Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But wouldn't you want nav on all the time, especially in EAP? I can see FSD needing fewer displays, but EAP is what's shipping with the car and that's going to require the most (read: all) displays. We're still a long ways off from FSD to the point where we can turn off our informational displays. And even in such a case, I would still always want nav on to make sure my car isn't taking me to a shipping container where I'd spend the next couple weeks out at sea.

Extra points for the Silicon Valley reference.

we'll see.....maybe it will add an onboard AI and talk to us a lot more....a la KITT from Knight Rider.

well, that's just the thing.......

who's to say the information displayed on the single screen doesn't change depending on what driving mode the car is in?

I would imagine when you're in EAP or FSD, the info displayed will be different than if you're in complete control.

So when you're in a mode that is designed for the driver to eventually pay little or no attention to the driving of the vehicle the display is going to change to take up a large amount of real estate to display the autopilot interface? That doesn't make sense at all. That's when you'd want to be able to use the screen for non-driving functions.

To be clear, I'm 99% sure I'll buy the car even if it looks exactly the same as the car (exterior and interior) at the reveal, assuming it met it's other stated minimum specs. I'm just interested in this question from a UI design and engineering tradeoff perspective. The currently public info (1 screen, no HUD, all cars have AP hardware) doesn't seem to make sense to me from a tradeoff perspective. The other info out there about real steering controls, looking like a spaceship, hiring HUD engineers, etc. just adds fuel to the fire.

Compare it to the other big tradeoff on the 3: Small trunk opening vs. liftback like the S. Some discussion has been about that, but the tradeoff there is more clear. More rear passenger room and headroom, easier robot access to interior, and striking design element vs. larger trunk opening. If I could personally choose an option I would probably go with liftback, but I understand the tradeoff and why they made the decision they did.

I don't and I won't understand not having a 2nd screen for a $50 cost adder until the HUD shoe drops or there is some other explanation from the company. I'd still buy the car, but I still won't understand the decision.

So when you're in a mode that is designed for the driver to eventually pay little or no attention to the driving of the vehicle the display is going to change to take up a large amount of real estate to display the autopilot interface? That doesn't make sense at all. That's when you'd want to be able to use the screen for non-driving functions.

To be clear, I'm 99% sure I'll buy the car even if it looks exactly the same as the car (exterior and interior) at the reveal, assuming it met it's other stated minimum specs. I'm just interested in this question from a UI design and engineering tradeoff perspective. The currently public info (1 screen, no HUD, all cars have AP hardware) doesn't seem to make sense to me from a tradeoff perspective. The other info out there about real steering controls, looking like a spaceship, hiring HUD engineers, etc. just adds fuel to the fire.

Compare it to the other big tradeoff on the 3: Small trunk opening vs. liftback like the S. Some discussion has been about that, but the tradeoff there is more clear. More rear passenger room and headroom, easier robot access to interior, and striking design element vs. larger trunk opening. If I could personally choose an option I would probably go with liftback, but I understand the tradeoff and why they made the decision they did.

I don't and I won't understand not having a 2nd screen for a $50 cost adder until the HUD shoe drops or there is some other explanation from the company. I'd still buy the car, but I still won't understand the decision.

*shrug* I just post here. No one tells me anything.

• Funny
Reactions: dsvick
Depends on final placement. It could be "and a bit less down" or "a bit more down".
Yes, he did not talk about how much/little you have to move your eyes, but as long as the screen is not obscuring the view through the windshield it will have to be "to the right and down". If it is more or less eye movement will depend on the final placement of the screen - as you said. If it will be integrated in the dashboard (as I think it will), it will have to be just as much down as to an IC, and to the right in addition. If it is placed as on the prototype it may be less down.

Yes, he did not talk about how much/little you have to move your eyes, but as long as the screen is not obscuring the view through the windshield it will have to be "to the right and down". If it is more or less eye movement will depend on the final placement of the screen - as you said. If it will be integrated in the dashboard (as I think it will), it will have to be just as much down as to an IC, and to the right in addition. If it is placed as on the prototype it may be less down.

I still think the placement will be a hybrid between current Audis the current Civic. integrated, but high on the center of the dash, and oriented/angled slightly towards the driver's seat.

But wouldn't you want nav on all the time, especially in EAP? I can see FSD needing fewer displays, but EAP is what's shipping with the car and that's going to require the most (read: all) displays. We're still a long ways off from FSD to the point where we can turn off our informational displays. And even in such a case, I would still always want nav on to make sure my car isn't taking me to a shipping container where I'd spend the next couple weeks out at sea.

I don't understand the issue. Just like today, in EAP the autopilot display largely replaces the speedometer and energy usage display, because they aren't important when autopilot is running (you don't control either of those things anyway).

I went back and watched the self driving demo on the Tesla site again:

Tesla Self-Driving Demonstration

I think that middle screen "middle range medium camera" is a big clue as to what is coming. Obviously in reverse it would switch to a rear view camera. Of course, the big question would be to see that view on the main screen- which seems like it would be little challenge or expense at all- or on a HUD much like a "fighter plane" view. I guessed quite a while back that the HUD is what they were doing, but I'm not sure if it is only the direction eventually or we will actually see it on release.

Another point, as expressed by people in this and other threads, is some people (like me) would LOVE a high tech looking HUD like this and it would increase confidence in autopilot as you could "see" in a sense what the car is seeing (or not seeing LOL!) in real time. However, to others this might be incredibly distracting or unwanted, and just projecting it on the main screen much like that middle range medium camera would be preferred. This doesn't eliminate speed and battery range still being projected in front of you for center screen haters. Obviously you switch to radio, A/C, etc. controls with the touch of the screen.

Why oh why can't Tesla be more leaky with information? :( :eek: :p

There are a few things that people forget.
We are either sitting on the left side of the car or right side of the car, and not in the middle. So our line of sight in city driving is not always directly ahead of the driver.
And people just assume that center screen would require you to take your eyes further away from the road than traditional instrument panel, and my conclusion is that this is not true.

0LzIIJz.jpg

I believe the Left Upper Corner of the center screen is closer to your line of sight during city driving than traditional instrument panel.

And I don't know about you, I look at the center mirror and side mirrors way more often when I drive than my instrument panel and center/navigation screen, and they are way off the line of sight. I don't feel any less safe while checking my mirrors.

So instead of writing it off, you should test drive what Tesla has to offer for a single screen design before making your decision.

I will certainly try to at least sit in one before I finalize my order.
But looking at your picture shows me that a properly implemented HUD like the one shown would still be the best possible option. And I didn't say that I had given up hope yet that Tesla would offer one - perhaps at least as an optional extra.

And concerning the mirrors: no, I hardly ever use them, except when going along the Autobahn and trying to overtake, or when parking in reverse, where I use the automatically lowering passenger side mirror in order to not scrape my tires/rims on the curbs.

No, that was an example of a truck driver failing to yield, a Tesla driver not paying attention, an ADAS system working exactly as it was designed (which wasn't for cross traffic), etc.

While it was sunny and he was travelling East so the sun wasn't a factor.

Thanks for the info, this the first I had heard about this. Over here, every report I read stated that the low standing sun was a major factor / cause why the AP didn't brake the car, as it mistook the top of the truck trailer for a roadsign under said lighting conditions.
Of course the truck driver is also very much to blame for the accident as he didn't yield, but I wasn't trying to put blame on anyone, just reacting to the other poster saying that Tesla would have thought about the "driving into the sun scenario".
Thanks again for the clarification.

Perhaps "line-of-sight" HUD/aux display/status indicators/etc. will only be part of the EAP package, since normal driving doesn't involve real time safety related data. After watching videos of several Tesla "autopilot" near misses, I'm not betting my life on it without being able to monitor it real time without looking away from the road.

Reactions: tsla007
In my wife's Honda it displays whether or not it is detecting a car ahead, and whether or not it currently has a lock on the lane lines (plus the follow distance setting and speed setting). That's it.

Something similar to this:

pic_display_09.jpg
After seeing that in all its artistic beauty :p... would you be in the camp of people who believe they need an entirely separate display just for this?

Reactions: shrspeedblade
In my wife's Honda it displays whether or not it is detecting a car ahead, and whether or not it currently has a lock on the lane lines (plus the follow distance setting and speed setting). That's it.

Something similar to this:

pic_display_09.jpg
......I think I played that video game in the early 80s, I just can't remember what it's called! :D
I think it's Space Invaders. That last guy is always the hardest to get.

Customers have this particular problem of there being so many.
Tesla has and will have for some time to come no problem finding replacement customers for those disgruntled few.
I fully expect Model 3 to be VERY basic and quite quirky in design for this sole reason. It will still sell like hotcakes and tesla will struggle to produce more and more.
After considerable time there will be upgrades, but initial car will be 'basic'.

I am fine with it. Just take my money already!

It doesn't seem like only a "few" people have concerns with the 3's possible interior.

It's also an interesting theory that if Tesla loses 3 reservations from a group of people that are likely much bigger "Tesla fans" than the general population, that they'll have no problem replacing said "Tesla fans" with non-Tesla fans despite the possible interior issue still existing.