Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot suddenly tried to turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this to see if it is a common occurrence with these road markings or situation and maybe Tesla can learn from it. 70mph 4 people 3 woken up from it :D, car suddenly pulls hard to the left I grip and it gives to the resistance and put myself back in line. I did not indicate to turn and I do not have FSD just AP lane keeping etc. It was a surprise. Sat nav was just showing straight ahead. So what made it make the decision to turn? I have also had this on the way into Peterborough, its likes the turn off a mile before I turn off in that case and that would be into the corner of a barrier. I forgot to record that one if it does it I will try to save.

Video:

I’ve had the same issue where the car should look further down the road to see that the road does indeed continue on even though there is something close by that looks like a curved turn off.

We have a spot where there are lane turn marking across the road and the car tries to take them to the right (from lanes coming in from the left). This seems to be better recently.

Definitely think the camera should look further ahead to see that the preferred course is straight.

Reactions: CertLive
This is pretty common. Locally for me, one highway had good continuous dashed lines at each exit merge (on or off) and AP does great. Another highway often shorts the dashes both on and off, and the car will wobble towards the momentarily "wider" lane. Just something to be ready for - especially with sleeping passengers, but also in heavier traffic.

I am posting this to see if it is a common occurrence with these road markings or situation and maybe Tesla can learn from it. 70mph 4 people 3 woken up from it :D, car suddenly pulls hard to the left I grip and it gives to the resistance and put myself back in line. I did not indicate to turn and I do not have FSD just AP lane keeping etc. It was a surprise. Sat nav was just showing straight ahead. So what made it make the decision to turn? I have also had this on the way into Peterborough, its likes the turn off a mile before I turn off in that case and that would be into the corner of a barrier. I forgot to record that one if it does it I will try to save.

Video:

I don't believe it had anything at all to do with the arrows on the ground at all.

My car does the same thing yours does - everyday.

Your car - like mine was trying to center itself in the lane. That's what FSD/Autopilot does. We as humans have to watch the rules of markings on the ground just like the car does.

In your video......Watch the 2 outside lane lines split themselves apart. Your car was just centering itself between the lines.

The problem is that the markings on the ground in your video are officially WRONG. That's NOT how you draw marking on the ground for that exit. I complained to the proper authorities here in Chicagoland to correct one of their exit ramp markings because it was legally wrong....and they did it. Now my car doesn't do what yours did anymore.

like this stupidity.

d023ab9116d6ecad080e1a5bba6dd033.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: toolman335
The two large diverging arrows painted on the road confused the lane tracking. They are very strange non-standard markings. Very prominent complex markings create the most problems.

Interesting, so rather than the sudden break in lines its using the information from the arrows to follow? I wonder if it would have done this move if there was a car alongside pulling into that lane? Or would that have caused a different reaction? The other turnoff it has done it on does not have these arrows or break in the line. I will try and capture this in the future but I cant see the relation. This one I assumed it lost the left line and thought the road was turning like a bend because the steering movement was quite a bit off center line. My immediate reaction was to correct it and that movement to the right is the car letting go and the force transferring right a bit. I wonder what the car would have done if left to go through with it.

Reactions: JasonR67
Interesting, so rather than the sudden break in lines its using the information from the arrows to follow? I wonder if it would have done this move if there was a car alongside pulling into that lane? Or would that have caused a different reaction? The other turnoff it has done it on does not have these arrows or break in the line. I will try and capture this in the future but I cant see the relation. This one I assumed it lost the left line and thought the road was turning like a bend because the steering movement was quite a bit off center line. My immediate reaction was to correct it and that movement to the right is the car letting go and the force transferring right a bit. I wonder what the car would have done if left to go through with it.

No...its NOT using arrows at all. Its using lane lines.

My Autopilot on HW2.5 did the same thing and it didn't even know what an arrow was.

The two large diverging arrows painted on the road confused the lane tracking. They are very strange non-standard markings. Very prominent complex markings create the most problems.

That's incorrect. The car does not navigate via arrows.

Only HW3.0 can even see arrows. My HW2.5 was doing the same thing as his car did. When the highway authorities repainted the lines correctly here.....my car was not doing what his car did anymore.

The outside lane lines got wider and the car was centering itself between the lines.

AutoPilot in his case worked just fine - the way it should have.

Last edited:
The problem is that people don't know how AP works from a technical / computer standpoint.

Then people start making things up to blame AP... arrows on the road..... and everything but what it really is.

True can be surprising for some but I will say from experience driving an Eniro 2019 LKA and a Sportage 2017 s-line with even more basic lane keeping assist did not pull me off for these when running on the left. But if the markings are legally wrong I am at a loss there. This is just my experience so far. This situation is not avoidable at the moment. Improve it must.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
True can be surprising for some but I will say from experience driving an Eniro 2019 LKA and a Sportage 2017 s-line with even more basic lane keeping assist did not pull me off for these when running on the left. But if the markings are legally wrong I am at a loss there. This is just my experience so far. This situation is not avoidable at the moment. Improve it must.

Well...keep in mind that FSD wouldn't have done that because the car would have had a destination in mind - just like you did as a human. You didn't tell the car what to do. You just told it to center itself in the lane and it did it - even though the lane started to get wider.

Remember FSD does more than just lane keep. FSD would have stayed to the right and would have indicated its intent on the screen.

More importantly.....your car didn't pull you anywhere. It was keeping itself between the outside lane lines. The car thought the lane was getting wider and it perfectly tried to center itself between those outside lane lines that were getting wider and wider.

DO this..... watch the blue outside lines whenever this happens again and watch those blue lines get wider and wider in your scenario. The car knows nothing about an exit or anything in lane keep.

The video is from the UK. I'm gonna make a guess that what you state are non-standard markings are simply non-USA markings.

Anyhow, this is pretty typical behaviour when a new lane appears (or even when one disappears depending on the lines). Usually until there is a full distinct lane, AP treats it as one wider lane and tries to center you with that. Not saying it's correct behaviour, but fairly typical for it.

I am however surprised with what it did in this case, as a line does continue straight to separate the new lane from yours. It could be like I said and since it wasn't a full distinct lane quite yet, it reacted strongly to the suddenly "wider" lane which you reacted quickly to correct.

Thanks for paying attention while using AP btw!

Reactions: Garlan Garner
The video is from the UK. I'm gonna make a guess that what you state are non-standard markings are simply non-USA markings.

Anyhow, this is pretty typical behaviour when a new lane appears (or even when one disappears depending on the lines). Usually until there is a full distinct lane, AP treats it as one wider lane and tries to center you with that. Not saying it's correct behaviour, but fairly typical for it.

I am however surprised with what it did in this case, as a line does continue straight to separate the new lane from yours. It could be like I said and since it wasn't a full distinct lane quite yet, it reacted strongly to the suddenly "wider" lane which you reacted quickly to correct.

Thanks for paying attention while using AP btw!

Good point.....I didn't see that he was in the UK.

They might have different lane rule markings than the US.

Happens all the time to me in a stretch that expands from a single lane to 2 lanes. The road gets wider, and the car centers itself until the lines begin, then it picks a lane (usually the same one, but not always). It steers hard into the lane and then corrects and centers. I turn off AP before getting to that section now, but try it now and then to see if the software has improved (it hasn't for this case). I've also had a problem in bright sunshine with road cracks that run parallel to the lane filled with shiny sealant. The car can't decide if the crack or the paint is the lane marking and shimmies side to side trying to center itself on whatever signal is coming back stronger. Got a ways to go...

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Happens all the time to me in a stretch that expands from a single lane to 2 lanes. The road gets wider, and the car centers itself until the lines begin, then it picks a lane (usually the same one, but not always). It steers hard into the lane and then corrects and centers. I turn off AP before getting to that section now, but try it now and then to see if the software has improved (it hasn't for this case). I've also had a problem in bright sunshine with road cracks that run parallel to the lane filled with shiny sealant. The car can't decide if the crack or the paint is the lane marking and shimmies side to side trying to center itself on whatever signal is coming back stronger. Got a ways to go...

I wonder if this is going to cause Tesla accelerate its way to FSD only.

I wonder if this is going to cause Tesla accelerate its way to FSD only.

Well like every tech head I want to wonder at this marvel. But there are some very intelligent people on these forums who might tell me otherwise but my interpretation of current status and using the software myself. My car is equipped with a full self driving computer by label so I can only go by Tesla stating that because that's all they need to achieve it and it is a powerhouse for AI. If not then it would be a major miss sale of a car.

The term FSD translates to - "cars or trucks in which human drivers are never required to take control to safely operate the vehicle. Also known as autonomous or 'driver-less' cars, they combine sensors and software to control, navigate, and drive the vehicle."

Which means to me it has to deal with every situation. Like a car parked upside down halfway across the street, think about it and deal with all the weird stuff humans throw at it and still get you home. Even doing a U turn if safe to do so away from the blockage. There are a million combinations.

+ software improvements, legislation, legality of it all with the governments. 5 Years away at the earliest so 2025. By then my computer will be a mantle piece or it gets a free upgrade :D. But I pray for sooner please!