Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a solution!!! There were plans for fence closing off employee parking but they fell through years ago. The pipes are already laid but have nothing in them. It was confirmed they go to the breaker. So all we have to do is have an electrician fish the wires to the breaker and then set up the outlets. I’ll probably have 2-3 sets of wires set so when/if chargers are approved.

Lol!! Mine are 7 and 4
I suspect you married an accountant/auditor and once the routine was established it can’t be changed. 😂

But as you established in your original post the car really isn’t the solution to your problem. You are not too far away from weeknight little league games, dance recitals, soccer practices, etc. missing bedtime is just the beginning as you already know.

I wish you the best of luck balancing work life and family life

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
I suspect you married an accountant/auditor and once the routine was established it can’t be changed. 😂

But as you established in your original post the car really isn’t the solution to your problem. You are not to far away from weeknight little league games, dance recitals, soccer practices, etc. missing bedtime is just the beginning as you already know.

I wish you the best of luck balancing work life and family life

It isn’t easy, that’s for sure. In non-Covid times, I travel for work almost every week. Usually 2-3 days a week. All domestic, but could be anywhere from Massachusetts to California on a given day.
My son is 13 now - I’m just eternally grateful that I never missed one Little League game, or one basketball game, or any school activities. Sometimes I think it’s actually easier to work that stuff in when flying coast to coast than a daily brutal commute. At least I had the flexibility to set my own flights and meeting times, and a customer whose corporate culture values family time. So when I say “my son’s got a ball game Tuesday, can I catch the 6am flight Weds and meet at noon?” - they accommodate that.
I really feel for @Jericho574 because I don’t think a “local” commute gets the same kind of flexibility.

Parenting ain’t easy!

Well I agree with the big dog. My travel was 4-5 days a week, different land.
At least the 3 it quiet enough to do calls. My bosses always let me shift travel
times so if kept me out of rush hour. 5:am - 3:30
Now I love to work at nothing all day.. Still under lockdown.

Found a solution!!! There were plans for fence closing off employee parking but they fell through years ago. The pipes are already laid but have nothing in them. It was confirmed they go to the breaker. So all we have to do is have an electrician fish the wires to the breaker and then set up the outlets. I’ll probably have 2-3 sets of wires set so when/if chargers are approved.
If you are putting in regular EVSEs rather than Chargepoints then you can put in multiple Tesla Wall Connectors on the same wire, they do load sharing assuming that you can give them a WiFI connection which should be possible. Have the electrician fish an Ethernet cable through the conduit as well the power wires, that will make it possible to set up a WiFI access point in the parking lot. Also have them check with Tesla if they will provide the Wall Connectors for free, they were doing that for hotels at one point and they might also do it for a hospital. Even if they don't provide them for free the regular price is only $500, that's a lot cheaper than the price for regular J1772 EVSEs with a similar power level. I'd have them put in several Tesla Wall Connectors and a couple of J1772s

All of the EVSEs should do load sharing, the Tesla's have that capability there are also J1772s that can do it, I have no specific recommendation for that. The lions share of the cost will be electricians time, after accounting for the them showing up in the first place and running the wires the additional time for each EVSE is trivial so while they are there they should over provision for the your current needs.
Load sharing is important because each unit will utilized for only a small amount of time during the day. Your commute is extreme, your car will need about four hours to charge but for people with ordinary commutes they will only need about 30 minutes a day.

Reactions: Big Earl
If you are putting in regular EVSEs rather than Chargepoints then you can put in multiple Tesla Wall Connectors on the same wire, they do load sharing assuming that you can give them a WiFI connection which should be possible. Have the electrician fish an Ethernet cable through the conduit as well the power wires, that will make it possible to set up a WiFI access point in the parking lot. Also have them check with Tesla if they will provide the Wall Connectors for free, they were doing that for hotels at one point and they might also do it for a hospital. Even if they don't provide them for free the regular price is only $500, that's a lot cheaper than the price for regular J1772 EVSEs with a similar power level. I'd have them put in several Tesla Wall Connectors and a couple of J1772s

Has load sharing been turned on, on the Gen 3 Tesla wall connectors? Last I heard that was "coming soon", but I am not following it super closely.

Reactions: dmurphy
All of the EVSEs should do load sharing, the Tesla's have that capability there are also J1772s that can do it, I have no specific recommendation for that. The lions share of the cost will be electricians time, after accounting for the them showing up in the first place and running the wires the additional time for each EVSE is trivial so while they are there they should over provision for the your current needs.
Load sharing is important because each unit will utilized for only a small amount of time during the day. Your commute is extreme, your car will need about four hours to charge but for people with ordinary commutes they will only need about 30 minutes a day.

This is a very good recommendation. I'm looking at a charging project for several college campuses and load sharing is very important to maximize the number of vehicles that can charge while minimizing the inconvenience to users. For us, load sharing allows us to install twice the number of charging stations, while minimizing how often people have to come move their vehicles to avoid tickets for being in a charging spot without charging (after they've finished charging). Raw charging speed isn't really important in these types of applications where people are parked for most of the day (full time workers and full time students who commute to campus).

The most cost effective option we've found is installing pairs of charging stations that can share 40 amp circuits, providing 32 amps to a single vehicle or 16 amps to each of two vehicles per pair installed. This can be accomplished through both networked (Chargepoint, SemaConnect) and non-networked (Clipper Creek) charging stations.

If you're looking to install dozens of charging stations, which in my opinion any large hospital or school system should, this thread is an excellent resource: Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA

Has load sharing been turned on, on the Gen 3 Tesla wall connectors? Last I heard that was "coming soon", but I am not following it super closely.

Not yet as far as I'm aware.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
get the LR get it and enjoy life dude... i use to commute like you... 3hrs each way every single day for years and years... pump gas every other day.... just the time savings alone without having to go to the gas station is worth it.

I believe you’re exactly right. Last I heard, it hadn’t been enabled yet on the Gen 3 connectors.

In this case with the conduit already in place, I’d be a little self serving and not load share. Can always add a 2nd and load share later. But given there’s only 2 cars in the lot that can take advantage, let ‘em drink from the fire hose. :)

Great news! I wonder what is more expensive, laying pipe or the cost of wire (copper cable)?

Never mind, cancel that. The pipes that were going to be used...turns out they have fiber optic cables inside. We can't add power lines as it would add static/distortion.

A 112V can be added out there almost anywhere. Let's say the car gets 325 (call it 300) miles and I charge to 90% = 270. Minus 136 to work leaves 134 remaining. I charge for 9 hours at 3m/hr. So I'd start my 136m trek home with 161m. Sounds too close for comfort considering the margin of error in my stated variables.

Back to the drawing board lol

Never mind, cancel that. The pipes that were going to be used...turns out they have fiber optic cables inside. We can't add power lines as it would add static/distortion.

A 112V can be added out there almost anywhere. Let's say the car gets 325 (call it 300) miles and I charge to 90% = 270. Minus 136 to work leaves 134 remaining. I charge for 9 hours at 3m/hr. So I'd start my 136m trek home with 161m. Sounds too close for comfort considering the margin of error in my stated variables.

Wait for a Model S Plaid+ or get a Prius. :D

Code is one thing which would prohibit electrical in the same conduit but I don’t know how an electrical cable would induce static on a fiber cable. :)

Dang ... that’s a bummer. Now, adding a 120V circuit would give you 40-45 miles in a 9 hour window. Yeah, might be a little close. Doable but close. Ugh. Keep hoping for you to find a solution!

Model S LR is north of 400 mi range - that’d do it for sure ....

Reactions: HAL2001
36B9A947-F723-4DBE-B42B-C08736E4F2BD.jpeg

I’ve seen threads asking if a Model 3 LR can handle a long commute and the answer is typically yes, however I have something I haven’t seen discussed...

I have a long daily commute 136 miles each way (272 daily). Please no comments about that as I can answer them quickly: Yes, the commute is for a high paying job. No, my wife will not move. No, I cannot work from home. No, I cannot find a similar job that’s closer to home. No, I cannot charge at work (although that might be a possibility). No, I do not care about depreciation or resale value.

That out of the way, I live in Jacksonville, FL so it gets hot and the winters don’t get below 30-40*. My commute is 100% highway. I’m currently paying $600/m in gas so an EV seems like a no-brainer. My problem is I’m not sure a Model 3 LR can go 275 daily (I always read to charge to 80% and not below 20%, which would leave only 210 miles). Being on the road for 4 hours a day, I’m not real interested in stopping to charge.

So my question is, can a LR actually be used for 275 daily with no charging in between?

Thanks
In FL you are probably okay since using autopilot if below 75 mph, but I would want a SC mapped close just in case. If you can get charging at office, better as there are some losses while sitting. It is fine to charge to 100% if you need it, just not letting it sit that high for days. If I were you,!I would get the S (400 mi) or wait a year for the new cells so you don't worry about it.