Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1700863069699.png

1700863107456.png

Tell me again which one is the econobox?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I had a 2021 Model 3 Performance for two years. It was totalled. See my post history for photos.

I’ve since shopped around and driven everything from the BYD Atto 3, Polestar 2, Porsche Taycan, i4 M50, and in an hour from now will be checking out the new highland in person.

The BMW, Polestar, and Taycan all beat the *sugar* out of my old car when it comes to interior trim quality, and the BMW and Taycan do just fine for all the amount of spirited driving you can do on public roads.

Reactions: MarkoP and clerks
View attachment 993565

View attachment 993566

Tell me again which one is the econobox?
I assume you are arguing in favor of the Tesla but since I've owned both I can assure you the Tesla is the econobox here. And if you are going to try to build an argument that the interior of the Tesla is superior to the BMW, you aren't going to convince me. It's not even close. Its fine if you were to say you don't like the design of the BMW - to each their own. But the build quality, materials and fit and finish are objectively better than the M3P. As well they should be given the car costs more money.

I had a 2021 Model 3 Performance for two years. It was totalled. See my post history for photos.

I’ve since shopped around and driven everything from the BYD Atto 3, Polestar 2, Porsche Taycan, i4 M50, and in an hour from now will be checking out the new highland in person.

The BMW, Polestar, and Taycan all beat the *sugar* out of my old car when it comes to interior trim quality, and the BMW and Taycan do just fine for all the amount of spirited driving you can do on public roads.
Be prepared for Knightshade to tell you what an idiot you are for saying this. He will beat you at the stoplight to the starbucks by .1 second. Which means his you know what is much bigger than yours.

• Funny
Reactions: MrSlowEv
Econobox is defined as a small economical car- the BMW is somehow smaller on the inside despite being larger on the outside-- a reverse Tardis if you will.

I grant you, as I already mentioned previously, it's far less ECONOMICAL since it costs 20-30k more and also costs more to fuel, being less efficient and having less range (that's aside from having less performance and handling too)

Though I remain unclear how "SPEND MORE GET LESS" is a bragging point for one particular user.

Nothing in the term econobox says anything about how many unneeded additional physical controls the interior has though so the pic isn't super useful, especially as they're not taken from the same distance, and thus don't properly convey the smaller interior space of the BMW...though I guess it does a solid job conveying the much smaller display screen on the BMW, as well as the pointless giant shift console that's yet another layover from not really being a purpose-built EV and having a transmission tunnel in a car with no use for a conventional transmission.....and they could sure use some economy on the ridiculous # of buttons on the BMW steering wheel :)

Econobox is defined as a small economical car- the BMW is somehow smaller on the inside despite being larger on the outside-- a reverse Tardis if you will.

I grant you, as I already mentioned previously, it's far less ECONOMICAL since it costs 20-30k more and also costs more to fuel, being less efficient and having less range.

Though I remain unclear how "SPEND MORE GET LESS" is a bragging point for one particular user.

Nothing in the term econobox says anything about how many unneeded additional physical controls the interior has though so the pic isn't super useful, especially as they're not taken from the same distance, and thus don't properly convey the smaller interior space of the BMW...though I guess it does a solid job conveying the much smaller display screen on the BMW, as well as the pointless giant shift console that's yet another layover from not really being a purpose-built EV and having a transmission tunnel in a car with no use for a conventional transmission.
Your lack of knowledge on topics you assert to be an expert on continues to amaze me. Everyone here knows what I mean by "econobox" other than you apparently. And BMW removed the shifter already. If you had driven one or researched one, you'd know this. But you haven't so you know, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I assume you are arguing in favor of the Tesla but since I've owned both I can assure you the Tesla is the econobox here. And if you are going to try to build an argument that the interior of the Tesla is superior to the BMW, you aren't going to convince me. It's not even close. Its fine if you were to say you don't like the design of the BMW - to each their own. But the build quality, materials and fit and finish are objectively better than the M3P. As well they should be given the car costs more money.
I'm arguing in favor of the BMW lol

I like the model 3, but fast econobox is a pretty apt descriptor. Interior is roughly on par with a Corolla

1700863973466.png

Reactions: clerks
Who is bragging? If you bothered to read my posts, I was very complementary of my time with the M3P. I enjoyed the car quite a bit despite its many shortcomings. I will probably look to get another one someday. I came here to share my experience having owned both the M3P and the i4 m50. I explained many times the pros and cons to both cars. And before you showed up, we were having a respectful discussion over the merits of each with many here on TMC properly acknowledging that BMW made a worthy alternative to the M3P. So far you are the ONLY person here who can't acknowledge that the BMW is a compelling package offering different qualities than the M3P some better; some worse. Then you trashed me for spending "less for more" as though I'm some sort of idiot for choosing the BMW over the Tesla.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Since Knightshade couldn't bother to use google, here is what the interior looks like without the shifter. Which would you rather drive 200 miles in?

View attachment 993576

The Tesla since I'd have a vastly better ADAS system, be more comfortable in the seat with more interior head and leg room, more cargo space, better turning radius and handling, and less likely to need to stop to charge on the way... plus slightly better performance of course... (though doubtless you picked 200 because using the BMW gets worse the further you drive due to inferior range, efficiency, and charging options)

Plus I'd have $20,000-$30,000 extra to spend at the end of my trip :)

Your lack of knowledge on topics you assert to be an expert on continues to amaze me. Everyone here knows what I mean by "econobox"

I mean, if you're making up definitions beyond the dictionary, and assuming everyone magically agrees with what you dreamt up, seems that's on you.

You're certainly not economical in your inability to combine replies though!

Last edited:
Since Knightshade couldn't bother to use google, here is what the interior looks like without the shifter. Which would you rather drive 200 miles in?

View attachment 993576

Actually, I'm really partial to the M3P seats. Best seats i've ever had in terms of comfort and better for me than the i4 (which i've sat in). However, I really really miss the ventilated / cooled seats from my other cars so I'm looking forward to the Highland version.

I don't like the iDrive.... I rented a whole week in a new X5 with it and hated it but I used Carplay most of the time so it was okay for me. The X5 had really awesome fit and finish as I'm sure your car is the same. BMW makes really high quality vehicles. My buddy has an i4 and really likes it. I have nothing against it (except the ugly face) and think its a worthy competitor to the Model 3 (kinda not a competitor based on price though).

I hope you enjoy and let us know if you get access to the Superchargers when you have the adapters available.

Actually, I'm really partial to the M3P seats. Best seats i've ever had in terms of comfort and better for me than the i4 (which i've sat in). However, I really really miss the ventilated / cooled seats from my other cars so I'm looking forward to the Highland version.

I don't like the iDrive.... I rented a whole week in a new X5 with it and hated it but I used Carplay most of the time so it was okay for me. The X5 had really awesome fit and finish as I'm sure your car is the same. BMW makes really high quality vehicles. My buddy has an i4 and really likes it. I have nothing against it (except the ugly face) and think its a worthy competitor to the Model 3 (kinda not a competitor based on price though).

I hope you enjoy and let us know if you get access to the Superchargers when you have the adapters available.
I find the idrive to be decent. Much better than Audi's MMI for example. I actually haven't bothered with CarPlay since I've had the car. Supercharger access will be nice although I don't supercharge very often. I do wish I had those heated and cooled seats, that is a nice feature.

Sales reps at the launch today are saying over 700hp for the new Performance. Of course nothing official.

FWIW sales reps typically know less than we do.

When I test drove a 3 back in 2018 I was assured there were no rear heated seats... I'm the one who had to explain to him there were (he could open the seat up and check) they just hadn't updated the SW to be able to turn them on yet.

This isn't unique to Tesla, had similar experiences with sales reps at Lexus and elsewhere.

Who is bragging? If you bothered to read my posts, I was very complementary of my time with the M3P. I enjoyed the car quite a bit despite its many shortcomings. I will probably look to get another one someday. I came here to share my experience having owned both the M3P and the i4 m50. I explained many times the pros and cons to both cars. And before you showed up, we were having a respectful discussion over the merits of each with many here on TMC properly acknowledging that BMW made a worthy alternative to the M3P. So far you are the ONLY person here who can't acknowledge that the BMW is a compelling package offering different qualities than the M3P some better; some worse. Then you trashed me for spending "less for more" as though I'm some sort of idiot for choosing the BMW over the Tesla.
Calling a Model 3 an econobox is just plain wrong, and is obviously intended to insult rather than engender polite discussion.

I haven't been in an i4 M50, but I've driven an i4xDrive40, and I've owned a total of 5 BMWs and a couple of Mercedes in the past. I've never owned an econobox, but I've ridden in, and driven, a number of them over the years. The Tesla is not an econobox, and in general deserves to be lumped in with the BMW, Mercedes, and Audis. I would say that a Model 3 is a generation or two behind the Germans when it comes to quietness and ride quality, but in almost every other respect it's right there with them, and better in some respects. From early reviews, it sounds like maybe the Highland version has fixed the noise and ride issues.

As for interior fit and finish, I really don't see a difference between the Teslas and the Germans. Individual cars may have individual problems, but overall Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi put together quality interiors. If your argument is that a Tesla is less luxurious because it's eliminated most of the buttons, knobs, and controls, or has synthetic leather rather than real leather, I'd call that a specious argument. I'd say that Teslas have the best user interface in the automobile business. Instead of having to search around for the correct button somewhere in the vehicle, a couple of taps on the screen and I'm there, or even easier, just use voice commands. As for leather, many cars are starting to include, or have options for, a non-leather interior similar to Tesla; it's considered more environmentally friendly, maintenance is simpler, and in general holds up better over time.

If quietness and ride quality are the primary qualities you're looking for in a car, the Model 3 currently available in America is not as good as the competition. If you like having bunches of buttons and knobs in your vehicle, a Tesla is not for you. If you want a cocooned feeling of having a car wrapped tightly around you, a Tesla is a poor choice. If the smell of leather in a car is important to you, don't get a Tesla.

All of that said, the two Tesla Model 3s that I've owned have been much quieter than an "econobox", I find the ride to be a worthwhile tradeoff for the car's handling and responsiveness, and I like the clean, simple Scandinavian style interior. I don't like dozens of buttons and switches scattered all over the car; finding less frequently used controls is a pain if you switch cars around like I do. I also like the more open feel of a Tesla compared to most cars today which feel confined by comparison. And while I like the smell of leather, I also like the easy maintenance, comfort, and durability of the Tesla interior materials; call it a wash.

Calling a Model 3 an econobox is just plain wrong, and is obviously intended to insult rather than engender polite discussion.

I haven't been in an i4 M50, but I've driven an i4xDrive40, and I've owned a total of 5 BMWs and a couple of Mercedes in the past. I've never owned an econobox, but I've ridden in, and driven, a number of them over the years. The Tesla is not an econobox, and in general deserves to be lumped in with the BMW, Mercedes, and Audis. I would say that a Model 3 is a generation or two behind the Germans when it comes to quietness and ride quality, but in almost every other respect it's right there with them, and better in some respects. From early reviews, it sounds like maybe the Highland version has fixed the noise and ride issues.

As for interior fit and finish, I really don't see a difference between the Teslas and the Germans. Individual cars may have individual problems, but overall Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi put together quality interiors. If your argument is that a Tesla is less luxurious because it's eliminated most of the buttons, knobs, and controls, or has synthetic leather rather than real leather, I'd call that a specious argument. I'd say that Teslas have the best user interface in the automobile business. Instead of having to search around for the correct button somewhere in the vehicle, a couple of taps on the screen and I'm there, or even easier, just use voice commands. As for leather, many cars are starting to include, or have options for, a non-leather interior similar to Tesla; it's considered more environmentally friendly, maintenance is simpler, and in general holds up better over time.

If quietness and ride quality are the primary qualities you're looking for in a car, the Model 3 currently available in America is not as good as the competition. If you like having bunches of buttons and knobs in your vehicle, a Tesla is not for you. If you want a cocooned feeling of having a car wrapped tightly around you, a Tesla is a poor choice. If the smell of leather in a car is important to you, don't get a Tesla.

All of that said, the two Tesla Model 3s that I've owned have been much quieter than an "econobox", I find the ride to be a worthwhile tradeoff for the car's handling and responsiveness, and I like the clean, simple Scandinavian style interior. I don't like dozens of buttons and switches scattered all over the car; finding less frequently used controls is a pain if you switch cars around like I do. I also like the more open feel of a Tesla compared to most cars today which feel confined by comparison. And while I like the smell of leather, I also like the easy maintenance, comfort, and durability of the Tesla interior materials; call it a wash.
Some of it is preference of course but if you think the Model 3 belongs with the Germans in terms of luxury, materials, interior design and fit and finish then I’m sorry but I strongly disagree. So let’s just agree to disagree on that.

Reactions: blrt