Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that if you have to reapply, that likely triggers another inquiry on your credit report and may affect your credit score. This is what I'm concerned about.
Looks like Tesla ran a credit report without my permission today, I rang them to complain about the fact no one told em that financing could expire and they said the would look into it and look at maybe getting my old offer back....then I get a notification that credit has been run again and different bank have offered new terms, now also my minimum down payment went from $2900 previously to $6600...not happy at all

Looks like Tesla ran a credit report without my permission today, I rang them to complain about the fact no one told em that financing could expire and they said the would look into it and look at maybe getting my old offer back....then I get a notification that credit has been run again and different bank have offered new terms, now also my minimum down payment went from $2900 previously to $6600...not happy at all
And now you're dinged if you wanna get another car other than a Tesla after this. Great company they have here.

Hello to all those who are waiting . . .

I have been doing this since 2015. I currently have an order for a new M3, and it will be my 6th or 7th new Tesla (depending on whether I count the one I previously ordered for my wife).

I was reading many of the comments, and I decided to offer some things I’ve learned during the past 9 years.

First, to those who are suffering from righteous indignation because they ordered 50 days ago and someone who just ordered received a VIN. You should relax and understand that there is no cutting the line. What happens is the car was en-route to a buyer, and the buyer just clicked “cancel order.” Tesla doesn’t turn around the train and send the car back to Fremont. They simply look for another buyer with the same order and in the same geographical area. The VIN is just reassigned to that buyer. Yes, the buyer may have just put in the order a few days ago, and it looks like they are cutting the line. But no, Tesla is just doing the wise thing and ensuring that the order is fulfilled as promptly and economically as possible.

Second, Tesla always does the same thing at the end of every quarter. Let’s take March for example. They will ship as many cars as possible to the east coast in the beginning of March, and then to the mid-west in the middle of March, and then go “west coast only” in the last week of March. The last few days of March will be California and Fremont only deliveries. It has happened this way every single time.

Third, be aware that only a small percentage of buyers are on this forum. It is easy to think that what happens on this forum represents reality. That’s not really true. The reality is that most people submit their orders and simply wait until they are notified that a VIN has been assigned. It is nice to have this forum and the related interactions, but just know that there are many thousands of current buyers who are not contributing their stories and information on this forum.

Fourth, PPF? Who would spend 10-15% of the cost of car to protect it from a few paint chips? I have a 26 year old Porsche that has no paint protection and the paint looks perfect. Forget the PPF and just do your best to avoid concrete and gravel trucks. It always works for me.

Lastly, there have been many people who claim their SA gave them inside information about delivery status, production delays, etc. In reality, your SA knows very little. They are very, very low in the Tesla hierarchy. They are not gifted with inside information, and, no matter how nice you are, or how much you yell at them, they will not give you information they do not possess. In fact, you will be surprised to know that, in many cases, your SA will no longer be at the local Tesla store a few months from now. The turnover is incredible. The simple truth is that the SA is there to help you with a test drive, to answer your questions about a particular Tesla model, and then, if necessary, to assist you with making your order. That’s it.

The process today is very much the same now as it was at the beginning of 2015. My simple advice: relax, take a breath, and be ready to enjoy your future Tesla. They are worth the wait.

I have been doing this since 2015. I currently have an order for a new M3, and it will be my 6th or 7th new Tesla (depending on whether I count the one I previously ordered for my wife).

I was reading many of the comments, and I decided to offer some things I’ve learned during the past 9 years.

First, to those who are suffering from righteous indignation because they ordered 50 days ago and someone who just ordered received a VIN. You should relax and understand that there is no cutting the line. What happens is the car was en-route to a buyer, and the buyer just clicked “cancel order.” Tesla doesn’t turn around the train and send the car back to Fremont. They simply look for another buyer with the same order and in the same geographical area. The VIN is just reassigned to that buyer. Yes, the buyer may have just put in the order a few days ago, and it looks like they are cutting the line. But no, Tesla is just doing the wise thing and ensuring that the order is fulfilled as promptly and economically as possible.

Second, Tesla always does the same thing at the end of every quarter. Let’s take March for example. They will ship as many cars as possible to the east coast in the beginning of March, and then to the mid-west in the middle of March, and then go “west coast only” in the last week of March. The last few days of March will be California and Fremont only deliveries. It has happened this way every single time.

Third, be aware that only a small percentage of buyers are on this forum. It is easy to think that what happens on this forum represents reality. That’s not really true. The reality is that most people submit their orders and simply wait until they are notified that a VIN has been assigned. It is nice to have this forum and the related interactions, but just know that there are many thousands of current buyers who are not contributing their stories and information on this forum.

Fourth, PPF? Who would spend 10-15% of the cost of car to protect it from a few paint chips? I have a 26 year old Porsche that has no paint protection and the paint looks perfect. Forget the PPF and just do your best to avoid concrete and gravel trucks. It always works for me.

Lastly, there have been many people who claim their SA gave them inside information about delivery status, production delays, etc. In reality, your SA knows very little. They are very, very low in the Tesla hierarchy. They are not gifted with inside information, and, no matter how nice you are, or how much you yell at them, they will not give you information they do not possess. In fact, you will be surprised to know that, in many cases, your SA will no longer be at the local Tesla store a few months from now. The turnover is incredible. The simple truth is that the SA is there to help you with a test drive, to answer your questions about a particular Tesla model, and then, if necessary, to assist you with making your order. That’s it.

The process today is very much the same now as it was at the beginning of 2015. My simple advice: relax, take a breath, and be ready to enjoy your future Tesla. They are worth the wait.
@kavocat, thank you for your sound advice backed by experience. We need those big picture contributions to avoid tunnel vision thinking and increased anxiety. 🙏🏽

This will be my 3rd Tesla and I 100% agree with you.

I should stop punishing myself by ordering first production run of these darn cars lol.

This will be my 3rd Tesla and I 100% agree with you.

I should stop punishing myself by ordering first production run of these darn cars lol.
This! LOL same. Just like kavocat, awaiting my 7th. And for some reason, the 5 of the 7 that were for me are all first run. Gonna have to see a therapist for an apparent need to emotional self-sabotage.

Reactions: 00omega

Can you explain how there’s “no cutting in line” if people in my location, same build as me, but later order date are getting theirs when I ordered the day of release? Again, same build, same location, only difference is I ordered earlier but they receive car before I get a VIN. Seems like a miss in line order if you ask me.

Reactions: Jaycha2
Can you explain how there’s “no cutting in line” if people in my location, same build as me, but later order date are getting theirs when I ordered the day of release? Again, same build, same location, only difference is I ordered earlier but they receive car before I get a VIN. Seems like a miss in line order if you ask me.
While he’s 99% right, there are instances to “cut” lines. Most probably don’t apply to your situation but I (and you) don’t know.
I do believe the few people that have told me that loyalty is a factor in allocation. So maybe that.
To pre-answer the inevitable attack on my cutting line note, I personally have cut a line before. My first-run MYP was a piece of crap. So many issues. Worse yet, I had been put through the wringer with an assigned VIN, damaged product, then placed back at the end of the queue. Finally, they allowed me to fly to LA to pick one up (and register in AZ) and drive it back. Huge mistake since, as I noted, it was chock-full of issues. I got in contact with someone in corporate to tell my tale of woe to. They made some concessions and asked me to reach out the next time I purchased a car so they could facilitate. When they launched the ‘22 MSLR (stupid yoke) I contacted her and “cut in line.” They had a car to me pretty quick. Again, first run issues, but that’s a story for another day.

Amen. Thank you for telling all the folks telling others to “cool it bro” to cool it themselves in a very kind way. Also I’ll take your experience and comments over all the speculation on this forum.

Agree with all that, except when you mentioned the people that work at Tesla don’t have solid information about where the delivery is. It’s been backed by multiple people on this forum when I posted about the train that is coming from Chicago, which a worker at Tesla pulled up on their tracking software. Solid post, that’s the only thing I found to disagree with.

Last edited:

Nice, I understand that is the way things were in 2015. If Tesla still do the same things for delivery for the past 9 years, it is not good. The people in the forum wish more transparency.

Not because it was ok for the last 9 years that means it is acceptable in 2024.

If Amazon was still shipping the products and using ontrac (5 day shipping of big things) like in 2015, a competitor could had already dethrone them already.

BYOD will bring cars when they finish their plant in Mexico. Even Tesla will start construction of the new plant in Mexico, Model 2 is coming late and if they still planning to do things like 2015, it will loose market share. Cybertruck is cool, tomorrow the roadster, but how long they can still do the same? Where is FSD for the new Model 3?

I was in a showroom waiting for my SA to be free and I heard every SA saying to the customers, do not buy FSD, subscribe to the 200 monthly if you want to really use it.

Last edited:
Nice, I understand that is the way things were in 2015. If Tesla still do the same things dor delivery for the past 9 years, it is not good. The people in the forum wish more transparency.

Not because it was ok for the last 9 years that means it is acceptable in 2024.
If you need immediate gratification, maybe switch to an inventory Y? They seem plentiful.

Great post with great advice. While I don’t have 9 years and 7 Tesla’s of experience, I do have 2 Tesla’s with very different order experiences. I got tired of waiting on the Cybertruck and really wanted an EV. I was entertaining both the MY and the M3 and after test driving both, I ordered the 2022 MYP at the SC. The ‘22 MYP was ordered in February and Tesla was in the middle of some changes in this version, added heat pump, transitioning from Intel to AMD and a few other tweaks. Long story short, a February order delivered in June! A lot of factors were in play at that time, supply chain issues, chip issues etc. That wait, that experience really tested my patience. The highs, the lows, the why do I have my money invested in this company? Emotions galore. All followed by a less than desirable delivery experience, but that’s a story for another time or thread. I completely understand the frustration you’re all going through on the new M3, particularly those waiting on the LR version. Tesla #2 was ordered this last December as a Christmas gift for my wife. Ordered a ‘23 LR MY trying to take advantage of the federal tax credits since the Tesla website was saying those credits were going away (which they did not) is what it is, no regrets. HWHL. Ordered her the MY and had a VIN in 2 weeks. Honestly, had I known Highland was launching in 2024, I would have waited for the new M3 for her and would have been happy with Colorado’s $5k tax credit. Y’all, this car is a beaut! Test drove it with my son, and that’s why I’m here on this thread. He placed his order 1/10, I plugged him into TMC because this is a great source for everything Tesla and an emotional support system, lol. I follow along here to see what’s going on and talk him off the ledge sharing what I know and experienced in my wait. I’m not an expert on Tesla, supply chain and/or logistics, but after my long wait, I did learn a lot. For those that are getting the updates of April/May EDD’s with early 1/10 orders, I seriously doubt it will be that long. Tesla’s EOQ push is real, while mostly benefiting those in Cali, make no mistake they pump out and ship vehicles. For Tesla, it’s like they were told what the topic of final paper of the semester would be on the first day of class, but decided to wait until the last week to do it. Note, it may not be their best work, so grade them carefully. While this can be a frustrating moment, it’s an experience you’ll love, hate and remember. You may even post in a thread that you have no skin in the game for, but may be able to share some experience and advice. Overall, I’m happy with Tesla, but they are far from perfect, but what car company is?

I think there’s middle ground with immediate and 50+ days zero transparency, multiple push backs.
Fully agree there is a middle ground to communications and expectations. Tesla isn't a traditional dealer where you can go to a lot and have your pick of 10 of the same car in different colors, all same-day. But giving realistic expectations for Estimated dates would be helpful. Don't expect they're gonna spill the beans on the secret sauce of allocation algorithms, but there's certainly some anecdotal evidence for factors that matter.

Reactions: xii_
Fully agree there is a middle ground to communications and expectations. Tesla isn't a traditional dealer where you can go to a lot and have your pick of 10 of the same car in different colors, all same-day. But giving realistic expectations for Estimated dates would be helpful. Don't expect they're gonna spill the beans on the secret sauce of allocation algorithms, but there's certainly some anecdotal evidence for factors that matter.
Given how much into tech Tesla is, I'm surprised you can't see the status of your order at any given time. Kind of like Dominos does when you order a pizza, you can see each stage in the app. It doesn't even need to be specific, just something general so at least you know something is happening.