Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keycard and Shop Alarms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went shopping today, and every time I walked into a shop and left a shop I set of the alarms... Seemed my wallet, with the key card in was the culprit. Anyone else found this? Really annoying being stared at each time I leave a store!

In 2 years of having a keycard in my wallet at all times when I've been shopping I've never had this happen. Are you certain its the keycard? If so, you might want to invest in a shielding wallet to stop this happening (or maybe check that it happens with both your keycards, in case one is somehow a "rogue").

I use to have it years ago with one of my ID cards (and confirmed by the employer who phased them out), but never had it with a key card, not that I've been into many shops recently. I think if it was a common problem we would have heard more about it, but odd that its every time you walked into a shop.

Last edited:
I used to get this walking in and out of Asda. Got a bit irritating so I asked customer services about it and they wiped my card over whatever they use to deactivate security labels. Been fine ever since.

Went shopping today, and every time I walked into a shop and left a shop I set of the alarms... Seemed my wallet, with the key card in was the culprit. Anyone else found this? Really annoying being stared at each time I leave a store!
Never had that happen (yet) and I always have the key card in my pocket!

Been fine ever since.
Hope you checked the card actually works with the car afterwards :)

Hmm.. Thanks for the responses, maybe its a different card. A faraday wallet/insert maybe a good idea. It is happening in Sainsburys, and the local garden centre. Not braved many other shops recently.

I'll see about rubbing it over to see if that helps.