Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had two MCU's on two different cars fail within a month of each other (both at approximately 84k miles). The MCU being a solid-state device; shouldn't be failing at the rate others and myself appear to be experiencing. Tesla is excessively writing to eMMC and causing failure... which indicates bad design.

Yes, lifetime warranty is absurd. However, Tesla should fix the issue (or socket the memory) and offer free or significantly discounted repairs.

$2300+labor is a tough pill to swallow for some of us (hopefully it won't happen to you, though I wouldn't bet on it)

The issue is that the storage can only sustain a certain number of read/write cycles and if the software needlessly creates lot of log files and other data, that's going to cause premature depredation. Wish they made the memory module more easily accessible so that it becomes like a service item where perhaps every 3 years you pop in a new $40 storage card.

Pretty sure wk057 figured out a way to disable logging. Not sure if that required rooting first though.
There is no setting to turn off logging. That means anything you do is not done in a manner released to the public. So sure turn off logging without Tesla’s permission and void your warranty so WHEN the MCU fails it absolutely will not be warrantied. Since logging is required during the warranty period then you are not saving much wear by turning it off afterward. Mine failed shortly after the warranty expired.

There is no setting to turn off logging. That means anything you do is not done in a manner released to the public. So sure turn off logging without Tesla’s permission and void your warranty so WHEN the MCU fails it absolutely will not be warrantied. Since logging is required during the warranty period then you are not saving much wear by turning it off afterward. Mine failed shortly after the warranty expired.

First, no vehicle manufacturer can automatically void a warranty for a modified system unless they can prove the modification caused the failure.

Secondly, anyone who has this issue where it will cost them money instead of being replaced under warranty WILL NO LONGER HAVE A WARRANTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

First, no vehicle manufacturer can automatically void a warranty for a modified system unless they can prove the modification caused the failure.

Secondly, anyone who has this issue where it will cost them money instead of being replaced under warranty WILL NO LONGER HAVE A WARRANTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.
If you are hacking into the system you void your warranty of the item you hacked. I am not talking about changing your brakes or putting better pads on the car and having your MCU warranty denied. Tesla probably will not void the warranty but they would be within their rights and it would not be worth it while it is under warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and ABC2D
One guess :D
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.17.40 PM.png

Sorka/Sudre - I think you're both sort of right.

If you root your MCU and brick it...Tesla would be right in not replacing it under warranty.

However if you have a hacked MCU and your door handle fails... they can't say they're not going to fix the handle under warranty just because of the hacked MCU.

Interestingly, in the Vehicle Warranty fine print, they CAN void your warranty for not "installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available"

I guess that means those who don't update to v9... your warranty is on the line...

Last edited:
Text battery replacement

On my 2014 S 85 after 133000 km (84000miles) the battery died while doing an update, the car was towed to the local service center, a new battery pack was ordered, after 2 weeks it arrived, after the replacement I got a call stating the computer also need to be replace in order to make futurs updates. The computer as a cost of $3000,00 and not warranty looks. after 4 years it is hard to accept such expense!

Hey @Max 2018 similar story here for me!!

We may be talking about different batteries... but I got the 12 volt battery needs service message (still on original) and so had this battery replaced by mobile service. Part of this process is updating something on Tesla's end about having a new kind of 12V battery installed... it's an improved part over the original. So he does that with mothership. Immediately after this, first drive, the center console goes into a reboot loop (T logo, dark, T logo, etc.) and no amount of steering wheel control rebooting of either/both console and instrument cluster is stopping the center console reboot loop.
  • Car drives but no HVAC or anything else so I'm using it. Chilly days with no heat.
  • In this looping state, car is still responsive to the mobile App and car can be located on the map. I was able to use App to turn on Climate... which caused seat heaters to go on and stay on for a drive which was nice, but no HVAC blowing.
  • Tesla can do OTA things with the car, and they staged a firmware update.
  • I had been sticking to V8 and putting off V9, but now it looks like this V9 staged is my only hope before MCU replacement.
  • I have been working with Tesla service by texting the technician, and he just asked if the car is stationary for next long while to apply the update. I said "OK do it". Let's see if it even installs.

I will post back updates on this situation.

I had my original MCU replaced under warranty.
I am currently on the second MCU.

QUESTION: If this is going to be a MCU replacement again... does anybody know if new design MCU2 can be put in instead of another MCU1? Like a physically and electrically compatible swap??

If this is on my dollars, I'm thinking I want a MCU2. I'm hoping maybe these newer ones are more robust... (?) Plus it would feel like I'm getting something for my money, beyond just getting my car back.

Last edited:
QUESTION: If this is going to be a MCU replacement again... does anybody know if MCU2 can be put in instead of MCU1? Like a physically and electrically compatible swap??

If this is on my dollars, I'm thinking I want a MCU2. I'm hoping maybe these newer ones are more robust... (?)

They are not offering MCU2 upgrades at this time. My understanding is that there are some connector differences. Elon has said on a couple of occasions that a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade will be available sometime in the future.

Hey @Max 2018
QUESTION: If this is going to be a MCU replacement again... does anybody know if MCU2 can be put in instead of MCU1? Like a physically and electrically compatible swap??

If this is on my dollars, I'm thinking I want a MCU2. I'm hoping maybe these newer ones are more robust... (?)
That almost sounds like your display has gone out and not the entire MCU. When my MCU went out they could not even access it from the mothership.

When I got my new one they put in the latest and great one (at the time).... I think the part number ended in E.... which ever one it was it is supposed to be the more reliable one. Just a swap. It came with the new 4g too.

Hope that answers your question.

That almost sounds like your display has gone out and not the entire MCU. When my MCU went out they could not even access it from the mothership.

Yeah, I was surprised that Tesla could actually reach into the car while stuck in this looping state, and the App connects. This does suggest the looping T logo display is only "skin deep" and maybe just an issue with UI layers of software. Much of the MCU and radios must be functioning as witnessed by being able to receive firmware OTA, as something got staged and my App was saying "update available" at 1 a.m. last night, and few times since. The physical display LCD and touch worthiness seem just fine. Nothing to touch in this state obviously... but has never been an issue.

If this story amounts MCU coming out, and Tesla not picking up any cost, I will be asking to keep it and tear into it.

Here's the status of my case...

While my console has been looping in reboot constantly while driving, Tesla was able to stage a firmware update OTA just as it normally happens. Since I wasn't able to use the console to accept and install the firmware, Tesla did a forced application OTA. When it was done, I walked out to my car and console is working again, smiling back at me with V9 install notes.

A happy sad story: Happy it didn't take a new MCU! :) Sad I'm now on V9... :( as I was holding out on V8 because of the strikes against V9 for Model S. The only good thing is that it's going to be easier shifting between driving the model 3 and S... they'll both feel like a 3 in the UI department.

The Tesla tech told me he's queuing up the firmware again, so to expect it, and for me to trigger the install at my convenience. He said that a double-install is specified for the looping console reboot problem I was having. So this problem was in their big database of problem descriptions and he was able to find it and is just following along with the prescribed remedy. I asked if this approach we took is a cure-all for looping consoles, he said nope, case by case and is just something to try.

... after all that... I was kinda surprised but not really that the media player was up with the same podcast where I left it before all this happened

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sudre
Yesterday my 2012 build S85 joined the black MCU club, at ~128,000 miles. Car will drive after a long “Systems Powering Up” display message, but without the MCU there is no air suspension, navigation, homelink, entertainment, HVAC, or controls. Service Center is quoting 2400 to replace, but that will not include any connectivity upgrades, and I will be left with 3G and another MCU that will suffer the same fate in a few years. Ingineer is in the process of moving, and can’t help until August. SC will attempt a “double forced firmware update” on Monday, in hopes that will bring the MCU back to life, at least temporarily.

Is there anything else that can be done? Clearly Tesla should be fixing this mess on their own dime, but with Elon crowing about their need for “hardcore cost cutting”, I don’t foresee that happening.

Any suggestions are welcome.