Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to chime in, those new hankooks are more than just range. They offer the same if not better grip than standard off the shelf PS4 summers (not ps4s). It doesnt sacrifice the safety critical wet grip like some eco tires do. truly amazing tires.
I find it difficult to believe that the Ion evos would provide better grip than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires in the dry. The Sport 4s, while not as grippy as the Pilot Sport 4S, are pretty good, and there's typically a significant difference in dry grip when dropping from a Max Performance Summer tire like the Pilot Sport 4 to a Grand Touring All Season tire. Is there some published test out there that compares the two tires? If so, can you provide a link.

Reactions: Gasaraki and D Good
I find it difficult to believe that the Ion evos would provide better grip than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires in the dry. The Sport 4s, while not as grippy as the Pilot Sport 4S, are pretty good, and there's typically a significant difference in dry grip when dropping from a Max Performance Summer tire like the Pilot Sport 4 to a Grand Touring All Season tire. Is there some published test out there that compares the two tires? If so, can you provide a link.

I've had both PS4 and PS4S and wore out both tires around 10k. PS4 tires are really really good and PS4S are only slightly better in dry grip...both have very high limits for street tires. I doubt any all-seasons come close to that level of dry grip. The PS4 All-seasons don't hold a candle to my PS4 or PS4S tires.

Reactions: phantasms
Shoutout to the boys over at @UnpluggedP for taking delivery of two 2024 Model 3 Performance's and getting them under the knife ASAP!

I can almost say with certainty, any wheel setups compatible with Gen.1 M3P will also be compatible with the new one (Gen.2). The hub/brake assembly appears to be the same. Unfortunately, the exposed hub lip is something that we will still have to deal with for Gen.2. However, by now we already offer plenty of solutions to address this.

The front suspension upright is different. My hopes is is this will allow more clearance than Gen.1 so we can have better compatibility with 10.5" and wider wheels for track/performance use. We can only confirm this once UP decides to share this data or whenever our own shop M3P gets delivered here in Portland. 🤞

There's shorter factory springs and longer shock travel for the rear. Hopefully this means the suspension will play nice with aftermarket lowering springs or height adjustable springs (H.A.S), since we will be dealing with adaptive suspension now. Likewise, I'd like to see one of suspension leaders make a P&P coilover kit that will seamlessly interact with the car's adaptive suspension programming.

Overall, very excited for more development and testing on these new cars. For anyone looking to do a square or staggered aftermarket wheel setup, feel free to message or email me directly. We have plenty of options in-stock. We're also going to be offering early Gen.2 M3P owners great deals on compatible parts here on TMC!

Thanks,
Danny - [email protected]
A LOT of cool information in that video.

Reactions: MODEL+
Thanks for the reply, I'm still not sure I understand why NMC is worse than LF and NCA. I have a 2018 Model 3 which I think uses the Nevada-made NCA 18650 or are they 2170? We also have a 2023 Model X which I think uses the 18650 NCA from Panasonic (China). How would the NMC's compare to those? I don't want to go back on charging times, since that is the most important metric for long-distance trips.
Sorry, I'm not as up to date with the Model X but yes, all pre 2021 Model 3s use batteries from Panasonic made in the USA. I don't think Model 3s ever used 18650 cells.

I wouldn't worry about the charging speed of the LG LR battery. It's slower but not like it's 50% slower. Your charging at the supercharger might be longer by like 5 mins for a comparable 80% charge?

Reactions: EV-lutioin

There is indeed an Ion Evo summer tire. Though, I'm not sure if you can buy it in the US yet.
The only place I see the Ion Evo summer tire is on Hankook's website. It isn't showing up on Tirerack, Discount Tire, or Les Schwab's websites. I haven't seen any independent tests of it, so I'm wondering where the conclusion comes from that it, "matches or beats the PS4 and PS4S summer tires". If someone has tested those tires and published the results, I'd like to see it.

I've been following this tire, as it super efficient and has tons of grip.
That test on Tire Reviews doesn't compare the Hankook Ion Evo to either the Michelin PS4 or PS4s.

There are no direct comparisons. They do compare to tires that have been compared to them. For example the PS5. They are very new and you need to amalgamate the data to infer if it has the desired traits you want. IMO it's probably the best all around max summer tire. Mostly in noise, wet traction and rolling resistance.

There are no direct comparisons. They do compare to tires that have been compared to them. For example the PS5. They are very new and you need to amalgamate the data to infer if it has the desired traits you want. IMO it's probably the best all around max summer tire. Mostly in noise, wet traction and rolling resistance.
It will be interesting to see, but I think the Ion Evo will probably end up in the ultra high performance summer tires, one notch down from the max performance summer tires. It appears to be more of a Pilot Sport 5 competitor than a Pilot Sport 4s competitor.

Reactions: Sweed269
The only place I see the Ion Evo summer tire is on Hankook's website. It isn't showing up on Tirerack, Discount Tire, or Les Schwab's websites. I haven't seen any independent tests of it, so I'm wondering where the conclusion comes from that it, "matches or beats the PS4 and PS4S summer tires". If someone has tested those tires and published the results, I'd like to see it.

I was simply responding to show that it does indeed exist and it's not part of the Ventus line of tires. I didn't claim anything about its performance and I'm not aware of any head to head testing that's been done.