Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man, what a letdown. The previous Performance was rated at 455 HP, made 520 HP at the wheels, and somewhere close to 580-600 without drivetrain losses. If the new figures are not understated, that's a 20-40 horsepower bump, the same lame front motor, and the same old battery. As I predicted, it will be just enough to get a 0-60 time that starts with a 2, and it may be a 10.90 car. Certainly quicker on paper, but I think day-to-day it's still going to feel like the old car when hustling it around on the daily commute or tracking it.
Keep in mind that in the US you will have the Panasonic pack, which means restricted about 20kW more and unrestricted even 45kW more.

The leaked figures are all based on the weaker LG pack, which is only partly used in the US M3LR 2023, but never in any US performance model, if I am not mistaken.

Keep in mind that in the US you will have the Panasonic pack, which means restricted about 20kW more and unrestricted even 45kW more.

The leaked figures are all based on the weaker LG pack, which is only partly used in the US M3LR 2023, but never in any US performance model, if I am not mistaken.
I don’t believe US built Model 3 Performance cars have ever used the current LG battery. I have never seen any instances of that before.

Performance Model 3 to have dampening tech in suspension.
What does that mean?
No, some people have misinterpreted what was said. The Highland suspension is a different tech to before but they are still conventional dampers, not air or active/semi-active. It's called selective frequency damping and was originally developed by Koni.

I'm feeling a little dissapointed already before the specs is revealed if the leaks and rumors are true.. knowing a 2022 (panasonic battery) equipped 3P lays down well above 500 hp to the wheels then a completely new version with 620ish claimed hp will not be enough to replace my car. Sure the new model will not drop power heavily from 80 ish mph but will keep on going to 100ish mph maybe.
You feel disappointed bc you read everyone’s wild ideas and speculation that was never based in reality. What we already knew about Tesla pretty much told us what this was gunna be.

Reactions: buckets0fun
More turning and braking. If you wear out your rear tires first in a performance AWD car, you were doing it wrong ;)
Yeah, mine wore out reasonably evenly, except the terrible alignment in the Plaid killed the inside edge of my tires and caused the tread to separate from the body of the tires after 15k. I probably would have gotten 20-25k miles out of the set, if that hadn't happened.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
FWIW, used low-mile Plaids are in the $65K range if you want the real deal and not a slightly warmed-over midsize M3P with lackluster performance.
Mostly for the 2021s, though. I haven't found good deals on the 2022s that were post -refresh refresh. There were a lot of issues with the 2021s, so I don't know I'd get another one. So many manufacturing screwups. I think by mid '22 or '23 they seem to have mostly gotten things right. I hope...

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
FWIW, used low-mile Plaids are in the $65K range if you want the real deal and not a slightly warmed-over midsize M3P with lackluster performance.

I feel like the price isn't the major hurdle in getting a Plaid for many folks...its the size. Not everyone wants a car that big. Rather have something relatively light and nimble. I love the Model 3 feel compared to anything else in the Tesla lineup.

Gunna burn through tires on this setup bc no tire rotation is possible.
My last set of tires were just over 4/32nds on the rear tires while the fronts were still about 8/32nds at about 5k miles. Started at 9/32nds. Might just be a case of replacing rear tires at twice the rate of front tires. Had to do that on my sport bikes too. Though, I'm running 275s all around currently so I'd probably go with the same on a new M3P/Ludicrous/Plaid.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
You feel disappointed bc you read everyone’s wild ideas and speculation that was never based in reality. What we already knew about Tesla pretty much told us what this was gunna be.
The M3P desimated the at the time beeing current BMW M3, the new M3P will probably even loose a drag race against the current 2 year old BMW M3. The Tesla aint got much other things going for it, I mean, handling, drive-feel, interior so the straight line performance should be a

Last edited:
Tesla recommends side-to-side. This is not acceptable?

It would be nice to have a 19" option from the factory with all seasons. 20" summers should be a track pack feature.
I have a 2021 M3 LR with AB and 19” sport rims. I rotate them front to back in my driveway every 7,500 miles, never side to side. So opposite of what you’ll have to do with the Ludicrous model it seems

Reactions: SigNC