Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adaptive dampers confirmed too! You can see standard and sport modes under ride and handling in the video

Found it on YouTube. Very short but confirms the Adaptive Suspension.

Weird how top acceleration is Insane yet they plan to call the car Ludicrous? Model 3 Insane doesn’t quite have the same ring to it ;)
hmm, they definitely set it up differently than it is in the plaid.

No dynamics menu and just a setting for steering weight instead of “ride and handling” (like all the other teslas). Then there’s a separate suspension menu and you can adjust that somewhat granularly if you go into the advanced menu. Track mode also stiffens up the suspension even further and enables toe torque vectoring etc.

I could chalk up “handling” meaning some more aggressive traction control settings, and a trick diff (Or an “E-LSD” like some BMW’s do), but “ride” pretty much has to mean adjustable dampers. Probably not adjustable springs (which is probably a good thing tbh). But I guess they might not be quite as adjustable as the S/X since they’re not giving you the more granular settings.

I do wonder if any of the menu changes will come to the Plaid. It’d also be nice for us to get the plaid symbol instead of just the word “Plaid” in the software menu

Attachments

• IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Why are people happy about the adjustable suspension? Short of a well-tuned magneride (which Tesla won't install), it's probably not gonna be too useful, will carry extra weight, and make installing an aftermarket one marginally more involved. Even worse if it's an air suspension.
Adjustable dampers don't weigh that much more than normal dampers. And I imagine people are excited for it because the stock model 3 suspension kinda sucked. Not quite smooth enough for street driving, not sporty enough for performance driving.

Why are people happy about the adjustable suspension? Short of a well-tuned magneride (which Tesla won't install), it's probably not gonna be too useful, will carry extra weight, and make installing an aftermarket one marginally more involved. Even worse if it's an air suspension.
My 2018 Model 3 has the stiffest suspension of any car I've had. Hoping my next vehicle will have a much more plush ride, where I don't feel every bump in the road. Will this suspension transfer over the regular models later?

My 2018 Model 3 has the stiffest suspension of any car I've had. Hoping my next vehicle will have a much more plush ride, where I don't feel every bump in the road. Will this suspension transfer over the regular models later?
Same shocks as 2024 RWD/LR (Koni FSD or similar implementation) with extra servo in the shock to adjust the frequency damped. It's already in its plushest implementation in the regulars.

Well I'm from Europe, first ones seem to be made in China so it'll have the LG pack. Unknown if they'll use Panasonic pack in the US but seeing as LR doesn't anymore I think you'll have the LG pack also.

Anyway I agree they can go faster 0-60 and wider tyres will help with that. Just remember LG pack Model 3 Performance is slower than Panasonic. It doesn't drop off as much at lower SOC though and is better in colder climates. Believe the degregation is also less as well.
Panasonic (known 82kWh) for US cars is confirmed as it seems:

Not the made in China models it didn't, P stayed on Panasonic for a bit longer but it's been on the LG pack for a good while now.

Since I specifically brought up the IRA credits, which only apply to US sold cars, I was pretty obviously talking about the ones made in Fremont.

And post 4 up from mine seems to confirm they'll still do so, using the Pana pack in the P in the US.

Which honestly seems a weird choice given I don't see any pricing that makes sense for them using US cells in the performance P given how LR and RWD are priced.... they'll either need to just kill the LR AWD entirely again, or slash the price by like 4-5k (and RWD by several K).... versus just using Chinese cells (and putting all the US ones in Ys) and pricing it as-expected above the LR.

Bummed to see that they've implemented a new "Insane" driving mode. One of the things that makes the outgoing model so great is that it drives very nicely in normal mode so the full performance is always available without the need to daily in some neutered mode.

Cars with all these launch modes, Cheetah modes, Turbo Boost, etc. are stupid. It was even stupid on the TV show that invented driving modes. KITT had all this awesome capability, but for some reason the car always defaulted to "Eco mode" and every single episode featured Michael struggling with the primitive voice control system to get it running right. It never seemed like futuristic fantasy to me, just really bad automotive design.

Bummed to see that they've implemented a new "Insane" driving mode. One of the things that makes the outgoing model so great is that it drives very nicely in normal mode so the full performance is always available without the need to daily in some neutered mode.

Cars with all these launch modes, Cheetah modes, Turbo Boost, etc. are stupid. It was even stupid on the TV show that invented driving modes. KITT had all this awesome capability, but for some reason the car always defaulted to "Eco mode" and every single episode featured Michael struggling with the primitive voice control system to get it running right. It never seemed like futuristic fantasy to me, just really bad automotive design.
lol I mean I drive my MS in insane mode every day haha it never goes into chill mode

At the end of the day you are using it as a commuter, not some weekend exotic. You want to be able to maximize range, giving it an LR drive mode makes sense.