Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any Model S owners on the road between Seymour and Shepperton? I need to visit a customer up that way most likely next week and its right on the maximum range for me. I do have my handy dandy 10A/16A charger but its just a dribble at 12Kms per hour. I wondered if I could suck up for a part charge on a 32A real charger somewhere in between.?

I was looking at the ordering site Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors to see if any more info on when the mobile charger is released and noticed it says 10amp only... and dual chargers is no longer an option

Also makes me think that heosat has a euro version Mat Peterson on Twitter: and we won't see them in Australia.
The EVR3 - TYPE 2 - MAX 22 KW - EVR3 - Type 2 - max 22 kW - e-Station Store
looks like it should do the trick. Would be nice to talk to someone who has used one. I am communicating via this forum with a future owner in Europe who has ordered one.

I was looking at the ordering site Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors to see if any more info on when the mobile charger is released and noticed it says 10amp only... and dual chargers is no longer an option
In the States, the second charger was removed from the design center (factory will only install one charger) and the price of the second charger with installation at a service center was reduced from $3,600 to $2,000. So, it seems they decided to streamline the factory and only install single chargers. It's a shame the price of the second charger went up $500, but I hear the take rate was pretty low now that the Supercharger network is getting filled out over here. Since I don't see an online accessory store for Australia, someone should ask Tesla Australia if they have implemented the same policy regarding the second charger. Then again, maybe it's going to be like UK where they decided to install dual charger hardware across the board and asked for an activation fee for over 11kW charging, making the single phase-single charger limitation disappear.

How come?

because they aren't tested and approved for australian standards one they have a Australian plug they become a declared article with a penalty "The maximum penalty for selling, importing, hiring or exchanging ‘declared articles’ without ‘electrical safety approval marks’ and an Australian Certificate of Approval is $82,500 and/or 2 years jail for individuals or $825,000 for corporations." Safe electrical goods - NSW Fair Trading these are the laws that are meant to protect us form this Faulty USB phone charger blamed for Sheryl Aldeguer's death etc.

general disclaimer I have no legal training etc.. etc..

So, i guess that to obtain that approval will cost mucho dinero, yes?
Tesla told me yesterday that their version, the 10 amp only one, is due "soon". The 3 phase connector, unsurprisingly, has been delayed until at least mid year. That actually does not bother me too much other than the fact that i paid heaps of Dinero to get a 3 phase supply to the mounting point, and that i have dual chargers. Also, since they were very kind to place superchargers very nearly on my doorstep, i do most of my serious charging there and only really top off at home.

So, i guess that to obtain that approval will cost mucho dinero, yes?
Tesla told me yesterday that their version, the 10 amp only one, is due "soon". The 3 phase connector, unsurprisingly, has been delayed until at least mid year. That actually does not bother me too much other than the fact that i paid heaps of Dinero to get a 3 phase supply to the mounting point, and that i have dual chargers. Also, since they were very kind to place superchargers very nearly on my doorstep, i do most of my serious charging there and only really top off at home.

approval varies in cost $2k up to over $10k. and with Tesla's constant "soon" talk it's hard to make a business decision on the viability of a 3rd party mobile cable.

approval varies in cost $2k up to over $10k. and with Tesla's constant "soon" talk it's hard to make a business decision on the viability of a 3rd party mobile cable.

My concern also stems from this. It is encouraging others to seek out and get certified other solutions, when I believe the Tesla supplied one is fine and should offer capability to multiple charging rates and plugs. The issue is we are a tiny market and lack of clarity is driving to others to bring out product. This will further dilute the ROI and drive up cost. We are going to end up with a lot of costly solutions if they don't hurry up..

My concern also stems from this. It is encouraging others to seek out and get certified other solutions, when I believe the Tesla supplied one is fine and should offer capability to multiple charging rates and plugs. The issue is we are a tiny market and lack of clarity is driving to others to bring out product. This will further dilute the ROI and drive up cost. We are going to end up with a lot of costly solutions if they don't hurry up..

Of course rolling out Superchargers more quickly would somewhat alleviate the immediate much of the current needs for mobile chargers.

Teslas mobile connector costs A$845.00 odd on the web shop. Mind you, that includes up to 40 amps. I have a bad feeling about what the cost of the 10amp only one will be once it finally gets here.
Any ideas, on local pricing here, Heosat?
The multi amp Euro one which includes 3 phase capability is around A$1000.00. And then you still need adaptors.....

Teslas mobile connector costs A$845.00 odd on the web shop. Mind you, that includes up to 40 amps. I have a bad feeling about what the cost of the 10amp only one will be once it finally gets here.
Any ideas, on local pricing here, Heosat?
The multi amp Euro one which includes 3 phase capability is around A$1000.00. And then you still need adaptors.....

I'm only guessing, but I think it will have adaptors as needed for various options up to 40 amps.

the other problem is Australia has lots and I mean lots of approved sockets 3 pin 240V in 10,15,20,32 amps Industrial IP66 3 Pin Industrial Outlets and Sockets 3 Pin Switched Socket Combination Industrial outlets IP66

4 pin 415V which wouldn't be usable since EVs want to see neutral and earth separate Industrial IP66 4 Pin Industrial Outlets and Sockets 4 pin Switched Socket Combination Industrial outlets IP66 in 10,20,32,40,50 amps

then 5 pin 415V in Industrial IP66 5 Pin Industrial Outlets and Sockets 5 Pin IP66 Switched Socket Combination Industrial outlets 10,20,32,40,50.

we actually use some of the more obscure amperages and sockets on UPS feed cables because it means they are unlikely to be unplugged and have something else plugged into them.

I think the Tesla cable may only come in 10,15amp and if lucky 32amp 5pin because after you move past that things get confusing and varied.

The three phase outlets are in city parks and caravan parks throughout the country.

- - - Updated - - -

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Cable Covers | Cable Cover Protector Australia | CableSafe