Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why anyone is expecting this to be the same as a Model S. If you want that, buy a Model S. This is a lower-priced car & some components are going to be in a lower price range. Also, while some of you are saying that Model S owners will expect more ... most Model 3 owners are NOT going to be Model S owners.

And again, I've now spent three days riding shotgun in my sister's new Model 3 and the backup camera images have been great quality and more than suitable for the job. (Her reaction? "This is great! Wow!") It's not high-def television. Nor is it advertised as such. It's a backup camera.
Bonnie, @White's complaint about the backup camera is in low light situations. What is your opinion in those situations? The daylight image you posted looks fine BTW.

First day/night with the M3 yesterday.

No, the camera is not HD-sharp like the MS. However, it's solidly decent and the backup lines are exceedingly accurate when parking.

Only problematic issue is the image darkness. Presumably one of the many early-days software/calibration issues which will be fixed.

Our DS specifically mentioned that Tesla wanted to roll out to experienced Tesla owners after employees and before general public so we could start with a basis of Tesla understanding, be able to handle v1.0 issues, and provide feedback to enable their rapid resolution.

First day/night with the M3 yesterday.

No, the camera is not HD-sharp like the MS. However, it's solidly decent and the backup lines are exceedingly accurate when parking.

Only problematic issue is the image darkness. Presumably one of the many early-days software/calibration issues which will be fixed.

Our DS specifically mentioned that Tesla wanted to roll out to experienced Tesla owners after employees and before general public so we could start with a basis of Tesla understanding, be able to handle v1.0 issues, and provide feedback to enable their rapid resolution.

And going to owner/former owners is the smart way to go for those very reasons the DH expressed. We already know how a Tesla should operate with most features the same/similar so can skip over the "oh i didn't realize or read that". Also gives them the ability to kind of reward your previous faith in the company and products by giving priority. The added bonus this year for first production is the full federal credit.

I'm interested to know why Tesla chose to use a different BUC (HW) than S and X. All the other cameras look the same to me...

More research needed
Bonnie, @White's complaint about the backup camera is in low light situations. What is your opinion in those situations? The daylight image you posted looks fine BTW.
I haven't specifically compared, but since my sis had me do all the night driving, I know I used it plenty of times ... and it just didn't register as a problem (again, I wasn't specifically judging quality, just driving)

Reactions: MP3Mike
As the owner of a Model S and a Model 3, I have to agree the backup camera is horrible on the 3. No idea why they'd release it with such a horrible image, and I'm sure hoping it can really be improved with software. The fisheye effect is not irrelevant, it makes it hard to really assess what's happening behind you, especially if you're used to the one on the S. The darker image makes it worse... bad in the daytime, really dangerous/unusable in the nighttime.

It's one of the definite sore spots for me in the comparison... but as I'll post elsewhere, in almost every other comparison of the driving experience between the two cars, the 3 wins. The model 3 interior, driving dynamics, UI/UX, and overall feel of refinement make my relatively new Model S feel very dated. More convinced than ever that Tesla will have to serious upgrade the model S interior... I'm now regretting putting the big money into my P90DL-->P100DL upgrade. Should have saved that money for the inevitable Model S 2.0 (3.0?) vehicle that is soon to come.

There's a lot of ambient light interfering in this video but it's a pretty good example regardless. BTW, you may need to join the group in order to see this.

Thanks m8. Just from your video I can’t see what ppl are complaining about. On the contrary, it seems to me like a much bigger display of the BUC image... Am I wrong?

EDIT: Ok, I notice ppl have problems with exposure, lagging etc which ur vid doesnt depict

Driving fundamentals!!!
It may be poor but ALWAYS use and check your mirrors while you are driving. Backup cams is only complementary safety feature to check what is directly behind you out of sight and how close you are to object behind you.

When I have to teach my kid how to drive I'm covering the backup camera. If we are still driving ourselves by then...

I think we are discussing this because the M3 camera is sub-Tesla standard.

No, we're discussing this because people seem to be unable to distinguish hardware from software. Complaints about the image you see are software complaints. It's not about the camera. The camera is pretty obviously excellent.

And complaining that the software isn't done right is clearly pointless. Of course it isn't done and it isn't right. Still lots to do. Eventually it will get better, as various bugs are fixed and features are implemented. And, thanks to software update, all the cars will get better. There is nothing here that Tesla doesn't know about. They made trade-offs to get the car out the door, and things that aren't good are deliberately just good enough so that something more important could get done. If it concerns you much, don't take delivery of a Model 3 for a year or so and everything will be much better.

Just curious how the camera is "obviously excellent" ?
Well, I have a Model 3 so I'm seeing what I'm seeing, not a picture posted on the forum. The image is high resolution and painfully contrasty -- clearly set so that the image analysis by the vision system can be most effective. And the fish-eye distortion gets the maximum area possible. It's not yet adjusted for human consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
I believe the camera is ok, maybe even better quality than the MS. The fish eye I can handle and actually appreciate it as just an hour ago was backing out of a slanted parking spot onto the main road (cars coming my direction - from left - which makes my mirror blocked by car next to me. Fish eye solved that problem.
However, I do believe the contrast is a little stark in all lighting situations - a software fix.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde