Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my 2012 build S85 joined the black MCU club, at ~128,000 miles. Car will drive after a long “Systems Powering Up” display message, but without the MCU there is no air suspension, navigation, homelink, entertainment, HVAC, or controls. Service Center is quoting 2400 to replace, but that will not include any connectivity upgrades, and I will be left with 3G and another MCU that will suffer the same fate in a few years. Ingineer is in the process of moving, and can’t help until August. SC will attempt a “double forced firmware update” on Monday, in hopes that will bring the MCU back to life, at least temporarily.

Is there anything else that can be done? Clearly Tesla should be fixing this mess on their own dime, but with Elon crowing about their need for “hardcore cost cutting”, I don’t foresee that happening.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Honest truth is it sounds like the dreaded emmc flash death which means a firmware update isn't going to do anything to resurrect it.

Tesla is killing these prematurely with their unnecessary write logs to the MCU. This should be a class action lawsuit to get them to fix it. It's solvable.

Also, you can take your MCU out and take it to your local cell phone repair shop and the can desolder the emmc chip and replace it with a new one (and restore the data).

I have no idea how to do that, but I've seen this recommendation before. Probably $100 cost or so.

Yeah I saw a post about instructions for that, and it sounded scary and beyond my Linux and tech skills.

Replacing eMMC in MCU

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Honest truth is it sounds like the dreaded emmc flash death which means a firmware update isn't going to do anything to resurrect it.

Tesla is killing these prematurely with their unnecessary write logs to the MCU. This should be a class action lawsuit to get them to fix it. It's solvable.

FWIW, the SC tech told me earlier that the double forced firmware update “rebuilds corrupt databases”, and fixes MCU issues. Not sure if this could possibly mean that it rebuilds the corrupted /vars directory on the EMMC chip? I’ll post back if it does resurrect the MCU, they are trying that on Monday.

FWIW, the SC tech told me earlier that the double forced firmware update “rebuilds corrupt databases”, and fixes MCU issues. Not sure if this could possibly mean that it rebuilds the corrupted /vars directory on the EMMC chip? I’ll post back if it does resurrect the MCU, they are trying that on Monday.
Ask if it does anything for high blood pressure.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

There isn't a need for this. Tesla is always improving, and I'm sure they want customers to be happy with their vehicles. Just start with an e-mail to [email protected] suggesting the fix. You can ask that it be escalated.

There isn't a need for this. Tesla is always improving, and I'm sure they want customers to be happy with their vehicles. Just start with an e-mail to [email protected] suggesting the fix. You can ask that it be escalated.

I will certainly try that. If a third party can fix this for $100 instead of a $2400 replacement, Tesla should be able to do the same. Though assuming that these are mostly out of warranty and done at customer cost, it’s probably not a big cost savings for Tesla. But it certainly would show a tremendous amount of goodwill.

One other thing to try if you pull your MCU: take out the large gateway SD card and see if it boots without it. If it does, just format and/or replace it and you should be good to go.

This is another cause of “dead” MCUs that I have seen (other than failing emmc).

Last edited:
One other thing to try if you pull your MCU: take out the large gateway SD card and see if it boots without it. If it does, just format and/or replace it and you should be good to go.

This is another cause of “dead” MCUs that I have seen (other than failing emmc).

Thanks for the tip Appleguru, I will definitely try that before shelling out $2400 for a replacement MCU!

Reactions: appleguru
Ask them why are they charging you the full cost to replace with an mcu that will get yellow borders that you will have to pay to replace again in near future. (this happened to me)

Sadly my current one has never yellowed or bubbled in six and a half years! I hate to part with it, and I wish they could just replace the faulty EMMC chip and/or gateway SD card, so I could keep it!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Ask them why are they charging you the full cost to replace with an mcu that will get yellow borders that you will have to pay to replace again in near future. (this happened to me)

You can request to keep your old "failed" MCU. Then you could even move the display from your old MCU to your new one. (Or move the NVidia daughter card from the new one to the old one.)

Or sell it to recover some of the cost. Or have it repaired for the next time it happens to your new MCU.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors and GSP
Sadly my current one has never yellowed or bubbled in six and a half years! I hate to part with it, and I wish they could just replace the faulty EMMC chip and/or gateway SD card, so I could keep it!

If you do have Tesla replace your MCU request that they return your failed one to you. (They have to return the failed parts to you if you ask for them and you are paying for a non-warranty repair.)

Update on my Black MCU situation. TL;DR is that it is FIXED, and I strongly recommend TMC user Tedsk as a guy who can help fix an MCU, quickly and for a fair and reasonable price! Details below:

1) I did email [email protected]. They didn’t respond for over a week, and then immediately responded after I mentioned I had emailed them to another Tesla Support Employee. Their advice was to take my car in to service and have them address the issue, along with s page of instructions on how to make a service appointment via the phone app. Gee, thanks for that. Of course my car has already been seen by service multiple times, and their advice was to keep doing the “double forced firmware update” to resuscitate the MCU, and eventually replace the MCU for $2400 when that stopped working. Even though that replacement MCU would be subject to the same issue.

2) The solution: After seeking the help of several TMC users on chip replacement, I was directed to @tedsk, who is near me on the East Coast and had the bandwidth to help. He recommended I send him the MCU, and he could replace the chip and transfer my old data to the new chip. If I wanted anything bigger than the original 8GB chip, I would need to provide it, but he would install it. He said it would be done in about a week.

3) I brought my car in to the local Service Center, and let them try the “double forced firmware update” to revive the black MCU. It took them a day, but it worked. They charged me $175 for the labor, a price we had agreed upon up front, only to be paid if the attempts were successful. Since removing the MCU is a fairly complex task, I asked them to sell me the LTE connectivity upgrade ($500), which includes full MCU removal. Prior to doing the LTE board swap, I asked them to let me have the MCU, so I could Fedex it down to Tedsk for the eMMC chip upgrade.

4) After reading several threads here and on the DIYElectricCars forum, I thought that upgrading to a 64GB was ideal, and that we should leave 32GB unpartitioned. Turns out I may have misunderstood some of those threads, as the 64GB chip was only suggested for MCU2 and newer. So Tedsk and I decided on a 16GB chip instead for my first gen MCU, leaving 8GB unpartitioned. Thanks @verygreen for input here.

5) Tedsk managed to turn the whole thing around in under two days, and Fedexed the MCU back up to me over the long weekend. I just got the car back from Tesla Service today, after they completed the LTE upgrade. So far, everything looks good. The browser actually works again, which hasn’t been the case in many months. I am hoping I won’t have any further MCU issues, now that we have a much more robust eMMC chip in place. I did have to reprogram my driver profiles and Homelinks, because we intentionally dropped personal data from the old chip so as not to carry forward any corruption, as a precaution.

Here is the link to the chip I used:

SFEM016GB1EA1TO-I-GE-111-STD Swissbit | Mouser

Note that if anyone with a failing MCU2 needs the 64GB eMMC chip, I have a spare now, just PM me if you want it.

Thank you so much Tedsk, you and your services were an absolute lifesaver! Even after paying around $50 in shipping each way plus the LTE upgrade, I still ended up spending less than half the $2400 that Tesla wanted me to pay to replace the MCU. And now with the bigger and more robust chip, I should be protected from future issues caused by excessive logging to the eMMC!