Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MS has a fabulous rear back up camera. Super impressed by the clarity and low light view from it. Don't have our Model 3 yet to compare. The initial images shown in this thread look fuzzy but I'm thinking that could be that it's due to a camera taking a picture of a screen and either not focused the best or degregated because of it. Hoping to get more feedback from more owners but seeing it for myself in my new car would be best :D.

48443592-6325-4188-A45D-C9321FF19480.jpeg
It’s not the same as an S or an X - but I find it completely appropriate for the job.

Our MS has a fabulous rear back up camera. Super impressed by the clarity and low light view from it. Don't have our Model 3 yet to compare. The initial images shown in this thread look fuzzy but I'm thinking that could be that it's due to a camera taking a picture of a screen and either not focused the best or degregated because of it. Hoping to get more feedback from more owners but seeing it for myself in my new car would be best :D.
Harsh title, I know. It's true though. For a bit of context, I already own a Model S and love the backup camera. I know, the M3 isn't the MS... but wow... the M3's backup camera is seriously awful.

There is a terrible fisheye effect going on and the camera is so dark, in both day and night situations, that I thought the lens was covered with something. I have since checked out the lens and it is clean an unobstructed.

With my Model S I rely on the camera for backing down the driveway and parking. I love it. It inspires confidence when reversing.

With my Model 3 I sigh every time I put the car in reverse. It is worse than a 2000 year end vehicle from just about any manufacturer. The camera is so bad that I can't tell how close I am to other cars, etc...

I can't imagine that the MS camera cost that much more... I also can't imagine Elon has seen how bad this thing is. I wonder if it is just mine or if this is a common thing.

I have attached a few quick pictures (which oddly enough look better than reality).

Wow, the first negative Model 3 post, which is pretty incredible if when you think back to the early Model X days.:D
Those images don't look to bad coming from mainstream cars, but we MS and MX owners are a fairly spoiled lot. Hopefully they find a way to bring it close to parity with other Tesla models.

Reactions: White
The backup camera being of lesser quality was one of the first things I noticed too, but it's hardly a deal breaker. It's not going to strike most drivers as "bad" because its as good or better than anything in an ICE. Compared to the S though, it's more distorted and the contrast is kinda wonky depending on lighting. I also noticed it produces some unsightly strobing in my garage when the fluorescent lights are on.

In broad daylight it looks OK, but there is something clearly wrong with the image processing/warping and white balance.

In the 2014 Model S the backup camera image quality is obviously less than 2017 Model S HD camera. But both of those cameras and images are well calibrated with proper exposure.

I'm expecting a fix to the backup camera via software. If it cannot be done I would look for hardware replacement. Not sure if the rear cameara is used as part of the AP system or not.

All of these nit picky things about the model 3 from people who already have the car!!! I would just like my car!
If your so disappointed let me know and I will come take it off your hands for you
Again I just want my model 3!

PM me if you want to buy it.... for a markup of course. ;) (Seriously) Gonna grab another P100D (S) I think.

This is gonna seem odd... but the iPhone snaps look better than the actual image on the M3 screen. I think it lightened up the very dark screen. I will take more photos/videos soon.