Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other MFG’s are scrambling with the new bill and Europe MFG’s noted its in violation of the as it reduces ev adoption by limiting which vehicles and mfgs are eligible. Then others are stating the bill is not inline with the World Trade Organization rules that the USA currently has in place with other countries.
@Evpowerdan The outgoing EV tax credit helped stimulate EV development and purchases. (Unfortunately including PHEV, which...meh.)

The new EV tax rebate seems mostly aimed at favoring American unions and the "big 3" Detroit area automakers. It's really not about EV adoption anymore, nor is it about any environmental benefits. I haven't looked into whether it might violate any WTO rules but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does.

Will they allow you to change from RWD to LR if 2023 ordering opens before you get your RWD.
I know I could have changed my 2022 RWD to a 2022 LR through the edit order feature and retain the price in effect when I ordered. Now that the LR would be a 2023 car, I'm not sure if I can change it through the Edit Order or not. Assuming the price might be even lower then when I ordered in Jun, I'd get the lower price. But would I retain my place in line and get an early 2023 car? It is really easy to walk away from the $250 order fee if I get a 2023 LR and $7,500 off. But I wouldn't want to get back at the beginning of the line. However, once the 2023 goes back on order I'm likely to be one of the first to get in line. We'll have to see how it all works out. So much uncertainty. I know I really don't want to be a person who takes delivery of a car in December only to lose out on $7,500 if I waited a month. I'm not sure how Tesla is going to deal with that issue. Unless you are prohibited because you exceed the income cap, who is going to take delivery a month or two before a big rebate is available? Unless you just really need a car.

The new EV tax rebate seems mostly aimed at favoring American unions and the "big 3" Detroit area automakers. It's really not about EV adoption anymore, nor is it about any environmental benefits.
Huh?

It seems pretty clearly not a union-specific bill (fortunately - some of the prior bills were very much that way). It simply requires that the cars be made in America and use raw materials mostly from America and trading partners. This seems like a very good thing based on recent events. Going green is all very well, but not if it comes with leverage exerted by China via supply chains.

Time to decouple big time. Trade with friends and don’t be overly reliant on people you cannot trust.

This is a huge bill and will definitely help EV adoption.

Reactions: voxel and Slushy
I know I could have changed my 2022 RWD to a 2022 LR through the edit order feature and retain the price in effect when I ordered. Now that the LR would be a 2023 car, I'm not sure if I can change it through the Edit Order or not. Assuming the price might be even lower then when I ordered in Jun, I'd get the lower price. But would I retain my place in line and get an early 2023 car? It is really easy to walk away from the $250 order fee if I get a 2023 LR and $7,500 off. But I wouldn't want to get back at the beginning of the line. However, once the 2023 goes back on order I'm likely to be one of the first to get in line. We'll have to see how it all works out. So much uncertainty. I know I really don't want to be a person who takes delivery of a car in December only to lose out on $7,500 if I waited a month. I'm not sure how Tesla is going to deal with that issue. Unless you are prohibited because you exceed the income cap, who is going to take delivery a month or two before a big rebate is available? Unless you just really need a car.
In late June when I changed my Feb order from a RWD to an LR, I still got the price set in Feb for the LR and my delivery date moved up from Sept-Oct to July. We took delivery July 18th.

Then why is it also not available in Canada, Mexico, and Taiwan? (All of them get the LR from Fremont, and none of them have the IRA bill.)
To remain consistent in their approach and to not have their intentions be so blatant in nature. I find it not coincidental that their best selling Model 3 trim goes "not available for sale" just days before IRA bill gets passed or not...depending on that outcome, it will shape how they conduct business and more importantly to consumers, what the end price of the LR will be.

Or it could be just like Elon said, demand is too heavy and they don't want to commit to pricing that far in the future because they don't know how inflation is going to play out.
One could argue the same sentiment on the SR Model 3....that waitlist is right up there with the LR. In fact, many others that have ordered a SR (myself included) switched to a LR since we could get them 2-3 months sooner. If what you've stated is to be true from Elon, then why aren't all Model 3 trims "not available for sale"?

Reactions: fishy21
If Tesla temporarily stops producing the M3 LR, it must simplify the assembly line at Fremont by a small amount. Or it may create capacity for other models.
It could also be that the M3 LR is their lowest profit margin vehicle of the 3. Therefore suspend sales of it to keep the wait times from becoming exceedingly long, while continue the ordering of the higher profit margin Model 3's.