Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if resell values for the old Model 3 Performance cars will creep up once the current inventory is depleted?

That would be ideal. Then I could sell my M3P now and drive my extra car until the highland performance variant is released. Tesla doesn't appear to have many M3P's in inventory now so I expect that inventory to be depleted lickety split....especially since they appear to be slightly discounted.

Best,

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I think my prediction of them keeping the price under $55k is very likely now that we know they did not increase the prices which makes the price difference between the LR and the P, $9k. I just can't imagine them charging more than that for a performance upgrade that historically only costed $5k.

I think my prediction of them keeping the price under $55k is very likely now that we know they did not increase the prices which makes the price difference between the LR and the P, $9k. I just can't imagine them charging more than that for a performance upgrade that historically only costed $5k.

True, but now that the M3P is the only one eligible for the tax credit and Tesla/Elon has stated that they want to go more radical with the highland M3P over the SR+/LR, I could definitely see them raising the price considerably. The X/S/Cybertruck PLAID/BEAST option is roughly 20K over the next lowest trim.

I doubt it will be a 20K option, but who knows. If it runs low 10s and has a bunch of other upgrades, maybe it would be worth it?

True, but now that the M3P is the only one eligible for the tax credit and Tesla/Elon has stated that they want to go more radical with the highland M3P over the SR+/LR, I could definitely see them raising the price considerably. The X/S/Cybertruck PLAID/BEAST option is roughly 20K over the next lowest trim.

I doubt it will be a 20K option, but who knows. If it runs low 10s and has a bunch of other upgrades, maybe it would be worth it?

I guess we'll find out eventually. If it's significantly more expensive to upgrade to a performance/ludicrous/whatever, I would expect many of the speed junkies to just make the leap to a model S plaid. Who knows....maybe I'll get over my aversion to a larger car and do that myself. :)

Best,

The only thing Musk has ever said about an upgraded Model 3 Performance is that they won’t ever make a Model 3 Plaid because it would “complicate” the car.
You are correct, I could of sworn I read that but it was according to "reports" that it will be pretty "special"... and we all know how accurate "reports" are haha. As far as the name goes, it doesn't need to be called plaid :)

I guess we'll find out eventually. If it's significantly more expensive to upgrade to a performance/ludicrous/whatever, I would expect many of the speed junkies to just make the leap to a model S plaid. Who knows....maybe I'll get over my aversion to a larger car and do that myself. :)

Best,

I would love to have a plaid but sadly not wealthy enough to afford a 86K car :(

65K.... possibly

You are correct, I could have sworn I read that but it was according to "reports" that it will be pretty "special"... and we all know how accurate "reports" are haha. As far as the name goes, it doesn't need to be called plaid :)
I think Musk was referring to a tri motor layout. That is what wouldn’t be practical in the Model 3 and it isn’t necessary in that car.

I do believe the next Performance Model 3 will truly be special. It won’t be a Model S Plaid competitor but it may be a C8 Corvette E-Ray competitor for half the price.

Reactions: CCopperpot
You are correct, I could of sworn I read that but it was according to "reports" that it will be pretty "special"... and we all know how accurate "reports" are haha. As far as the name goes, it doesn't need to be called plaid :)

IIRC the "special" thing was some other guy at Tesla, overseas, and they didn't include any actual direct/full quotes.

I think Musk was referring to a tri motor layout. That is what wouldn’t be practical in the Model 3 and it isn’t necessary in that car.

I do believe the next Performance Model 3 will truly be special. It won’t be a Model S Plaid competitor but it may be a C8 Corvette E-Ray competitor for half the price.
We’ll see. I am discouraged by the fact that the battery and motors for the non P models are exactly the same as before.

Throwing a permanent magnet up front would probably be the cheapest way to improve the performance (effectively giving it similar powertrain to the MSLR). But I would think they’d want to do that on the M3LR too to get that range and efficiency up if that was the plan. Maybe carbon sleeved rear motor with an unchanged front motor would also do the trick, but I’m skeptical that would make much of a difference below 150mph or so.

Reactions: CCopperpot
I'm hoping they just offer 2 performance trims. The standard Performance at the same price and a Ludicrous upgrade that gives more goodies. We can only hope

I mentioned earlier but I think/hoping this is exactly what will happen. A standard trim with improved performance and 19" wheels which should easily cost under $55k. Then a optional package, or 2nd trim, that gives you 20" wheels, bucket seats, and some additional goodies. This way people will still get the federal credit but have another option if they want to go all out. Time will tell.

I just can't imagine them charging more than that for a performance upgrade that historically only costed $5k.
Performance was $10K more than AWD back when it came out, and for the first few years, which would be more like $13K today after inflation.

It won’t be a Model S Plaid competitor but it may be a C8 Corvette E-Ray competitor for half the price.
This is a pretty tortured example unless we are only talking about 0-60 as the metric, especially since the Plaid already costs less than the E-Ray, so who cross-shops like that?

Attachments

• 1704666691137.png
    1704666691137.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1704666804709.png
    1704666804709.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 15