Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor accident using autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AP1 X once swerved away to the right from semi that passed too close to me in the passing lane and uss blinked red on the dash
AP wasn't even engaged so i think they are used but maybe not in the same capacity as parking
My USS 2022 MSLR shows the squiggly lines for other cars and objects like guard rails when traveling down the road.

Reactions: brainhouston
Zero chance Tesla would do anything for you with this.

I dont think USS (ultrasonic sensors) are used for anything other than parking, but if they are, someone will correct me.
I don't know if USS is used by the driving computers, but it does display on the FSD screen as you approach objects, or shows yellow or red in the corners when USS detects something. I can't image converting and displaying this information if it is not used.

Reactions: BCCA
Not sure how this is different from steering around a pothole, of which we have ample in NJ. It's your (expensive) property so just turn the wheel and avoid the obstacle. What's the problem?

I will say FSD 12 seems much better for slowing at road obstacles including speed bumps, big divots, etc. but it is far from perfect and still subpar IMHO compared to an attentive human driver at road obstacle avoidance. Maybe do your testing with an old Model 3 instead?

Reactions: MP3Mike
We are knocking Tesla specifically here but can I just ask whether any other Manufacturer would take responsibility for such an incident? I doubt it very much. I'm also dubious (please correct me if you know otherwise) that any Autopilot type system will avoid a boulder, a pot-hole, or even a bit of localised flooding. Maybe if it's big enough to detect, but it feels like a big ask for the car to detect a big enough pot-hole and swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid it, having first decided that swerving into the oncoming lane is less of a risk than hitting that pot-hole!

I have noticed that my car in FSD (subscribed for $99 per month for giggles but will probably cancel soon) hugs the right side of the lane way too close. My neighborhood has bike lines separated from the right traffic line by bollards and I swear the car has come an inch or two away from hitting them.
Yes, for some reason 12.3 FSD hugs the right side of the road, sometimes crossing it to the rumble strip. Very dangerous. I can't understand why it is doing this.

Reactions: snorp
I'm sorry for your rough introduction to Teslas and AP. Bummer!

My 2021 MY LR has ultrasonic sensors. Autopilot hit an orange cone while driving on the highway. I figured that if the cones were showing up on the display then the car knew about them and would not hit them. I was wrong. I agree with JJ. If the ultrasonic sensors are used at all then it is only for parking.

On the plus side, if FSD continues to improve then in a year or two (maybe sooner) they will move AP to the FSD stack and problems like this will be much less frequent.

I've got an AP1 car -- so this is a totally unhelpful contribution, but it's the internet and I'm trying to procrastinate...

I think the ultrasonic sensors are used only for low speed differential situations, if they're used at all -- IE they'd be used to contribute to "is it okay for me to switch lanes or is there something there I can't otherwise detect from a camera?" With AP1 -- there is only the one front-facing camera but the USS are used to detect a car behind or to the left/right if I ask the car to change lanes. Of course it won't detect a bozo zooming up behind me at warp speed into the lane I'm changing into, but that's a high speed differential situation.

Radar and ultrasonic both will have a hard time detecting high speed differential objects, for different reasons -- ultrasonic doesn't have much range and radar will filter out lots of stationary objects (and / or phantom brake like crazy).

Who'd have guessed that driving or self driving is a hard problem to solve? 6 more months I guess...