Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been tons of threads on this after the first reveal event. It's legal. It will be fine. It's being done with Autonomous driving in mind.

I agree completely. In my mind, at best I could see a HUD as an option, but I fully expect only one screen with critical information portrayed on the left side of the screen. I drive a Prius right now, and the transition to a center screen was not difficult. Once autonomous driving takes hold, a traditional binnacle will seem outdated.

Reactions: arnis
Its so obvious there will be a HUD..

Actually, it is becoming more and more obvious that there will be no HUD.

Elon said that there will be no "bells and whistles" in Model 3, and the final production car will be "pretty close" to the prototypes that we saw.
And the "one screen" statement also makes it clear - as HUD would in effect be a second screen.

What if instead of a HUD here is a realy advanced steering wheel that perhaps has displays that extend from it. When in autonomous mode, the entire screen assembly could retract reducing clutter.

I know its an added expense and complexity, but Elon is trying to make a good car, not the cheapest thing possible with an electric motor. This would be arguably easier than some HUD technology that hasn't been proven as well as be in line with the "like a spaceship" comment made last year. Elon did also mention close to the end of the call that certain aspects of the car will be "a lot better" than last years prototypes although the car will be generally similar. If the steering wheel will simply be another similar steering wheel, what other surprises could there be?

Thoughts?

What if instead of a HUD here is a realy advanced steering wheel that perhaps has displays that extend from it. When in autonomous mode, the entire screen assembly could retract reducing clutter.

I know its an added expense and complexity, but Elon is trying to make a good car, not the cheapest thing possible with an electric motor. This would be arguably easier than some HUD technology that hasn't been proven as well as be in line with the "like a spaceship" comment made last year. Elon did also mention close to the end of the call that certain aspects of the car will be "a lot better" than last years prototypes although the car will be generally similar. If the steering wheel will simply be another similar steering wheel, what other surprises could there be?

Thoughts?
Good god, I hope not.
A screen that extends from the steering wheel would end up right in your face, how is that, in any way, convenient? Not to mention the change in focal point from looking out the windshield to then having to look at screen that is right in front of you. Also, how would a screen that folds up in and out of the steering wheel possibly be less expensive than a HUD, which is, essentially, a projector?

Reactions: dragonxt
Except that this was mentioned in connection with cost savings. They may get the HUD cheap, but not cheaper then a screen. And he also mentioned one computer vs. two (on one each screen) on the S+X.

I can certainly get behind the idea of having one computer vs. two because there is really no reason to have two anymore. Not with the latest NVidia chips like the K1/X1. Having two computers also adds a lot of complexity.

I agree completely. In my mind, at best I could see a HUD as an option, but I fully expect only one screen with critical information portrayed on the left side of the screen. I drive a Prius right now, and the transition to a center screen was not difficult. Once autonomous driving takes hold, a traditional binnacle will seem outdated.

The Prius still has screen up close to your vision where the speed is.

What I would find really annoying is navigation.

As to autonomous driving that's still years, and years away. Not only that, but it's going to take people themselves a while to transition over to it.

Now none of this likely matters because by the time I get a Model 3 they'll have the HUD on contact lenses.