TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MobilEye's approach

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by lunitiks, Mar 26, 2017.

1. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Isn't Mobileye = Intel now? Like *unlimited* legal resources?

So if - if - there is a legal showdown, it will surely be huge. Like totally massive. If.

(Just my 2 decapitated presidents' heirs)

2. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Senior Software Engineer

#82 Bladerskb, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    same placement, same angle

3. croman

croman Active Member

You can't assume that, due to conflicts, Intel's outside counsel will be the same as ME. Or anything really about how their decision-making is structured. Maybe Intel will disclose that as part of their SEC filings but I don't believe that level of detail is known. I could be wrong.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That video's from November 2016 though and is a different angle than the one shown in the 2015 video. Tesla can easily claim prior art.
    The article says specifically they are asserting claims on 4 patents.

• Informative x 1
  5. Bladerskb

They never once talked about patent throughout the lawsuit so far everything that has been public is related to trade secret. As uber has already said they are not using any of Google patent as they are using an off the self velodyne lidar on their cars. Everything has been focused on the trade secret.

In fact just now

Waymo’s claims of trade secret theft could result in criminal case

6. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

So mobileye does not use Deep reinforcement learning?

7. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

From where is Tesla getting HD maps?

Does Mobileye use Deep Learning?Bit confused.

8. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

What are you talking about?

what unsupervised approach?? Unsupervised learning is not being used in any real autonomous system that I know of. And neither is end-to-end learning. (image->steering angle)

• Disagree x 1
  9. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

Mobileye is doing research on deep reinforcement learning that will run on deep recurrent neural networks, that will run on Intel silicon. This may not happen for several years though.

10. Bladerskb

mobileye already uses deep learning in their eyeq3 chip

11. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

Ok, but Tesla uses CNN for vision and Deep Reinforcement learning for driving policy?

12. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

CNN? I'll give you CNN

[​IMG]

13. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

:)
    CNN is Convolution Neural Network.

14. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

#94 Snuffysasa, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Agreed. they are using deep learning, but not deep reinforcement learning.... well I wouldn't say the eyeQ3 is doing any kind of "learning." Simply using a trained CNN for inferencing. The eyeq4 and eyeq5 will use much more CNNs and bigger ones.

However, neural nets that mobileye trains with deep reinforcement learning, which will most likely not be a CNN. Those will not run on EyeQ and will have to run on a separate host processor. But this is a couple years away.

Yes Tesla uses CNN for Tesla vision.

Who knows what Tesla is doing for driving policy or if they are even considering driving policy yet.

Driving Policy is not necessary for L4 fully autonomous driving. Driving Policy will just make future L4 L5 cars more efficient and better at handling complex traffic scenarios. But like I said this is years away.

It is possible that Tesla autopilot will use some form of neural net for path planning / decision making / control for FSD. but there is no details about this or nothing to confirm this that I am aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if no neural nets / AI is used in Tesla cars other than for Vision. Also there is no details or evidence that Tesla is doing any deep reinforcement learning either.

• Informative x 1
  15. Bladerskb

Sorry i most have skipped over the question and missed the 'reinforcement' part. Mobileye however has created and continues to create driving policies for their eyeq4 that is based on reinforcement learning.
    However i disagree with you that driving policies aren't needed for L4(and i assume you meant something like highway, etc).
    The example that Mobileye put out is a good reason why.

16. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

Nothing in mobileye eyeq3 or eyeq4 is the product of deep reinforcement learning.

Mobileye is developing algorithms created with deep reinforcement learning, and these algorithms will run on other host processors not EyeQ.

And I did not mean something like highway. Driving policy is not needed for a fully autonomous city driving.

17. Bladerskb

source? because mine disagrees strongly.

[​IMG]

18. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

how does that disagree?
    No where does it say that EyeQ3 or 4 uses something related to deep reinforcement learning.

• Disagree x 1
  19. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

I level 4 decisions regarding lane merges, to yield or not, may need a policy.

Anyway, so currently once CNN derect something the decision making is all hard coded / rule based?

20. Bladerskb

driving policy algorithms runs on eyeq4, it says it right there...