Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1/AP3 - laggy response time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 X here with MCU1. The car is definitely a little laggier since we got AP3, but the worst problem is that the dash display keeps freezing and rebooting. it happens about every 20 minutes of driving, and about a third at the time we enter the car.

I have a service appointment next week and have asked them to look at this, but I fear all they're going to say about the terrible performance of my under-warranty car is that I can - someday in the future - pay $2,500 for the MCU2 upgrade that might fix it. Or might not.

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
What software version are you running? Do you see the driver's binnacle traffic stuff like traffic lights, stop and speed limit signs?

Running with 2020.36 - it sees the traffic lights and stop signs and most likely the speed limit signs. Other extraneous things like cones, bikes, and such may occasionally show up but not consistently. Things like the reverse camera can take 10-20 seconds to activate - not particularly good in heavier traffic in a city. I think a factor may also be the 3G connectivity - the music loads can take a while to sync up. Some renders onscreen take a while too.

Ever since I had the AP3 computer update, I've found that the responsiveness of the main screen with MCU1 has been degrading. Reboots are taking a lot longer, there's more software crashes, and overall it's plain old laggy to do things with the screen (music is slow to load, trip routing slow, etc). I'm assuming a part of it may be because AP3 is pushing more data across the network - any confirmed answers on this?

Updates only seem to be making it worse over time. I am hoping this isn't a sign of the dreaded chip failure.

I considered the option of updating the MCU, but I cannot justify it since the lease is up next year and odds are high I'll look at replacing it with another Tesla.

I had mine in for service very recently for the same problem. I had never reset my trip odometers since the car was new. They told me they reset those and cleared the map cache and the performance improved to expected levels for MCU1. Clearing the trip odometers is easy. How they clear the map cache, I don’t know. I also read this clearing out your old nav history will improve the performance of the MCU1. I think some is BS but my MCU1 performance definitely improved after doing these things.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
My biggest complaint is that re-routing on the maps when you miss a turn no longer works. It takes mins to recalculate route especially if the destination is miles away. HW3+MCU1

I found a little trick to help that. You turn off all streaming. Drag down on everything so only the map displays and disable the traffic view icon. Speeds up the route calc by alot.

Also havent tried this but you could pull up sketch pad while it is calculating

• Informative
2017 X here with MCU1. The car is definitely a little laggier since we got AP3, but the worst problem is that the dash display keeps freezing and rebooting. it happens about every 20 minutes of driving, and about a third at the time we enter the car.

I have a service appointment next week [...]

The service appointment for our X (which mentions these MCU1/HW3 issues we have been having) is on Tuesday. Yesterday morning, ALL of the navigation information disappeared! Favorites, Home, Work, Recents, everything. The car didn't say it got an update. All other settings seem fine. Was somebody at corporate remote-cleaning the car to try to fix the reboot issues? Has anybody else seen this?

I cleared the trip meters too, and turned off live traffic on the maps. My wife is going for a very long drive tomorrow, so we'll see if things are any better.

--------------------------

Not that it's important, but just FYI: we didn't drive the car yesterday, so how did we notice the missing nav data? It was because it flashed the lights when we opened the garage door - Sentry Mode was on in our garage. It shouldn't have been, because we have "Exclude Home" set. So I got in the car to see why Sentry mode was on. It said that we should set our Home address before using Sentry mode. So that's when I went to look at our Home address in the nav system and saw that everything was gone.

Question for you guys, for those who have AP3 hardware and FSD, are you noticing a significant loss of range over a 24 hour period with car parked, I have MCU1 with FSD AP3.0 and besides the MCU acting up frequently with reboots and such, I am also seeing a drastic loss in range, 14 miles in one day, this cant be normal correct? SW 2020.36.3.1

Last edited:
Question for you guys, for those who have AP3 hardware and FSD, are you noticing a significant loss of range over a 24 hour period with car parked, I have MCU1 with FSD AP3.0 and besides the MCU acting up frequently with reboots and such, I am also seeing a drastic loss in range, 14 miles in one day, this cant be normal correct? SW 2020.36.3.1

Yeah, I've noticed this too. My vampire drain has always been pretty bad, but definitely got worse post HW3 upgrade, I suspect due to sentry mode? Will try and pull some numbers from teslafi to verify.

I have a 2017 MCU1 + FSD. The system is definitely laggy. Before every time when I backed up the car and turn on the rear camera it will freeze. Called the service center, they said something was wrong with the camera input. Not sure if they were just screwing with me or what but I went along. They replace the rear camera and so far I haven't gotten that issue. Voice commands now is completely useless.

Man it's bad. I just cant do it anymore. I took took a road trip to rhode island today from DE and my MCU1 rebooted and crashed 3 times. This was with me having the sketch pad up and trying to limit the resources hogging the MCU. It was so awful spending the trip trying to accommodate to the MCU. Lets not forget it took over 7 minutes to calculate a route for the nav system

• Informative
Yeah, I've noticed this too. My vampire drain has always been pretty bad, but definitely got worse post HW3 upgrade, I suspect due to sentry mode? Will try and pull some numbers from teslafi to verify.
Thanks, I have turned off sentry mode, and at the suggestion of those here, i also turned off that cabin protection mode, its been pretty hot over last few weeks, so I imagine the battery cooling was working overtime thoughout most of day and even into night, temps inside car even with it being garaged are high nineties......i went through menus to see if there was anything I was missing, turned off a few more things, so hoping that will help, i havent accessed the car to awake it since yesterday afternoon, so later today going to check and see if I lost more than a few miles of range, but the day before was horrible, 14 miles in less than a 24 hour period!! Something is going on.

• Disagree
I have a 2017 MCU1 + FSD. The system is definitely laggy. Before every time when I backed up the car and turn on the rear camera it will freeze. Called the service center, they said something was wrong with the camera input. Not sure if they were just screwing with me or what but I went along. They replace the rear camera and so far I haven't gotten that issue. Voice commands now is completely useless.
Looks like you and I have just about the exact same car........it bothers me because I dont really know how this car performed with MCU1 back in 2017 because I didnt own the car back then, I bought the car recently, and noticed all these little things after, the lag, the MCU1 being utterly useless for the webbrowser, and the voice commands, it fails miserably at recognizing and processing simple commands.....I dont know after years of updates if that is why it continues to slow down, but it surely couldnt have been like this back in 2017. Seems like all the updates have slowly begun to cripple the MCU1 to the point of just barely hanging on. Ive had a few occurences of the MCU1 maps just freezing while I continue to drive, the car cant keep up. Anyway, I am having a hard time justifying a $2500 upgrade at this point, might not have a choice if this keeps up. I have had already 2 service appts within 2 months of ownership, not exactly getting the full answers that many have already enlightened me to with my configuration. So thanks to all of you, I dont think most owners know any better.

• Informative
Looks like you and I have just about the exact same car........it bothers me because I dont really know how this car performed with MCU1 back in 2017 because I didnt own the car back then, I bought the car recently, and noticed all these little things after, the lag, the MCU1 being utterly useless for the webbrowser, and the voice commands, it fails miserably at recognizing and processing simple commands.....I dont know after years of updates if that is why it continues to slow down, but it surely couldnt have been like this back in 2017. Seems like all the updates have slowly begun to cripple the MCU1 to the point of just barely hanging on. Ive had a few occurences of the MCU1 maps just freezing while I continue to drive, the car cant keep up. Anyway, I am having a hard time justifying a $2500 upgrade at this point, might not have a choice if this keeps up. I have had already 2 service appts within 2 months of ownership, not exactly getting the full answers that many have already enlightened me to with my configuration. So thanks to all of you, I dont think most owners know any better.

I think this is because of the constant OTA updates, I would haven been happy with my Y17 verison of the product, but it did not have the features that I bought (never delivered with software/promised) with the car. I think this is only going to get worse. Even cell phone manufactures don't perform updates on older devices because they are going to be unusable and will have some much useless code to support older hardware.

Tesla is slowing pushing everyone towards upgrades (like a cell phone) with their infotainment upgrades which removes features that was bought and still makes their newer vs older upgraded version standout with differences.

I think this is because of the constant OTA updates, I would haven been happy with my Y17 verison of the product, but it did not have the features that I bought (never delivered with software/promised) with the car. I think this is only going to get worse. Even cell phone manufactures don't perform updates on older devices because they are going to be unusable and will have some much useless code to support older hardware.

Tesla is slowing pushing everyone towards upgrades (like a cell phone) with their infotainment upgrades which removes features that was bought and still makes their newer vs older upgraded version standout with differences.

Yup. Honestly ive found the MCU is decent if you disable the constant nav tracking or have the sketch pad up. They really need a separate rev of v10 for MCU1 cars where the nav map is optional

Yes, it's this exactly. Aging hardware (slower emmc performance), poorly written software (trip meters and maps history that appreciably negatively impact system performance as you use them longer/they store more data in their DBs...), coupled with the continued bloatware/software optimized for the newer hardware has created this situation. While the web browser never really worked since I bought my car new in early 2017, everything worked reasonably snappy in the fw at the time. While some things (especially autopilot related) got better with updates, most things got much, much worse.

Back when I got the car in 2017 (straight out of factory 1st owner of the car) the MCU performed good. I wouldn't say great because now I see the new MCUs and they are buttery smooth. But back then voice control worked, but less functions compared to today and web browser was still useless. I also felt like maps were smother back then too. Yeah I really don't want to pay $2500 for a new MCU especially the current one technically still works. I've been debating and might hold off until it actually fails.

• Informative
Was it ever any different? ‍♂️ Wish they’d revert to onboard voice recognition

interested to know if there are any positive experiences from HW3 upgrade on MCU1 Cars. I have 2017 AP2, MCU1 and SC appt in Oct for HW3. In UK and advised MCU2 upgrade still not possible (despite forum rumours to the contrary)

Voice activation was better before. Now it would constantly fail.

• Informative