Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New front end - bumper mod
New rear end - same
New seats - mod
New rims - easy mod
New spoiler - easy mod
Ludicrous badge (not Plaid) - cheap mod
EU QR code sticker - 🤷🏽‍♂️
Black tape everywhere - good clickbait.
In the end it’s a beautiful job. If tesla substantiates, I’ll kindly bow down.
I doubt it.

The issue is that the HP ratings are just simply not true. Tesla just makes up numbers that they tell the governments for those documents.

They told the EPA that the Model 3 Performance only has 321 KW of power which is 435 HP. That is just laughable for a ~4,050 lb car doing 11.4 second 1/4 mile times with only a single fixed gear ratio.

They list only 312 KW for the Model Y Performance. There is no way the Model Y Performance makes less power than the Model 3 Performance. That just simply can’t be true.
In Europe, my 2020 M3P is listed at 377kw (505hp) and 2023 MYP is rated at 393kw (527hp).

The difference in EPA reporting, especially over time, could simply be changes in the standards used to measure power. e.g., if peak is defined as peak sustainable over 5 minutes (just making that up).

I tried to read the US Gov (DOE) guideline on measuring electric power and it just seems lots of contributing bodies seem to argue about the methodology and the complexity of standardizing on one. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2022-10-19/pdf/2022-21891.pdf

Why? Have you ever modded a car?
It’s fun and it’s a challenge.

I’m going with click bait until tesla announces. A highly successful click bait. Black tape means nothing. If you’re trying to pass it off, good job.

I’m not saying for an unreleased. I’m saying it’s possibly an LR designed to pass off as an incoming P. No one can substantiate other than Tesla when they are ready to.

Time will tell. 🤷🏽‍♂️ you guys can keep conjecturing and I’ll keep watching :)
You can't be serious, are you? The wheels, tires, and badge have all appeared in official Tesla documentation already. This is the new Performance Model 3. We don't know the official name for it yet but we do know it will look exactly like the leaked pictures.

The chart doesn't claim that peak power is reached at 28°C. Maximum Power overall needs 100% and 50°C+.

It merely indicates that expected BMS max power and actual battery max power is matched the last time at 28°C cell temp. As you point out it is around 1300A and somewhere around 55mph / 88kph at high SOC and dropping afterwards. With lower SOC the peak power is also at lower speeds and high speed power is highly altered by cell temp (and SOC).

From the same metadata of five cars (M3P 2021/2022 82kWh) over several years I could also produce a speed vs. power vs. soc vs. temp chart.
In case you haven't seen that one:
View attachment 1024413
View attachment 1024414

The 5D1 Plaid would mostly have pro arguments with maintaining high speed power being the most important one. The 5D1 is a modified 3D1 motor, which is the one from the 2018 M3P with good ol' wire windings. So not a modern motor and maybe not the most efficient choice.

The 4D1 is the latest generation of Tesla motors and it is a completely new design with hairpin stator. I seems to hold up power with speed similar to the older 3D6 motor, while not being as efficient, which is strange. In WLTP testing it performed up to 4% worse meaning it had up to 4% higher consumption / less range than the older 3D6 motor.

The main arguments pro 4D1 are not on the customer side, but for Tesla. Less to no rare earth in the motor and cheap to produce, were the 5D1 is an expensive premium motor in comparison with its carbon sleeved rotor.

In the past Tesla was always looking to have simple production with unified parts. This would point towards the 4D1 which is already used in every version of the Model Y. By just adjusting the inverter limits you get a performance motor that will look like a solid step up from the old motor/car and hopefully not only on paper.

Hard to tell now as the 4D1 is currently only paired with the old battery packs and therefore can't show its true limits.

At least here in Germany on unrestricted Autobahn I am not able to heat up the motors in any meaningful way. What I can do is stress the brakes to their limits easily and the main issue with battery overheating on the Nordschleife is the Regen Setting in Track Mode. Stronger brakes would mean you can reduce regen and then see the battery perform longer. Though, there are German Youtube Channels who do M3P track driving with completely stock cars and they manage to do one round on the Nordschleife without reaching the battery limit or only just before finishing the lap. So even the old cars are not that bad IMO.
I was told by someone at tesla that the 4D1 had a lot more in it and was being software limited to match the old motors performance. He also said that there was a good chance when the new model 3 came out all the 4D1 cars would get a bump. This is in the USA.

You can't be serious, are you? The wheels, tires, and badge have all appeared in official Tesla documentation already. This is the new Performance Model 3. We don't know the official name for it yet but we do know it will look exactly like the leaked pictures.
Official? Any documents? Maybe I just haven’t seen those.

If it is …Cool. Nothing would make me happier as I’d be ordering one.

Official? Any documents? Maybe I just haven’t seen those.

If it is …Cool. Nothing would make me happier as I’d be ordering one.
They accidently put all of the information I mentioned in the Highland Model 3 owner's manual and parts catalog when it first came out. They quickly removed it but it has been well documented in past threads.

If you order a Model 3 LR right now the US website says to expect delivery in May of this year. I am having a hard time believing that if I ordered a Model 3 LR today and a Model 3 Ludicrous the day it is announced that I would get the Model 3 Ludicrous before the Model 3 LR. I believe they will announce the Model 3 Ludicrous soon but I don't think deliveries will start for many months.

I know no one in the US wants to hear this but I also think this is going to be announced as a MIC car for Europe and Asia first. I think the US based cars won't get announced till 3-6 months later and won't ship here until closer to the end of the year as a 2025 model. Just a hunch though. Could be totally wrong on this for sure.

Correct. All I was saying is there is the possibility it’s fake. If it’s not, fantastic…looks good 👍🏽
Of course if you get a leak from one person, take it with a pinch of salt but off top of my head we have:

1. European documents listing the car with the 5D1 motor at the rear
2. Tesla parts catalog leak with the badge and wheels plus sports seats (All aligns with images and videos leaked)
3. Video of the car in Spain with no camo to hide it and a large bunch of film crew following it, trying to stop people recording it.
4. Tons of other images and videos of more covered up cars mostly but get glimpses that align with what else is known.

So it’s real and will be here soon. We still don’t know what the power output will be, the battery (Will it be same globally or different as it was before) and quite a few other things.

If you order a Model 3 LR right now the US website says to expect delivery in May of this year. I am having a hard time believing that if I ordered a Model 3 LR today and a Model 3 Ludicrous the day it is announced that I would get the Model 3 Ludicrous before the Model 3 LR. I believe they will announce the Model 3 Ludicrous soon but I don't think deliveries will start for many months.

I know no one in the US wants to hear this but I also think this is going to be announced as a MIC car for Europe and Asia first. I think the US based cars won't get announced till 3-6 months later and won't ship here until closer to the end of the year as a 2025 model. Just a hunch though. Could be totally wrong on this for sure.
I had a test drive of a Highland in UK and they chased me a few times to order, had in stock cars to sell. You could order one and get it within a week or two. It seems they have managed to shift them all though as now if I was to order it’s May - Jun for a Long Range.

Maybe just a few sat on the fence until they could test drive but have since done so. No offers on it yet, APR is 9% on a Model 3 and 1.8% on a Model Y here. So you can see where they are throwing in the discounts without reducing the price directly. Not sure though how long Highland will keep Model 3 demand up once you get past the early adopters.

Both cars have 395 HP. The problem is that many places report ridiculous numbers for the cars. However, that is 395 HP without the Boost Upgrade. Tesla has stated that the Boost upgrade on the older cars added 50 HP or about 450 HP total for older cars with the boost upgrade.

Are we talking wheels or motor?

Because WUGZ canbus data showed 447hp for the non-boost LR AWD, and 497 with acceleration boost... (and 580 on the P)

boo-outrage.gif

Lol