Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to follow up on my previous post.. When my dashcam stopped recording, the issue didn't turn out to be the memory card - it was the USB adapter that failed. I bought a couple different brands to try and they all worked with the same memory card. So if your cam is no longer recording, try replacing the adapter, which is cheaper than buyng a new memory card..

So now we get exFAT as an option for TeslaCam.
I'm not well versed in the various file systems. What benefits does exFAT have for TeslaCam use? Is it just ease of formatting or are there other aspects?
Thx!

Honestly nothing you're likely to care about beyond "easier to format larger than 32GB partitions from windows native interface"

Like- it supports single files larger than 4GB (which FAT32 does not) but since none of the camera files are more than a tiny tiny fraction of that it doesn't really matter here.

Honestly nothing you're likely to care about beyond "easier to format larger than 32GB partitions from windows native interface"

Like- it supports single files larger than 4GB (which FAT32 does not) but since none of the camera files are more than a tiny tiny fraction of that it doesn't really matter here.

might be a few other advantages to exfat

• Only One FAT. exFAT volumes do not maintain two FATs, but only one, reducing the space and processing overhead.
  • Free Cluster Bitmap. In addition to the FAT (File Allocation Table) also used on FAT-32, exFAT also uses a cluster bitmap to keep track of allocated and free clusters. The bitmap dramatically reduces the number of required read/write operations of the FAT.
  • Contiguous File Optimization. Contiguous files get special treatment by exFAT, making reading and writing such files faster. Typically, more than 90% of all files on a disk are contiguous.
The improvements listed above are particularly significant on large volumes or slow disks (e.g., large USB sticks on a USB 1.1 port) or on systems with a weak CPU

source: Benefits of the exFAT File System

A few days ago this message showed up: “Dashcam: USB drive is too slow to save-please use a drive with higher write speed”

Then I tried to format the usb stick but it still didn’t work. The worked flawlessly for months until now. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I got the same message. Bought a faster drive. Problem solved. Maybe due to a software update.

Reactions: doghousePVD
was running the SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for months and it worked flawlessly until now. The camera icon isn't appearing anymore even after a FAT32 reformat. This happened right after the new software update. It looks a few are also experiencing the same thing with this setup, which was a popular recommended setup. Wondering if this is a software bug.

Reactions: MrABRanch
How long have you been using the Pure Tesla drive? I went with the Sandisk 128 GB high endurance memory card and adapter route - both of which were listed in this thread as working. Worked fine for several months. A few weeks ago, it just stopped working. No dashcam icon and the car did not recognize that a storage device was plugged in. I have two Teslas and have two memory cards and adapters. This problem happened in both Teslas (Model S and Model 3). Reformatting the cards didn't work.

I figured I might have damaged the card by unplugging it before turning off the dashcam, even though the card still works in my computer, so I bought a new card - same type. Plugged it in and it worked for one day. Parked the car in my garage overnight and the next morning, no more dashcam icon.
i'm experiencing the same thing. usb reads on my computer but does not read in the car. did this happen after the new software update?

edit- which new adapter did you buy?

Reactions: MrABRanch
Had the same thing happen with two SanDisk MobileMate Micro SD adapters. Neither one works in the car anymore, except intermittantly. No error message, just no DashCam icon. Replaced them with another adapter and the cards work fine again.

Hey Kevy bab
I am curious how you achieve "360-degree recording of motion-triggered video" when the Tesla doesn't have 360-degree video coverage.

Curious how you determined which were best? What methodology?

Hey!

We were just quoting Tesla's statement (Autopilot) on its eight cameras + sensors.

Advanced Sensor Coverage
Eight surround cameras provide 360 degrees of visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

Though, we appreciate that Tesla's sentry recordings have blind spots.

As for the second statement, we judge this by the read/write speed and the device's ability to maintain the advertised speed, and also user feedback on the devices. A lot of other softwares for viewing Sentry footage use the iXpand system, which has mediocre performance compared to the drives we recommend.

Cheers

Hey Kevy bab

Hey!

We were just quoting Tesla's statement (Autopilot) on its eight cameras + sensors.

Advanced Sensor Coverage
Eight surround cameras provide 360 degrees of visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

Though, we appreciate that Tesla's sentry recordings have blind spots.

As for the second statement, we judge this by the read/write speed and the device's ability to maintain the advertised speed, and also user feedback on the devices. A lot of other softwares for viewing Sentry footage use the iXpand system, which has mediocre performance compared to the drives we recommend.

Cheers

That's AP, not Sentry/Dashcam.

AP uses 8 cameras.

Dashcam uses 4.

Tesla does record B pillar cameras (just ask and videos are provided from their cloud) and motion in those B pillars trigger recordings nonetheless.

Do you have a source on that?

To my knowledge apart from specific-car NN data gathering campaigns, video is only ever uploaded to Tesla at all if a car alarm is triggered (and even then it only includes the 4 cameras dashcam is recording)- or if airbags are deployed.

I've also yet to see anyone ever successfully request and receive any regular video from Tesla (let alone video from cameras not part of dashcam)

was running the SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for months and it worked flawlessly until now. The camera icon isn't appearing anymore even after a FAT32 reformat. This happened right after the new software update. It looks a few are also experiencing the same thing with this setup, which was a popular recommended setup. Wondering if this is a software bug.
Replaced the adapter as some have suggested and it works again.