Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who want to upgrade to MCU2, having the option certainly is nice.

That said, I don't see how Tesla can say to owners who purchased FSD and have HW2.0 or HW2.5 with MCU1, you get a new FSD computer but don't get the Enhanced Visualizations unless you pay $2500 to upgrade the MCU. Part of the FSD package is the Enhanced Visualizations.

"Enhanced visualizations" has never been a stated feature to be delivered with the FSD package.

so what exactly is the better performance? Faster web and music loading? Would it be similar to a 8gb eMMC replacement with a 16gb?

MCU1 is laggy. Doing ANYTHING. Maps loading, voice commands, searching, switching menus. I had a new loaner and it was night and day difference. For that alone I would want to upgrade. The other improvements are just a bonus for me.

"Enhanced visualizations" has never been a stated feature to be delivered with the FSD package.

Then don't call it "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview"

If you are going to quote me, at least have the courtesy to include the whole statement.

For those who want to upgrade to MCU2, having the option certainly is nice.

That said, I don't see how Tesla can say to owners who purchased FSD and have HW2.0 or HW2.5 with MCU1, you get a new FSD computer but don't get the Enhanced Visualizations unless you pay $2500 to upgrade the MCU. Part of the FSD package is the Enhanced Visualizations. It is literally called "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview" in the settings of the car.

At this point I'm not too concerned about not having the visualizations because I'm not using Autopilot when there are trash cans, stoplights, or pedestrians around, but as the visualizations get better and FSD features are actually being released, it seems like a major safety issue to not know if you car sees the upcoming stoplight or pedestrian.

Then don't call it "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview"

If you are going to quote me, at least have the courtesy to include the whole statement.

The whole statement doesn't change any facts. The title "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview" is accurate and descriptive. Why should it change?

As I said, it doesn't change the fact that the visualizations were never marketed nor sold as a deliverable feature for the FSD package, so they're not owed to you. They're a "nice to have" for cars with hardware that support it.

You said "Part of the FSD package is the Enhanced Visualizations." That's not true, and what I was responding to.

MCU1 is laggy. Doing ANYTHING. Maps loading, voice commands, searching, switching menus. I had a new loaner and it was night and day difference. For that alone I would want to upgrade. The other improvements are just a bonus for me.

I guess I didn’t use maps much due to Waze and it being slow, but the voice command has gotten worse. I assumed it was an eMMC 8gb size issues that could be solved with a 16gb replacement. I can’t ever rmr using the browser except for the log burning background page for fun once in 5 years.

I want to make sure what I’m fully getting for $2500 because it seems the AP functions won’t work with AP/HW1. Still not sure it’s worth to get the MCU2 versus just a new 16gb eMMC for much less.

Reactions: Wanderer
So now I’m confused and debating, the $2500 includes a new screen and internal computer hardware (MCU2) which will include a new eMMC?

I have a 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D that once in a while reboots (twice this year) that will need a new eMMC.

Is it better to have a new MCU2 versus just a eMMC replacement? The games/radio/5g makes no difference to me. I found someone to replace just the eMMC for $800. It seems to me it’s better to save the $1700 unless the MCU2 is far superior than a 16gb swissbit eMMC upgrade on a MCU1?

And I don’t have FSD, only AP was an option at the time. So will some version of FSD now be available with the $2500 upgrade? I’m not sure I care about that either.

If I still had the 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D I'd probably get the MCU2 upgrade ONLY when my MCU1 bit the dust.

But, I'd be pretty annoyed with the missing FM option. I think that's another "its too early for that" like when they decided it would be a great idea to remove the rain sensor.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I want to make sure what I’m fully getting for $2500 because it seems the AP functions won’t work with AP/HW1. Still not sure it’s worth to get the MCU2 versus just a new 16gb eMMC for much less.

I want to clarify what you mean by the statement "the AP functions won't work with AP/HW1". Presumably, you mean the FSD functions won't work with AP/HW1? I am assuming that after upgrading to MCU2 for those cars we still have auto-pilot, just not the full self-driving functionality?

My understanding is that on my 2016 Model S with AP, the upgrade would result in a much more responsive interface and voice interface, a working browser and some additional streaming and gaming capabilities (which I personally do not care about) but that AP would continue to work as before.

Anyone else think that this $2500 won't last long. When demand may be lower than they thought, it could drop to $2000, or even $1500

My guess is that if demand is too low they will just discontinue it, not lower the price. (Like they have discontinued the software unlock of battery capacity on "60 kWh" cars that actually have a 75 kWh pack.)

If I still had the 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D I'd probably get the MCU2 upgrade ONLY when my MCU1 bit the dust.

I’m thinking the same, my 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D is now out of warranty and I did not purchase the ESA, so I was worrying at some point I’d be out of pocket to repair a failed MCU. If/when that happens I’d now go for the MCU2 upgrade

But, I'd be pretty annoyed with the missing FM option. I think that's another "its too early for that" like when they decided it would be a great idea to remove the rain sensor.

I for one won't miss FM - I never listen to FM since the local stations are all bad so I listen to USB or streaming audio instead. But I do listen to AM radio on occasion for local hockey gameday broadcasts. I could use TuneIn for that, so while annoying at least there's a workaround.

Speaking of streaming audio, can someone that uses Spotify comment on how reliably that works in their MCU2 car? Is there any improvement compared to Spotify on MCU1?

specifically in my MCU1 car, Spotify frequently stops playing after a while, and more times than not Spotify refuses to resume playing when first getting back into the car. The only way then to get it to resume playing is to first switch audio source and then back to Spotify. I've been assuming this could simply be general MCU1 / mediaplayer buggy misbehavior, or perhaps a sign of impending emmc failure? Is Spotify playback on MCU2 more solid? if so, I'm thinking that might be another plus for the upgrade.

So my question is cars made with the MCU2's do not have AM/FM/Sirius XM? I would love the upgraded MCU speed and 5g would be faster where ever I could find it, but I mean come on Tesla why are you dropping Radio and Satellite, one of the reasons some of us purchased premium audio in the first place. Since I don't have or will be getting FSD in a 2016 90D, why pay $2500 to lose more than I would gain? I find it funny how before software ver 2020.4.1 my voice commands worked just fine, and I had arcade, after 2020.4.1 arcade is now gone, and voice commands don't work, but "if you act right now for the low price of $2500 you get voice commands and arcade....."

Reactions: Hank42
So my question is cars made with the MCU2's do not have AM/FM/Sirius XM?

Current S&Xs have FM and XM, but not AM. The reason for dropping it has been covered in the threads many times. The tuner is a separate module that would have to be replaced and that would cost more.

There is a rumor that you can request to have the tuner upgraded as well, but they didn't say how much, if anything, that would cost. (My guess is ~$800 on top of the MCU2 upgrade cost.)

Reactions: OTARon