Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why anyone is expecting this to be the same as a Model S. If you want that, buy a Model S. This is a lower-priced car & some components are going to be in a lower price range. Also, while some of you are saying that Model S owners will expect more ... most Model 3 owners are NOT going to be Model S owners.

And again, I've now spent three days riding shotgun in my sister's new Model 3 and the backup camera images have been great quality and more than suitable for the job. (Her reaction? "This is great! Wow!") It's not high-def television. Nor is it advertised as such. It's a backup camera.

Bonnie, understand your point but for the most part now we're going to see all current/past Tesla owners who ordered getting their cars so I think the comparisons will be made regardless. Kind of natural to do.
It's natural to do, but I don't understand the folks who think whatever they like in their S should be exactly the same in the Model 3. It's not going to be the same.

On the other hand, there are some things to like. I LOVE the air venting system in the Model 3, for instance. Thing of beauty.

What I miss most from the X is the 2nd display...don't really care about the speedometer but having navigation and music info is a huge plus.

In terms of driving...I miss the ride quality of the X. With the 3 I really feel every bump on the ground.
Hah. You obviously haven't spent much time in a Roadster. :)

The backup camera being of lesser quality was one of the first things I noticed too, but it's hardly a deal breaker. It's not going to strike most drivers as "bad" because its as good or better than anything in an ICE. Compared to the S though, it's more distorted and the contrast is kinda wonky depending on lighting. I also noticed it produces some unsightly strobing in my garage when the fluorescent lights are on.

The “it’s as good or better than anything in an ICE car”seems to get thrown an awful lot by people who have a poor grasp of what high end automakers competing with Tesla are offering in the $50K price range.

My car has very good cameras including 360 bird’s eye surround view as well as peek-a-boo cameras in the front fenders that offer a view of surroundings as you pull out of tight alleyways or parking spots.

Tesla needs to do better because some of us expect more at $50,000.

The “it’s as good or better than anything in an ICE car”seems to get thrown an awful lot by people who have a poor grasp of what high end automakers competing with Tesla are offering in the $50K price range.

My car has very good cameras including 360 bird’s eye surround view as well as peek-a-boo cameras in the front fenders that offer a view of surroundings as you pull out of tight alleyways or parking spots.

It’s certainly as good or better than my 12 year old Acura :D

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
I'd like to know if the Model 3 backup camera is close to parity with my 2013 and 2015 Model S camera. They too are quite dark at night w/no lights when reversing. When I look at OP's images, I'm not seeing anything that's jumping out at me as different than those. If that's the case, I'd say this is all pretty logical that Model S & X in 2017 would have a more capable backup camera than Model 3 or my older Ss; which are still awesome to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Got-EMF

I dunno, I've seen backup cameras in recent 40-50k luxury cars that are straight up lousy. The whole infotainment thing in my brother's new Audi looks prehistoric, and that wasn't a cheap car. Meanwhile, you can get a 360 degree birds eye view in a Nissan Versa. Does that make it the superior choice? Someone coming from a Versa might miss this feature, but surely the 3 has some other redeeming qualities.

I think it's okay if the Model 3 isn't the absolute best car in every conceivable category. I wish it had a better backup camera, but I'll live, because its pretty darn great in a lot of other ways.

Well, I haven't read every single post in this thread and maybe someone else has noticed it as well, but the OP posted pictures and the first one is looking into the sun for a washout effect. One of the others looks to be just at dusk/dawn and all camera's have a problem with that transition.

I think we are discussing this because the M3 camera is sub-Tesla standard. I will agree that there will be many things that we can't expect from the more affordable M3 vs MS, but the rear camera just isn't one of them. Price difference can't possibly justify skimping here. With AP2.5 hardware suite standard, having anything less than an equal camera (if not better) is the only choice here IMO. I'm okay with it if it is just post processing and gain/gamma settings in software to be tweaked. The issue that I have is who knows why the camera is sub-Tesla quality? Do you trust that the DS is really in the know? I feel like we're told that we tend to know more on this forum than the average DS. So how do we ever get the real details here? Tweeting Elon is like trying to win the lottery. It just doesn't feel like Tesla has very good channels to communicate this stuff, which is why we get all spun up. No first hand knowledge here, but from reading this thread, I don't think that the camera "sucks". It should be better. And it might get there. Maybe. I'd like to keep the "to-do" list for the software team as short as possible because they seem grossly under staffed and the longer that list gets, the less likely it becomes for the issues that bug you will ever get fixed. Just ask how long some MS owners have been waiting for rain sensing wipers, or.....

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18