Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 for commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,
I am about to take delivery of a M3P. I chose the 3 primarily because of have a 200 mile commute. I plan on using Autopilot substantially, and may even spring for Enhanced. However seeing recent instances of phantom braking issues has got me worried.

Could someone who is in a circumstance similar to mine (commute distance) and who has recently taken delivery comment on how big an issue this is? All my commute is highway.

You'll get the same range as a long range if you downsize the size. The OEM M3P wheel is 20x9. The long range standard is 18x8.5. Only hard part is finding a wheel that fits over the M3P caliper.

Like others have mentioned the phantom braking has been reduced but its still there. My own opinion here but I don't think its ever going to be 100% resolved until they get a radar sensor agreeing/disagreeing with what the vision system sees. I personally don't use cruise control with others in the car cause its embarrassing when it happens.

Howdy,
I am about to take delivery of a M3P. I chose the 3 primarily because of have a 200 mile commute. I plan on using Autopilot substantially, and may even spring for Enhanced. However seeing recent instances of phantom braking issues has got me worried.

Could someone who is in a circumstance similar to mine (commute distance) and who has recently taken delivery comment on how big an issue this is? All my commute is highway.
Phantom braking hasn't been an issue for me in about a year. Spots, on back roads, that had strong shadows and elevation changes that triggered phantom braking in the past, instead, show FCW, ie Forward Collision Warnings, now, which doesn't slow the car.

As for a 200 mile commute, if you have charging at work, that would be helpful. Because, at highway+ speeds in Texas, you may find yourself using more charge than you expected.

The cruise control works fine. Yeah, it's afraid of ghosts on occasion, which can be unsettling for a passenger but is not a significant issue for the driver - you just have to nudge the Gauss pedal every once in a while. It's like walking a distracted dog.

"Enhanced" Autopilot isn't a thing anymore - they all come standard with this now. But it's neither "Autopilot" nor "Enhanced"; it's just traffic aware cruise control with lane keeping. Mislabeling aside, it is extremely useful and works amazingly well. Far from perfect, but amazing nonetheless and far beyond the abilities of any other vehicle that I know of. I use it daily on my commute both on the highway and on surface streets and it's fantastic.

You're likely thinking of "FSD Beta" which isn't a thing either. There's nothing about it that could be considered either "Full", "Self", "Driving" or "Beta". It's just a software unlock that allows the cruise control to make awkward lane changes and a few other things. But it is in very early "Alpha" phase and may or may not ever reach a "Beta" level with this generation of hardware.

The cruise control works fine. Yeah, it's afraid of ghosts on occasion, which can be unsettling for a passenger but is not a significant issue for the driver - you just have to nudge the Gauss pedal every once in a while. It's like walking a distracted dog.

"Enhanced" Autopilot isn't a thing anymore - they all come standard with this now. But it's neither "Autopilot" nor "Enhanced"; it's just traffic aware cruise control with lane keeping. Mislabeling aside, it is extremely useful and works amazingly well. Far from perfect, but amazing nonetheless and far beyond the abilities of any other vehicle that I know of. I use it daily on my commute both on the highway and on surface streets and it's fantastic.

You're likely thinking of "FSD Beta" which isn't a thing either. There's nothing about it that could be considered either "Full", "Self", "Driving" or "Beta". It's just a software unlock that allows the cruise control to make awkward lane changes and a few other things. But it is in very early "Alpha" phase and may or may not ever reach a "Beta" level with this generation of hardware.

Enhanced Autopilot is most definitely a "thing". I can purchase it for $6K in the Tesla app.
IMG_1233DB6B8618-1.jpeg

Enhanced Autopilot is most definitely a "thing". I can purchase it for $6K in the Tesla app.

Oops, I was thinking of the early Model 3's which had the basic lane-keeping feature as a purchasable software unlock. I forgot that they sometimes offer a $6K "enhanced AP" package to add some navigation capability to the standard AP.

Last edited:
Let me offer another perspective here, as the OP is in TX.
I've made 5 road trips of ~4Kmiles, 2 of them to TX to visit our son.
Personally I use TACC (traffic aware cruise control), and not AS (auto steer) as for me the pressure it expects on the wheel is awkward. [It has been a while since I last tried AS, so maybe it has improved]
There are non-divided highways in TX with multiple lanes in each direction with speed limits of 75 mph, sometimes with at grade crossings.
I've had it freak out sometimes with things like a Semi coming in the other direction, especially near a curve, or unnecessarily slowing down for a vehicle ahead that is exiting or crossing, as there was plenty of space to maintain my current speed.
I've also seen a Toll road with a Frontage road, apparently with the same name(?), that had the speed limit posted for the Frontage road in between the 2 causing TACC to switch to the slower speed that wasn't for the toll road.
I've noticed improvements in the same area between trips, each with a different SW version, so things are getting better.
I know some folks freak out over these problems, and sometime my wife has had enough with too many events in a short time.
I've never had the "joy" of a long, heavy traffic commute to work, but love TACC on long road trips, and look forward to it getting better.

1. All these recommendations of getting a LR are silly because you can't currently get one and they have been unavailable for a while now: there were some in early January but those seem to have gone away.
  2. EAP looks to be a permanent addition to the lineup (subject to change of course) - not an end-of-quarter cash grab.
  3. I have EAP and though my commute is much shorter than yours (OP), I use it every day. While I don't much care for the NoAP functionality, the lane change and dumb summon (for backing into and pulling out of my garage) get used regularly and every day. And "smart" Summon is a fun party trick. If I had your commute, it would be a no-brainer for me. However, don't add it until after you purchase so as to not risk pushing your car out of the rebate range. ALSO, you can test it out with a monthly subscription first: use it for a month and decide yourself.

Reactions: Andy7
  1. All these recommendations of getting a LR are silly because you can't currently get one and they have been unavailable for a while now: there were some in early January but those seem to have gone away.
  2. EAP looks to be a permanent addition to the lineup (subject to change of course) - not an end-of-quarter cash grab.
  3. I have EAP and though my commute is much shorter than yours (OP), I use it every day. While I don't much care for the NoAP functionality, the lane change and dumb summon (for backing into and pulling out of my garage) get used regularly and every day. And "smart" Summon is a fun party trick. If I had your commute, it would be a no-brainer for me. However, don't add it until after you purchase so as to not risk pushing your car out of the rebate range. ALSO, you can test it out with a monthly subscription first: use it for a month and decide yourself.

I didn't know they moved dumb summon to EAP? Crazy