Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because he/she's been doing this here...

YzCyoBh.gif

I have over 100 passes over the last 2 years at all of the SOCs above 70%. Here are almost 50 passes all in the 11.3s. It wouldn’t even be close.

View attachment 993777
So let me get this straight, you are showing me time slips on a modified M3P and telling me this is your evidence. 18" light wheels, removing seats, frunk, light driver etc? I mean I"m sure if I started taking *sugar* out of my i4, it'd be faster too. How about having some credibility before posting this stuff:

Here's a quote I found from you:

"If you switch to 18” 19-22 lb wheels and 22-24 lb 235/45/18 tires you can get down into the low 11.3s consistently. Even the upper 11.2s in some cases.

If you take out the seats, frunk, and trunk you can get down into the upper 11.1s.

If you go with smaller outer diameter tires it will hurt your top end acceleration and barely help your 0-60 mph(~.01 seconds). It isn’t worth it unless you are just going for max 0-60 mph.

Tire compound is almost irrelevant for the Model 3 Performance especially on prepped surfaces. It doesn’t produce enough low end power to overwhelm the tires in a straight line.

Here is my progression from 100% stock to fully gutted on 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires.

1. 11.55 @ 116.0 mph 100% Stock on 20” UberHeavies

2. 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 100% Stock but with some Preconditioning.

3. 11.31 @ 119.34 mph with 18” 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires. Fully preconditioned with 100% SOC.

4. 11.24 @ 119.42 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed, on 18” wheels with 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires, and fully preconditioned 100% SOC.

5. 11.17 @ 120.0 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed on 18” wheels with fully preconditioned 100% SOC and minimal battery degradation.

C&D Tested the i4 M50 on 20 inch wheels at 11.7. So stock for stock, .15 seconds difference. WOW. Tell me that doesn't come down to driver differences, conditions etc. I prefer my car to have seats in it. Just me of course. And we have no idea what SOC C&D used on the BMW so it's certainly possible that it's faster as well at 100% with full preconditioning. The BMW also traps at 118 which tells you that it will pull away from the Tesla at speed. These cars are virtually equivalent in a straight line.

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Calling a Model 3 an econobox is false, objectively so, and doing so to Tesla owners and enthusiasts is obviously intended to offend, despite your protestations to the contrary. Calling a Tesla interior spartan is the same as calling a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi interior cluttered. It is effectively true, but has a negative connotation, as does shortcoming. It would be the same as saying that another car's interior is jumbled and excessive. I think you could express your thoughts without using words that seem intended to attack.
It isn't false. This isn't difficult. The Model 3 is a purpose built economy car. Tesla's singular aim is to provide cheap EVs to the masses at the lowest price possible. You shouldn't have sore feelings over this. One of my personal gripes about the Performance model is the lack of upgrades to the interior and exterior to justify the significant price jump over the standard model. This is a common complaint. And if you read the responses to my complaints, more often than not people remind me that Tesla is trying to drive prices down by keeping things uniform, efficient and yes, cheap. Adding new features to just the P model isn't in Tesla's DNA. So the M3P will continue to be an "econobox" with a fast motor. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. It's a sweet car. Lots of car companies have done the same thing with success. The STI. The EVO before it was discontinued. Cheap economy cars with big engines. It is what it is. No reason to be offended and it's not an attack. It's just the truth.

It isn't false. This isn't difficult. The Model 3 is a purpose built economy car. Tesla's singular aim is to provide cheap EVs to the masses at the lowest price possible. You shouldn't have sore feelings over this. One of my personal gripes about the Performance model is the lack of upgrades to the interior and exterior to justify the significant price jump over the standard model. This is a common complaint. And if you read the responses to my complaints, more often than not people remind me that Tesla is trying to drive prices down by keeping things uniform, efficient and yes, cheap. Adding new features to just the P model isn't in Tesla's DNA. So the M3P will continue to be an "econobox" with a fast motor. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. It's a sweet car. Lots of car companies have done the same thing with success. The STI. The EVO before it was discontinued. Cheap economy cars with big engines. It is what it is. No reason to be offended and it's not an attack. It's just the truth.

Can we all agree that both cars have their pros and cons? Model 3 is cheaper, lighter, and quicker below 90.

The i4 has a more traditional bmw interior, and quicker above 90. Some people prefer this and that’s ok.

I think we can all agree to this. At this point, you’re the only one not moving on. You’re on a Tesla forum with Tesla owners that have no problem with the model 3 interior. After all people pay $100k for a Shelby GT500 which has a cheap interior compared to a Porsche. People have different priorities for their cars. I’m sure if you go to bimmerpost and complain about the model 3 interior, you’ll find more like-minded people.

So let me get this straight, you are showing me time slips on a modified M3P and telling me this is your evidence. 18" light wheels, removing seats, frunk, light driver etc? I mean I"m sure if I started taking *sugar* out of my i4, it'd be faster too. How about having some credibility before posting this stuff:

Here's a quote I found from you:

"If you switch to 18” 19-22 lb wheels and 22-24 lb 235/45/18 tires you can get down into the low 11.3s consistently. Even the upper 11.2s in some cases.

If you take out the seats, frunk, and trunk you can get down into the upper 11.1s.

If you go with smaller outer diameter tires it will hurt your top end acceleration and barely help your 0-60 mph(~.01 seconds). It isn’t worth it unless you are just going for max 0-60 mph.

Tire compound is almost irrelevant for the Model 3 Performance especially on prepped surfaces. It doesn’t produce enough low end power to overwhelm the tires in a straight line.

Here is my progression from 100% stock to fully gutted on 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires.

1. 11.55 @ 116.0 mph 100% Stock on 20” UberHeavies

2. 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 100% Stock but with some Preconditioning.

3. 11.31 @ 119.34 mph with 18” 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires. Fully preconditioned with 100% SOC.

4. 11.24 @ 119.42 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed, on 18” wheels with 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires, and fully preconditioned 100% SOC.

5. 11.17 @ 120.0 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed on 18” wheels with fully preconditioned 100% SOC and minimal battery degradation.

C&D Tested the i4 M50 on 20 inch wheels at 11.7. So stock for stock, .15 seconds difference. WOW. Tell me that doesn't come down to driver differences, conditions etc. I prefer my car to have seats in it. Just me of course. And we have no idea what SOC C&D used on the BMW so it's certainly possible that it's faster as well at 100% with full preconditioning. The BMW also traps at 118 which tells you that it will pull away from the Tesla at speed. These cars are virtually equivalent in a straight line.
I will beat the I4 M50 in any configuration you want from a dig. All of the times I posted are quicker than even a modified I4 M50 would be.

I would beat it 100% stock in Track Mode with 90% battery(11.55).

Why are you even here? You say nothing but negative and incorrect statements about the Model 3.

We get it. You don’t like it and are willing to spend much more to get your precious BMW. Please go do that.

Reactions: ODWms and nate704
Can we all agree that both cars have their pros and cons? Model 3 is cheaper, lighter, and quicker below 90.

The i4 has a more traditional bmw interior, and quicker above 90. Some people prefer this and that’s ok.

I think we can all agree to this. At this point, you’re the only one not moving on. You’re on a Tesla forum with Tesla owners that have no problem with the model 3 interior. After all people pay $100k for a Shelby GT500 which has a cheap interior compared to a Porsche. People have different priorities for their cars. I’m sure if you go to bimmerpost and complain about the model 3 interior, you’ll find more like-minded people.
So well said. Nobody told him he couldn’t express his opinion about the BMW vs. the Tesla. We heard his opinion, we expressed ours and now we would like to actually get back on topic for this particular thread and he just won’t let it go.

Im a glutton for punishment so I'll go ahead and say it...
I think the M3 is an economy car. I've always said it's a Dodge Dart with tech and some cool party tricks. Its not any different than when the STi first came out. A utilitarian econobox with high performance, able to hit well above its weight.
While I'm happy with the car, the honeymoon was over a while ago, and I'm always looking at other cars now, including the new Hiland performance/ludicrous whatever they are calling it.
I've also driven the I4 and it's a pile of crap. That coming from someone who likes BMWs and currently owns one and is about to replace it with another (wife's car). It's sub par quality compared to what I'm used to seeing with the brand.

Im a glutton for punishment so I'll go ahead and say it...
I think the M3 is an economy car. I've always said it's a Dodge Dart with tech and some cool party tricks. Its not any different than when the STi first came out. A utilitarian econobox with high performance, able to hit well above its weight.
While I'm happy with the car, the honeymoon was over a while ago, and I'm always looking at other cars now, including the new Hiland performance/ludicrous whatever they are calling it.
I've also driven the I4 and it's a pile of crap. That coming from someone who likes BMWs and currently owns one and is about to replace it with another (wife's car). It's sub par quality compared to what I'm used to seeing with the brand.
I had the Dodge Dart and I can definitely say that it is NOTHING like M3 in any way possible. the STI was never advertised as luxury. it was supposed to be high performance hot hatch that can do offroad rally.

Can we give the i4 vs m3p debate a rest now? I think everyone has made their points and it’s not going to convince anyone of anything different.

(moderator note)

I havent checked into this thread in a bit, but yes I am putting an end to the "BMW vs Tesla" debate in this thread. If people want to discuss that, they can do so in the review thread that @clerks Posted about the i4 M50 they purchased, which is here:

Please move that discussion to the above thread, as of this post of mine in this one.

I am also temporarily locking this thread, just to ensure that people posting in it see this message. It will be unlocked later so discussion can continue, however I want to ensure this request is seen.

(unlocked)

Last edited:
There is speculation that Tesla will announce the Highland Model 3 for the US and perhaps the next version of the Model 3 Performance at the CyberTruck delivery event this Thursday.

I am going to guess 669 HP and 2.5 0-60 mph(with rollout subtracted) for a Model 3 Performance with Ludicrous Mode. 1/4 mile in 10.5 at 128+ mph. Sub $60k starting MSRP.

Staggered 20” wheels. 235/35/20 up front. 275/30/20 in the back. New suspension but not air.

There is speculation that Tesla will announce the Highland Model 3 for the US and perhaps the next version of the Model 3 Performance at the CyberTruck delivery event this Thursday.

I am going to guess 669 HP and 2.5 0-60 mph(with rollout subtracted) for a Model 3 Performance with Ludicrous Mode. 1/4 mile in 10.5 at 128+ mph. Sub $60k starting MSRP.

Staggered 20” wheels. 235/35/20 up front. 275/30/20 in the back. New suspension but not air.

I'll take some of what you're smoking 😂

I'm guessing almost zero difference. Negligible at best.

I hope the speculation about when the announcement will occur is correct, but I'm pretty doubtful. For the specs, I think you're a little optimistic. Tesla will price it at what the market will bear. With the specs you listed, I'd figure on $65k or even a little more.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Zero difference in performance/improvement? That's one way to lose your business to your competitors. I sure hope Elon is smoking (progression) the same thing as some off us are. :)
Yes and no. At the current price, there's nothing that has quite the same performance as the M3P. i4 M50 is $70k base, and will get more expensive with options like any BMW. Polestar 2 with the performance pack is $63k, which I suppose is closer to the M3P price, but it's still a fair bit slower than the current M3P as it is. And no other real competitors in the sedan space.

At $70k, the model S becomes a valid consideration, and a lot of the deficiencies that the M3P has compared to its competition go away when you bring the S in to the mix.

Yes and no. At the current price, there's nothing that has quite the same performance as the M3P. i4 M50 is $70k base, and will get more expensive with options like any BMW. Polestar 2 with the performance pack is $63k, which I suppose is closer to the M3P price, but it's still a fair bit slower than the current M3P as it is. And no other real competitors in the sedan space.

At $70k, the model S becomes a valid consideration, and a lot of the deficiencies that the M3P has compared to its competition go away when you bring the S in to the mix.
Kia EV6 GT does the 1/4 mile in 11.33 @ 121 mph but weighs about 4,800 lbs.

IMG_5719.jpeg

Hyundai Ioniq 5N does the 1/4 mile in 11.18 @ 123.85 mph. However, it will probably weigh over 5,000 lbs with the bigger battery it has.

IMG_5720.png

Tesla Model 3 Performance can do the 1/4 mile in 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 100% stock and it weighs under 4,100 lbs.

IMG_5721.png

Both of those cars are in a similar price range to the BMW I4 but their leases are much closer to the Tesla Model 3 Performance because of rebates and incentives.

• Informative
Reactions: MrSlowEv
Kia EV6 GT does the 1/4 mile in 11.33 @ 121 mph but weighs about 4,800 lbs.

View attachment 994294

Hyundai Ioniq 5N does the 1/4 mile in 11.18 @ 123.85 mph. However, it will probably weigh over 5,000 lbs with the bigger battery it has.

View attachment 994293

Tesla Model 3 Performance can do the 1/4 mile in 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 100% stock and it weighs under 4,100 lbs.

View attachment 994295

Both of those cars are in a similar price range to the BMW I4 but their leases are much closer to the Tesla Model 3 Performance because of rebates and incentives.
I didn’t include the kia or Hyundai because they’re not sedans. I also just can’t bring myself to spend $50k+ on a Kia/Hyundai, but I know that’s my own bias

I guess maybe the ioniq 6 could count