Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never made a comment about how your headlights were adjusted. I was commenting on lights out of the factory. If you've adjusted them, then you have fixed them, and proved the point. Thanks.

Look back at your post:

Being able to be on full beam all the time and not blind other road users is a game changer for night driving. Of course if you are in a model 3 or Y you blind everyone by default even in low beam.

You started out simply making a sweeping statement that all Tesla Model 3 and Y lights were blinding other drivers ... "even on a low beam" as quoted above! You didn't distinguish between which version of lights or which factory of manufacture. That therefore included cars (including my own) with non matrix lights. I know that my lights have never blinded other drivers so I pointed that out. There are thousands of Tesla Model 3s that have a different design to the ones presently being manufactured ... and even from a different factory. I pointed out to you, in case you didn't know, that there have been at least 3 different designs now just for the Model 3.

For what it's worth (and nothing to do with matrix lights) a few years ago my own lights were changed by a software update and were reset too low. I used the auto reset feature in the car which brought them to the correct level. That's the sum total of interaction with my headlights. I've not had an issue since. My car is now old enough to have had 2 MOT tests and my lights have been measured and found to be appropriately set.

Reactions: KennethS
That is fair, I do think it is not the most elegant solution but I like it personally as it's where I'm looking (the mirror) rather than me having to look at the mirror, then the screen, then back again before manoeuvring.

Personally, although not a particularly elegant solution I do like that it is 'hidden in plain sight' behind the tweeter grill. Keeps with the minimalist interior... I have had similar systems in other cars and it has been a bog standard LED but behind the mirror. Scraping the barrel for pro's, a good thing with this being in the speaker grill is that if its raining really hard you can still clearly see it is on (I did say scraping the barrel!!! 😂)
No it’s fine, does the job and absolutely much better than screen only approach.

Most cars I’ve had will have a logo on the mirror themselves but accept that is clearly a more expensive way of doing it.

Look back at your post:

You started out simply making a sweeping statement that all Tesla Model 3 and Y lights were blinding other drivers ... "even on a low beam" as quoted above! You didn't distinguish between which version of lights or which factory of manufacture. That therefore included cars (including my own) with non matrix lights. I know that my lights have never blinded other drivers so I pointed that out. There are thousands of Tesla Model 3s that have a different design to the ones presently being manufactured ... and even from a different factory. I pointed out to you, in case you didn't know, that there have been at least 3 different designs now just for the Model 3.

For what it's worth (and nothing to do with matrix lights) a few years ago my own lights were changed by a software update and were reset too low. I used the auto reset feature in the car which brought them to the correct level. That's the sum total of interaction with my headlights. I've not had an issue since. My car is now old enough to have had 2 MOT tests and my lights have been measured and found to be appropriately set.
Seems the consensus in this forums and from other industry experts is well and truly against your opinion. The low beams are set high, especially off to the left, even on the very latest shipment of cars, mine included. You can try to convince yourself despite the fact you've had issues, which I doubt you've ever had in any other vehicles.

For what it's worth, I think the high beam assistance is excellent....but it's not as good as the matrix lights I had in my 2017 mercedes (which was a 2015 model)

Seems the consensus in this forums and from other industry experts is well and truly against your opinion
I have not expressed “opinion”. I have told you facts about how my lights have worked and about the variance of the Model 3 lights design. Look back at my posts. At no time have I commented about how matrix lights may or may not be set up from new. The reason I bothered to make comment at all … given that this thread is about matrix lights… was simply to counter your sweeping statement that “all” Tesla lights blind other road users, which is patently ridiculous.

was simply to counter your sweeping statement that “all” Tesla lights blind other road users, which is patently ridiculous.
That is a fair point/comment in that you can only vouch for your experience. However its also fair to say that this was a much talked about subject at one point until some other controversy came along.

My hands on experience is that our 2020 M3 had this issue, 2021 M3 same thing again, and 2022 model Y same story. So in essence, all my cars that this issue and I cant necessarily pin it to a bad batch 🤷‍♂️

Also true to say that people have bashed cars specially the American made ones for poor build quality and gaps and Ive not had any of these issues either. Yet its widely know that this was an issue.

I dont really have the stats for the majorities on either case because all the people on here and all the people on youtube do not reflect the amount of car sold.

TL;DR - You both have a point. Wether one thinks it might be exaggerated might well depend/ be based on their own experience or knowledge.

TL;DR - You both have a point. Whether one thinks it might be exaggerated might well depend/ be based on their own experience or knowledge.
My point is very very simple. It is that the statement made by @trickytree1984 that all Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys blind other road users “even on low beam” is incorrect and ridiculous. The evidence for this is all around us. Every Model 3 and Y does not blind other road users.

Rather than helping to clarify a point in a serious discussion about headlights this was unhelpful rhetoric and it deserved to be called out.

Would it make you happier if someone said all modern headlights blind other road users? Because it definitely feels like that when driving at night
Tend to agree with this. Even lights on cars with proper matrix can blind momentarily. Lights generally on cars seem to be getting more and more powerful, and piercing (colour temp).

My working theory is that because they are becoming smaller in terms of how much space they take up, and they’re “part of the design language” of the car now rather than functional first, aesthetics second - they’re very much a “as long as the driver has the best view of the road then that’s all that counts” thing. I could be completely wrong about that though.

Are there no moderaters on this site? People come for information and all you find a children arguing. PS the lights definitely blind people.

Some lights blind people, some don't. I've driven Teslas for 8 years including Model 3 and Model Y. both pre and post matrix lights and I've never been accused of blinding people.

I refer you initially to the user manual on how to adjust your headlights if you have a problem.

Reactions: Adopado
I refer you initially to the user manual on how to adjust your headlights if you have a problem.

Well. This does not close the argument. This discussion as been around for a while in this and other parts of the forum and youtube.

Maybe ive been unlucky in all my 3 cars but yes, I have previously adjusted them and they also subsequently reverted back (usually after updates).

Its fair to say that Ive never been "accused" of this even though ive driven well over 40 cars at least on the same road and never had to adjust one from factory.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I have previously adjusted them and they also subsequently reverted back (usually after updates).
Yes, this is also my experience. I don't know if this behaviour changed on a more recent software update but it was infuriatingly common for the lights to go out of whack as I park on a slight incline therefore they always seemed way too low after previous software updates....

Reactions: Js1977
Our lights are pretty crap. Tbh, I really should find a flat area and a wall to adjust them against, but that’s not the point of this. They do not illuminate far enough ahead as they point too low. In other words, they should not be blinding anyone coming towards us backed up by never getting flashed.

However, if we are say waiting to get picked up and standing looking up the road for our car, we can always pick it up from the rest as the light themselves are such a bright white point of light. So even though the beam is not shining in our face, the lights themselves are still a very bright point of light. Which is what I think you can see from many oncoming cars, not blinded by a beam of light, but a very intense point source of light, which can in itself dazzle especially if wet.

Last edited:
If you ever take the chance to peer through the headlight lens you can see the actual LED elements, which are tiny and about 1mm x 1mm. I assume this is why they appear to be point sources from a distance because I have bigger torches than this.

screenshot-2022-01-12-110645-jpg.754980

This thread has just become like the many others on here.
Just people moaning for the sake of it. Same culprits.

For what it’s worth- my headlights haven’t blinded anyone (that I know of) nor have I been blinded by any Tesla. (I drive multiple cars - different manufacturers - a year)

• Disagree
Reactions: timnd and ACarneiro
Just people moaning for the sake of it. Same culprits.

To be fair, I dont see anyone moaning for the sake of it (for the most part). Some are statements of facts that they either have this issue or not.

Others are just to keen to disprove either way... It seems that someone is either a Tesla hater or a fanboy (you cant win) regardless of what they say and there is a bit to much pot kettle black going on here 🤣 👏