Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Model 3 Keycard and Shop Alarms

Went shopping today, and every time I walked into a shop and left a shop I set of the alarms... Seemed my wallet, with the key card in was the culprit. Anyone else found this? Really annoying being stared at each time I leave a store!
Which shops?

id recommend a faraday wallet to prevent the signals from escaping to the magnetic alarm.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
In 2 years of having a keycard in my wallet at all times when I've been shopping I've never had this happen. Are you certain its the keycard? If so, you might want to invest in a shielding wallet to stop this happening (or maybe check that it happens with both your keycards, in case one is somehow a "rogue").

I use to have it years ago with one of my ID cards (and confirmed by the employer who phased them out), but never had it with a key card, not that I've been into many shops recently. I think if it was a common problem we would have heard more about it, but odd that its every time you walked into a shop.

Last edited:
Went shopping today, and every time I walked into a shop and left a shop I set of the alarms... Seemed my wallet, with the key card in was the culprit. Anyone else found this? Really annoying being stared at each time I leave a store!
Never had that happen (yet) and I always have the key card in my pocket!

Been fine ever since.
Hope you checked the card actually works with the car afterwards :)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC