Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR range - anyone check it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread. I’m finding efficiency is significantly better on 3 than S, though lots of variables and < week of 3 ownership.

If you’re keen on logging data in the background you should check out TeslaFi - no affiliation, though James is another TMCer. I’ve found it fascinating comparing vampire loss as well as efficiency info and comparing with my S by creating another account. Check it out and if you want a referral code for extra 2 weeks (iirc) for the trial pm me. In full transparency, there’s a referral kickback of 5$ to the referrer if you chose to subscribe, which I just donate to charity. It’s more for the extra 2weeks free trial ;).

Anywho, here’s today’s info that it logged as an overview:
21E9CB40-8484-4DDB-AF19-D6ABFF7E9391.png

and with the bigger 19" wheels and not the 18" aeros which is what I think the EPA test was done.

So in a lot of ways this test is not very useful - Slow highway speeds that cancels out the bigger wheels. I am sorry I don't see the point. I like Bjorn's videos and I respect him a lot for the education he has done over the years, but on this one he completely missed the mark. At the end of the day, this test doesn't really tell me anything. I saw the whole video and was disappointed.

i would rather have him drive with 18" Aeros with a steady 65mph and report back for the US and Europe (minus Scandinavia) crowd.

Also his estimate is 72 kWh useful with a possible 78 with buffer. Hmm.. that is different from others who have done the cell level math.

and he says this in his written description, that doesn't make sense:

"This is better than Bolt EV/Ampera-e and will match Model S 75D or classic 85/P85 range. Quite impressive!"

What?? How does an S 75D or 85 match the range of 3 LR? S85 has 260 miles ranges, whereas the 3LR has 310 miles EPA range.

Last edited by a moderator:
and with the bigger 19" wheels and not the 18" aeros which is what I think the EPA test was done.

So in a lot of ways this test is not very useful - Slow highway speeds that cancels out the bigger wheels. I am sorry I don't see the point. I like Bjorn's videos and I respect him a lot for the education he has done over the years, but on this one he completely missed the mark. At the end of the day, this test doesn't really tell me anything. I saw the whole video and was disappointed.

i would rather have him drive with 18" Aeros with a steady 65mph and report back for the US and Europe (minus Scandinavia) crowd.

Also his estimate is 72 kWh useful with a possible 78 with buffer. Hmm.. that is different from others who have done the cell level math.
I think it's useful. The mismatch between what the display said is available (72+ kWh) and what was used on the EPA test (78+ kWh) is I'm guessing because Tesla hides some capacity from the user. That would be ~6kWh, which is enough to travel ~25 miles, and about the same amount of hidden range as a 25mpg car would have if the empty light comes up with ~1 gallon of gas left in the tank. It also explains why Tesla asked the EPA to lower the range to 310 miles after the testing showed a range of ~335 miles.

Either way, if it's 72kWh or 78kWh, range until empty with the 19"s is 320 miles or 347 miles respectively. We already know the 3 with Aero wheels gets 10+% better range than with the Sport wheels at 50mph, which suggests the 3 with Aero wheels would go 350+ miles or 380+ miles until empty at 55mph.

Last edited:
I don't care what something can go at 55mph. I want to how much the 3 can go at 65mph, or at 70mph
The faster you go, the lower your range. Here's my conservative guesstimate for speed/range until the car says you're empty (You should still have 10-20+ miles after that) with the Aero wheels.

65mph gives 270miles? I think you can get better than that.

Thats why we got to drive to check it out. All these guesstimates are only worth so much. IMO Bjorn blew it by testing it at a speed that is irrelevant to most of us.

We have had glowing reviews of M3 on the driving dynamics, exterior, interior, charging capability - but so far I haven't seen any report on how the range holds on the highway, long distance real-world driving on a full charge. 310? 320? Or more?

One of the first things we all learnt about the Leaf, Bolt and even S is - did the range hold up to the advertised number? And Bolt famously did better.

What about 3 LR?
Once we got the car we threw a full charge into it, which leased about 315 according to the UI, back and forth to Orlando and driving around depeledt it to about 180, on a normal hot Florida day.

Now we will be taking it on longer trips and using it as a commuter car but so far the LR battery lives up to its billing.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
65mph gives 270miles? I think you can get better than that.

Thats why we got to drive to check it out. All these guesstimates are only worth so much. IMO Bjorn blew it by testing it at a speed that is irrelevant to most of us.
Probably. My initial estimate for the 3 with Aero wheels was 360 miles at 55mph, but that's using the whole pack. The Sport wheels should be about 330 miles at 55mph using the whole pack, and about 305 miles with the 25 mile buffer, so pretty close to this real world test. My 65mph estimate with the Aero wheels was 300 miles on the nose, so 280 is probably more accurate. Keep in mind I'm not including the roughly 25 miles of reserve Tesla seems to be setting aside.

It's also not realistic to assume a steady 65mph from start to end. IRL it'll be a little farther because at least some time will be spent off the highway below 65mph.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Ok worse case perhaps? Freezing temperatures, at high elevation (Denver) - driving East to Goodland KS. Google says it's 215 miles. We drove (AWD, extended battery charged to 90%), 19" wheels, at 85 mph mostly - made it there with 5% to spare. We were a tad anxious.

Ok worse case perhaps? Freezing temperatures, at high elevation (Denver) - driving East to Goodland KS. Google says it's 215 miles. We drove (AWD, extended battery charged to 90%), 19" wheels, at 85 mph mostly - made it there with 5% to spare. We were a tad anxious.
You should charge to 100% when doing road trips like that. In my S90D (with less range than the LR 3), I could easily make it from the west Denver metro area to Goodland when driving 80 mph. Now in an S100D, I can easily make it to Colby before my first Supercharging stop. When taking I-76 to Nebraska, I could easily make it to Ogallala (225 miles) and still have 10% to 15% remaining on an S90D.

If you use the Trip tab on the energy graph, you can see pretty much exactly how much energy you will arrive with and the car would've been warning you all along that you need to stay below x mph (with x being way below 85 mph) in order to make it to the Supercharger.

I haven't taken our 3 on either route yet but we've driven it to California a couple of times and have never been worried about range.