problem so far.

More than enough space.
- How long have you had it?
- Do you know what the write speeds are?