Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Ludicrious Model 3 will not get the $7,500 US tax credit. It will be over $55K for sure. The price of it is entirely dependent on how far they take it. If it is just a Highland version of the Model 3 Performance then probably right around $55K-$56K. If it is Ludicrious then probably more like $60K+.
That's the crux of what we are discussing.
If you read this thread, you'll see the exact issues that any car company has making a car that will serve all customers. So far I think we have the following design requirements for the Tesla team:

1) Won't buy it unless it beats an $110K M3 0-60
2) 0-60 is a stupid metric
3) I won't buy it unless it pulls at 120 MPH
4) It must "kill" the BMW M3 or it's pointless
5) What does a $100K BMW have to do with this market segment?
6) The interior must be "luxurious" or nobody will buy it
7) The interior is fine
8) The exterior must look different
9) The exterior must look really, really different
10) I just want it to be fast, don't care what it looks like
11) $63K is too much
12) $63K is a bargain
13) I want great, performance suspension
14) I want soft suspension, I don't care about max cornering
15) I track the car
16) All I do is stomp on the throttle at stop lights.
17) Quarter mile times matter a lot
18) 130+ MPH quarter mile times are pointless in a street car

What did I miss? ;)
what’s your point? You just criticize every post but offer nothing of value?

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
what’s your point? You just criticize every post but offer nothing of value?
gearchruncher has offered a ton of value in this thread alone. I believe his point is that everyone seems to have at least some wants that are totally different than other people. Tesla can't make the perfect car for everyone. Perhaps that is why the Performance Model has been delayed with respect to the LR and RWD models? Maybe they are still trying to figure out what will please the most people without increasing the price too much?

Reactions: Park2670
Different motors alone would push the price up significantly.

Note that I specifically said the “ludicrous” Model 3 would be over $55k. There is always the possibility that we just get a Highland Model 3 Performance with some staggered tires and a tweaked suspension and not much else. Basically a refreshed Model 3 Performance and not the car we are all hoping for.

I don’t think we will get just a refreshed Model 3 Performance but if we did then that car might be under $55k. However, that isn’t really the car we are all hoping for and not what I think they will deliver.
IIRC ludicrous mode used to be a software update on the model S. There’s no reason why you couldn’t have a $55k P3D with a $7k software unlock to get the 0-60 down to 2.6 or whatever. I’m just saying they can be creative since a $7500 credit is pretty significant for a car at that price point.

Eagerly anticipating this thing:
1699200225058.png

Which trim is this anyways?

No we don't.

We know it's likely to be cut in half for cars using chinese cells-- the P never has.

I thought the way they provide tax credits is to calculate a fleet average to qualify for the $7500 vs. $3750

Tesla even gave warning that the $7500 will end.

No we don't.

We know it's likely to be cut in half for cars using chinese cells-- the P never has.
Wishful thinking. It’s not as simple as you imply. It’s based on fleet average for the Model 3. Not individual trims. This is how the LFP Model 3s qualify for the $7,500 credit. I think the chance of a P qualifying for a larger credit than the other trims is slim.

Wishful thinking. It’s not as simple as you imply. It’s based on fleet average for the Model 3. Not individual trims. This is how the LFP Model 3s qualify for the $7,500 credit. I think the chance of a P qualifying for a larger credit than the other trims is slim.
Did they do this by calling all of them a Model 3 then adding the long range or performance package or this how they always sold their cars? Could they move to calling them model 3, model 3 long range, and model 3 performance to get around this?

Did they do this by calling all of them a Model 3 then adding the long range or performance package or this how they always sold their cars? Could they move to calling them model 3, model 3 long range, and model 3 performance to get around this?

No...read the article I linked above. Its based on the model itself...not a specifc trim. Most likely, the entire Model 3 will no longer qualify for the $7500. Conversely, it explains why the new RWD Model Y actually uses NMC batteries that are smaller vs. LFP. Enables Tesla to keep the $7500 tax credit for the entire line.

Not correct. Ludacris mode required a change in the fuse in the battery to allow higher current draw.
I guess it was ludicrous plus that was a software update. I wasn’t sure I never had a model S. Not really important either way the point was that Tesla could in theory sell the car for a given price then charge you a fee to unlock max acceleration. The regular dual motor has acceleration boost available for example.

Get ready for the new Tesla Model 3A and Tesla Model 3B that bear a striking similarity to each other.