Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla chargers are the easiest but IME J1772 chargers are the most common. As other EVs become more common I'd expect non-Tesla chargers to become more common since businesses won't want to alienate people by limiting charging to Tesla only.
Well technically the Tesla connector doesn't limit you to just charging Teslas. I charge my PHEV from Tesla Destination Chargers if they're available by using an adapter that does the reverse of the Tesla J1772 adapter.
For home charging I was set to get a Tesla wall connector but my utility had an off peak charging program that was significantly cheaper but needed a 'generic' charger. Pretty easy choice there...
I'm not sure what this has to do with your utility. Did they need some charger that somehow communicates to them when you are charging?

Reactions: WhiteWi
Well technically the Tesla connector doesn't limit you to just charging Teslas. I charge my PHEV from Tesla Destination Chargers if they're available by using an adapter that does the reverse of the Tesla J1772 adapter
Although it's true, majority of other EV/PHEV drivers don't have the adapter, or even know it exists. Even they do, the price is quite high. While every Tesla now comes with J-1772 adapter.

When I test drove a MY a couple weeks ago, the J-1772 adaptor was in the mobil connector kit bag in the back of the car. I asked whether or not the J/Tesla adaptor came in the kit and was told that it did. Now, since the mobile connector kit no longer comes with the cars, that was/is the point of confusion. I was told that they are part of the kit in the case/bag. I am going with what I was told on the 19th of April. I do hope that Tesla isn't crazy enough to not include it, but I also want to be sure about this. Having one of these is the only way I can charge at home with my L2 setup. $50, no biggie, and their web store says it is still included. Hope it isn't an error on Tesla's part. Confirmation needed.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla chargers are the easiest but IME J1772 chargers are the most common. As other EVs become more common I'd expect non-Tesla chargers to become more common since businesses won't want to alienate people by limiting charging to Tesla only.

For home charging I was set to get a Tesla wall connector but my utility had an off peak charging program that was significantly cheaper but needed a 'generic' charger. Pretty easy choice there...
Like others, I Supercharge on road trips but otherwise charging needs are met at home overnight. I use Tesla’s J1772 adapter for every home charge. My EVSE with its J1772 nozzle was purchased in 2011 just before taking delivery of my 2012 Nissan LEAF. The Model 3 with the adapter allowed me to keep using the same EVSE, working very well for both cars today. When I replace the LEAF with an Ioniq5/GV60 (whichever comes first in availability), my now 11-year-old EVSE will still work. For me, not getting the Tesla wall unit has worked out well, as has the 32 amps my EVSE delivers.

Why don't they just standardize on the Tesla charger, it's clearly superior.
That would be nice. The Tesla connector is honestly the best I've seen of all of them. It's small, easy to handle and can handle both AC and DC fast charging. Even now, 10 years after Tesla came out with theirs the other systems seem primitive. I'm guessing the Tesla connector is proprietary and Tesla won't let other manufacturers use it.

It would be really nice if there was a single standard. Right now we have the Tesla standard, J-1772, CCS, ChadeMo... it's worst than VHS and Betamax.
Well technically the Tesla connector doesn't limit you to just charging Teslas. I charge my PHEV from Tesla Destination Chargers if they're available by using an adapter that does the reverse of the Tesla J1772 adapter.

I'm not sure what this has to do with your utility. Did they need some charger that somehow communicates to them when you are charging?
Like @Mingw said, they're uncommon and most people don't know about them. Also, since most public Tesla charging points are SuperChargers that have to be linked to an account their use is limited.

My charger is a modified Clipper Creek charger that allows the utility to remotely control charging times and bill separately. If I wanted to use a Tesla Wall connector I would have needed a separate meter installed.

Reactions: SJC3
CCS connector is what happens when bureaucrats committee comes up with standard vs Tesla elegant design made for people.
Sort of - the CCS connector is the result of an evolution of charging standards developed by the automakers on different continents. From what I understand, different plugs were designed in the US and Europe and the initial plug had AC charging only. They later added D/C capabilities but added separate connectors to them to allow backwards compatibility, then needed to upsize the connectors to allow higher currents that newer cars can accept.

The Tesla connector is actually quite impressive - Tesla clearly thought through all of this early on. The Tesla connector allows for both A/C and D/C charging, has plenty of current capacity and also allows for communication with the charging infrastructure so the vehicle is automatically liked to an account via the supercharger. (I did confirm that the Tesla connector is proprietary, which is too bad. I'd rather see Tesla connectors proliferate than CCS connectors)

The only minor advantage I saw with CCS is the newer standard apparently allows for bidirectional current flow so you potentially could run your house off of your car in the event of a power outage.

• Informative
Reactions: boulder.dude
A buddy who was up at the Bloomington IL store and was told yes you are charged for the Charger up front with your order but the charger would be shipped to you immediately so you can arrange for any installation tasks prior to taking delivery. That makes sense then Tesla holding your money as a “free loan” as some have suggested.

A buddy who was up at the Bloomington IL store and was told yes you are charged for the Charger up front with your order but the charger would be shipped to you immediately so you can arrange for any installation tasks prior to taking delivery. That makes sense then Tesla holding your money as a “free loan” as some have suggested.
only make sense for the wall charger...

Since the mobile charger isn’t in stock and per Tesla won’t be until August, that is a “free loan”.
May be different for the wall charger, but since that’s in stock in the store might as well just buy it from the store whenever you want to.

Since the mobile charger isn’t in stock and per Tesla won’t be until August, that is a “free loan”.
May be different for the wall charger, but since that’s in stock in the store might as well just buy it from the store whenever you want to.
It's only a 'free loan' if Tesla takes your money and doesn't ship the product.

From what people have posted above, the charger options are included on the order page for convenience but are actually treated as separate store purchases. If this is the case, I expect they would be treated like any other store purchase: the item is billed and shipped immediately if it is in stock. If it is not in stock then your information is held and it is billed and shipped once available. Either way, you are paying at the time of shipment for the product so it's not a free loan, it's no different than any other store purchase.

Getting the wall connector ahead of time makes sense since it can take time to arrange for installation. The mobile connector doesn't really matter, but since it's not in stock I would want to order it with my car to minimize the chances of not having a means of charging once my car arrives. This does raise another question - with the mobile connector on backorder, I wonder if Tesla will prioritize orders linked to car orders over general store orders, since they are more likely to be customers' primary or only means of charging?

It's only a 'free loan' if Tesla takes your money and doesn't ship the product.

From what people have posted above, the charger options are included on the order page for convenience but are actually treated as separate store purchases. If this is the case, I expect they would be treated like any other store purchase: the item is billed and shipped immediately if it is in stock. If it is not in stock then your information is held and it is billed and shipped once available. Either way, you are paying at the time of shipment for the product so it's not a free loan, it's no different than any other store purchase.

Getting the wall connector ahead of time makes sense since it can take time to arrange for installation. The mobile connector doesn't really matter, but since it's not in stock I would want to order it with my car to minimize the chances of not having a means of charging once my car arrives. This does raise another question - with the mobile connector on backorder, I wonder if Tesla will prioritize orders linked to car orders over general store orders, since they are more likely to be customers' primary or only means of charging?
Free loan as in 0%, not free money. If a company takes your money without actually having the product, it’s a 0% interest loan. Think Kickstarter. At Tesla’s size; $200 x tens of thousands of orders will relate to millions in free money. This artificially bumps their earnings as they won’t show a loss to to pay out of pocket to pay for the products and wait until later to earn a profit on them.
Most reputable companies don’t do this. They will let you pre-order or order an out-of-stock product, but won’t charge you until it ships.
For those who say this isn’t a money grab. If Elon really just wants to be less wasteful, he could have just made it an option at order.
They could just let you select a mobile charger for free or decline if you don’t need one.
This would be the way it would have been set up if it were truly just Tesla trying to be more environmentally friendly.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
At Tesla’s size; $200 x tens of thousands of orders will relate to millions in free money. This artificially bumps their earnings as they won’t show a loss to to pay out of pocket to pay for the products and wait until later to earn a profit on them.
Most reputable companies don’t do this.
They're targeting 1.6 million units this year. That's $200 x 1,600,000 = $320,000,000 in additional revenue on this fiasco alone.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, that's the problem. We lived in a condo about 25 years ago that was built pretty cheaply. (ok, very cheaply.) I remember one day as I was replacing a faucet thinking "if they had just spent another $25 they could have had a decent faucet instead of the cheap one." Then I thought some more - 2 faucets per unit, 150 units in the complex ends up being $7500. they make 10 or 15 choices like that and suddenly they've saved over $100k on a 150 unit complex. No one notices the difference when they tour the unit - a faucet's a faucet, right? so they pay the same amount of money but the developer is $100k richer.

Same thing goes with Tesla. Most people don't think about the charger, they think about the car, so they've made their decisions based on other factors and Tesla still sells the car (especially in the current market) but the company makes an extra $200 in profit per unit which adds up. you gotta love accountants.

They're targeting 1.6 million units this year. That's $200 x 1,600,000 = $320,000,000 in additional revenue on this fiasco alone.
Tesla is certainly greedy here, but your numbers are not exactly right. in some markets (e.g. china) it's been a while mobile charger doesn't come with the car. also, this started 4/28, so only 8 months left.

Of course. Musk being Musk. If he can squeeze another dime out of you, he will.
Any business won't hand out freebies if it is found that the majority of people don't use them. The cable and connector are expensive, and rather than waste such things, Tesla (not Musk) wants only to get them to those who WILL use them. I'm sure most of the complainers here know this. Perhaps Tesla should have offered to "cut" the price of their car $400 if you didn't want any charging cords, right? But they don't know if people will use a wall charger or just a cord. If you're paying for a hundred-thousand-dollar car, surely anyone could fork over another half a percent for the adapter, IF they need it. And if they don't, why get one if it's just going to sit unused in the box? Or even in your frunk?