Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it actually beat it in the 1/4th? I've seen numerous 11.4s as the fastest M3P times but I still haven't seen an I4 M50 do that. I've yet to see sub 3.1s 0-60 on an iM50 and i've also seen that with a stock M3P. Almost every Youtube drag race featuring those 2 have the M3P slightly faster. Just saying.
Well I’ve owned both cars. The BMW is underrated in typical German fashion. The Carwow test has been criticized. Let’s say it doesn’t best it. It’s very close either way and the BMW has a 1000 weight disadvantage. Car and Driver tested the M50 at 3.3 and 11.7. The differences between the two cars are negligible. Of course the Tesla would win on a track but that’s irrelevant to me.

And the bmw matches the Tesla to 60 and beats it to 1/4 mile.
Except it doesn’t:

Tested: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance Hits 60 in 3.1 Seconds

Tested: 2022 BMW i4 M50 Is an EV M3

The BMW is maybe slightly faster between about 90 mph and its top speed of (a rather pathetic but also somewhat academic in the US) 127 mph. In every other acceleration metric the Model 3P is quicker and faster, plus it brakes better and is quicker on a road course.

They definitely do have different priorities though; the BMW’s is to be a modern BMW, not a modern M-car. If that’s what you want, that’s cool, but its extra 1000 lbs is always going to be a disadvantage when it comes to dynamics.

The fact that the BMW is heavier even than the larger SUV Koreans is even crazier…

Last edited:
Except it doesn’t:

Tested: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance Hits 60 in 3.1 Seconds

Tested: 2022 BMW i4 M50 Is an EV M3

The BMW is maybe slightly faster between about 90 mph and its top speed of (a rather pathetic but also somewhat academic in the US) 127 mph. In every other acceleration metric the Model 3P is quicker and faster, plus it brakes better and is quicker on a road course.

They definitely do have different priorities though; the BMW’s is to be a modern BMW, not a modern M-car. If that’s what you want, that’s cool, but its extra 1000 lbs is always going to be a disadvantage when it comes to dynamics.
I’ve read quite a bit on this. I think of properly matched to test with similar SOC, they will be pretty damn close. And to my butt dyno the m50 pulls harder past 60. Either way, they are really closely matched. If the Tesla beats it, it’s a tenth or two at most. I agree the Tesla is more tossable in terms of dynamic s.

It’s an advantage but the reason the bmw weighs more is because it’s a proper car with a proper interior and build quality. If you want those things (I do) it’s going to weigh more. And the bmw matches the Tesla to 60 and beats it to 1/4 mile. So I wouldn’t say it’s an advantage. I’d say it has different priorities.
It’s heavier because it is a “proper” car?? LOL
It’s heavier because bmw still can’t figure out better battery efficiency, and BMS. They are still far from the true SDV which is the proper future.

It’s heavier because it is a “proper” car?? LOL
It’s heavier because bmw still can’t figure out better battery efficiency, and BMS. They are still far from the true SDV which is the proper future.
Right. A proper interior. With proper materials. And proper sound deadening. It’s physically larger. Those things weigh more. I’m not here to get in a pissing match. I liked my m3p. It’s a great car. So is the i4. If you actual take the time to research it, the reasons it weighs more are not as simple as you state. I never said it’s a proper SDV. It’s a great car that stands in its own in 2023. Do I wish it weighed less? Sure. But It will only get better. And so will Tesla. Btw real world efficiency is pretty close to my Tesla. BMW underrates everything while Tesla tends to overstate. They are a lot closer IRL than you might think.

Last edited:
Right. A proper interior. With proper materials. And proper sound deadening. It’s physically larger. Those things weigh more. I’m not here to get in a pissing match. I liked my m3p. It’s a great car. So is the i4. If you actual take the time to research it, the reasons it weighs more are not as simple as you state. I never said it’s a proper SDV. It’s a great car that stands in its own in 2023. Do I wish it weighed less? Sure. But It will only get better. And so will Tesla. Btw real world efficiency is pretty close to my Tesla. BMW underrates everything while Tesla tends to overstate. They are a lot closer IRL than you might think.

Yeah I agree with this. The i4 is a nicer car for sure but its not as fun to drive. As I said earlier...the one who mashes the pedal will most likely win no matter what 😁

I’ve read quite a bit on this. I think of properly matched to test with similar SOC, they will be pretty damn close. And to my butt dyno the m50 pulls harder past 60. Either way, they are really closely matched. If the Tesla beats it, it’s a tenth or two at most. I agree the Tesla is more tossable in terms of dynamic s.
They’re not cross shopped as much, but the S is probably a better comparison for the i4.

Reactions: blrt
I’m addition to a 2.6/2.7 0-100 and sub 11 sec 1/4 mile sprint, I’m hoping they improve the suspension to soak up minor road imperfections better.

Wishful thinking I’m sure. 🙄

If they don’t, I’ll keep my AWD LR/boost with stalks thank you.

On the street below about 80 mph the Tesla is measurably quicker. At normal around-town speeds I found the difference to be stark, though once it’s moving, the BMW is fast indeed. But between the slower throttle response and the weight, the BMW didn’t feel “eager” to me. In the end, after driving both, my overall preference is the Tesla.
YMMV (and obviously did!).

I'm sure you’ll enjoy the BMW.

I’m addition to a 2.6/2.7 0-100 and sub 11 sec 1/4 mile sprint, I’m hoping they improve the suspension to soak up minor road imperfections better.

Wishful thinking I’m sure. 🙄

If they don’t, I’ll keep my AWD LR/boost with stalks thank you.

On the street below about 80 mph the Tesla is measurably quicker. At normal around-town speeds I found the difference to be stark, though once it’s moving, the BMW is fast indeed. But between the slower throttle response and the weight, the BMW didn’t feel “eager” to me. In the end, after driving both, my overall preference is the Tesla.
YMMV (and obviously did!).

I'm sure you’ll enjoy the BMW.
Good observation. I think BMW addressed the throttle response issue a while ago. Not sure when you drove it.

The i4 is minimally larger than a Model 3 on the outside. It's 3.7" longer, .1" wider, and .2" taller. On the inside, the Model 3 is roomier than the i4. The model 3 has a .8" longer wheel base, and more than double the cargo capacity with all the seats in place. For interior passenger space, the Model 3 has 2.1" more front head room, 1.2" more front leg room, 1.1" more rear head room, 1" more rear leg room, and .3" less rear shoulder room.

There might be a couple hundred pounds of extra interior bits and sound deadening, but most of the difference in weight is because the BMW needs larger batteries to achieve the same range as the Tesla. It simply isn't as efficient.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
The i4 is minimally larger than a Model 3 on the outside. It's 3.7" longer, .1" wider, and .2" taller. On the inside, the Model 3 is roomier than the i4. The model 3 has a .8" longer wheel base, and more than double the cargo capacity with all the seats in place. For interior passenger space, the Model 3 has 2.1" more front head room, 1.2" more front leg room, 1.1" more rear head room, 1" more rear leg room, and .3" less rear shoulder room.

There might be a couple hundred pounds of extra interior bits and sound deadening, but most of the difference in weight is because the BMW needs larger batteries to achieve the same range as the Tesla. It simply isn't as efficient.
The battery pack is about 8 percent larger. The BMW is heavier because it’s a more solid car with a significantly higher quality build quality and interior. The doors thunk like a BMW. The road noise is non-existent. This was deliberate by BMW. I liked my Tesla but the Model 3 is an econobox on the inside on its best day. I thought my M3P was a fun little car but its interior is garbage. Its fit and finish is terrible. The paint sucks (my m3p got rock chips on the sides on the ride home from the Tesla store). Tesla chose to make a battery on wheels based on minimalism and a desire to keep things cheap. Weight is low because it’s a cheap economy car with a powerful motor. This really isn’t a criticism just an observation. BMW chose to make a BMW sedan that happens to be an EV. There are pros and cons to both cars. I’ve owned both so I suspect I’m more qualified than most here to comment. If you haven’t driven an i4 m50 then you really don’t have any credibility with me. If you have and you prefer the Tesla, I completely respect that. Different strokes for different folks. On the street, these two cars perform nearly identically. As far as efficiency goes, we are enthusiasts debating 2 high performance sports sedans. I seriously doubt anyone shopping these cars gives a crap about 10 percent better efficiency.

The battery pack is about 8 percent larger. The BMW is heavier because it’s a more solid car with a significantly higher quality build quality and interior..... BMW chose to make a BMW sedan that happens to be an EV.

I feel like we've been over this before?

The BMW is so heavy because it's not a purpose designed EV platform. it's got a freaking transmission tunnel.

They did not "chose to make a BMW sedan that happens to be an EV"

They took a non-EV and shoved a battery and electric motors into it.

Reviews note this as the primary reason it's so porky and the interior space is not the best

Review of the BMW said:
BMW acknowledges a few disadvantages to this approach, including a beefier curb weight than some EVs built on stand-alone electric platforms. And while the i4 manages to package its lithium-ion batteries entirely below the floor, the leftover transmission tunnel from the gasoline version steals some potential interior space

BMW acknowledges it- why don't you?

i have my eyes set on the Ioniq 5N unless Tesla manages to improve the m3p in a meaningful way. But if they do…then RIP Hyundai haha
I have a suspicion that as soon as Tesla announces the new Performance Model 3 it will deflate the enthusiasm of the Hyundai Ioniq 5N. That car is quick for its size but it won't be able to compete with a more power car that is 400+ lbs lighter.

Reactions: blrt
It’s an advantage but the reason the bmw weighs more is because it’s a proper car with a proper interior and build quality. If you want those things (I do) it’s going to weigh more. And the bmw matches the Tesla to 60 and beats it to 1/4 mile. So I wouldn’t say it’s an advantage. I’d say it has different priorities.
If someone sets up the Tesla Model 3 Performance properly then the BMW I4 M50 won't win any dig race. Heating the battery is so critical at higher speeds. Hopefully, with the next Model 3 heating the battery won't be as necessary.

I would be able to beat an I4 M50 from a dig even if my car was at 70% and the BMW was at 100%.