Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just check the app once a day in the morning now. But happy to report some movement!

1717863047383.png

EDD narrowed to a 10 day window towards end of month. Was Jun 30 - Aug 04 before this morning. Maybe the end of quarter push is real? Or more realistically my EDD will get pushed out even further.

Doesn't matter either way! I'm in zen mode. 😌

1717863114319.png

Question for those who third party financed: what do I need to bring to my delivery date? The credit union says they will mail the check to Tesla and provide me with a copy of the check and the tracking number. Is that all Tesla needs? I know this is a question for a service advisor, but they won't respond. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: bdudney665
I go back and forth. Half of me says they are too open and I see more brake rotor than wheel. The other half says it looks cool that way. One thing that would probably encourage me to keep them off is that it removes 4 lbs of unsprung weight. Might give me a couple hundredths in the 1/4 mile. ;)

I've never had any trouble measuring while loosening. I have a manual torque wrench that has a scale on it and the needle points to a number on the scale based on how far the arm bends. I did tighten a couple that were factory installed with my better torque wrench that was set to 129 lb/ft and the nuts turned substantially before it clicked. I probably got 1/8 of a turn or a little more before it clicked. Meaning they were loose.
Well, I’ve heard it’s not accurate. It matters, because folks keep stating Tesla doesn’t torque them down enough.
Here’s just one blurb I found on Reddit for what it’s worth.

IMG_2613.jpeg

Ordered on 4/25 and Edd got pushed from mid June to 7/22-8/12 wtf!

In NJ, anyone in similar situation?
i think it's only gonna get worst for us, at least NJ.
I'm in NY and ordered 45 minutes after it went live and still don't even have a vin. North East is getting no love at all. At this point I figure something has to be up because other areas of the country seem to be through the first few days to weeks of orders.

I understand it's not a line and logistics impact things but this feels and looks like it goes beyond just logistics unless there's something significant at play.
like i said, i stopped by Paramus Tesla on 06/07 hoping for some more details and updates. Guy didn't wanna look up my order, just sounded like standard speech he gives to all. said Honda is having issues with their transportation of new cars and therefor holding everyone else up.

Well, I’ve heard it’s not accurate. It matters, because folks keep stating Tesla doesn’t torque them down enough.

View attachment 1054725
So what's the conclusion with this then? To ensure that the lug nuts were tightened correctly from factory, one has to completely remove them and then tighten them again according to spec?

I understood you can’t check torque when loosening. Only tightening. ….
Do torque wrenches work accurately in reverse ?
the wrench it self will work in the lefty direction to give an accurate torque measurement that your torquing. This is only applicable to torquing a left hand thread...Lefty tighty reverse thread.

But the removal of a torques bolt in the backwards thread direction will NOT give the torquing applied during assembly. There are many factors to the effect the resistance/torue the wrench sees. In a normal uncorroded condition breakaway torque, will be less than original torque. In a ideal situation, rough swag 1/3 less. So saying one removal torqued a bolt and it was only XXft-lb isn't a direct correlation. It also take a fancy real time wrench to get the measurement. It is a indicator of how the torquing process was applied. Like much in engineering the seemingly simple can be quite complicated. All are dependent in materials used in both joints, locking mechincismm, lubricants, coarseness, supplemental finishes, coefficients of expansion and more. Not to mention user error adding angle and not holding correctly. It all an effort to achieve a desired clamp load. In Aluminum wheels with steel bolt to hold all together, Where Al expands further over temp then steel. Thus the old school recommendation to retorque your wheels after xxx miles. this is to re-torquing out any error form settling of a imperfect joint after expansion. Manufactures for critical joints like Tesla putting on wheels, usually use a automated machine that holds the wheel up, torques all luges evenly to the desired range. If Fremont isn't torquing wheels right, I am really worried about all the single point failure suspension joints. Its during rework or at the service center, or the shady guy in the middle of nowhere when you get flat to really be careful.

Always store your wrench at the lowest torque setting. Any torque needs near the top/bottom 20% of the range can't be trusted. When's the last time your home torque wrench was calibrated?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

I just realized, that's fairly easy to test since I know I torqued them all to 129 lb/ft. Just went out in the garage and you're right: when checking on the loosening method, the lug breaks free at around 80 to 85 lb/ft. But if I tighten one I had already tightened, they are still at 129 lb/ft: torque wrench clicks without the nut moving.

BUT... remember that I did test tightening a couple factory installed lugs and they moved a good bit before my torque wrench clicked so they were definitely under. By how much, I don't know. And while I tried two that I had tightened and they both broke free on loosening at about 80 to 85 lb/ft, there were a couple factory tightened ones that broke free at 60 lb/ft or a little under. Everything being relative, I'm pretty certain they were at least a little undertorqued since both the tightening and loosening method indicated they were looser than 129 lb/ft.

BTW, I'm assuming the spec is still 129 lb/ft for the new M3P like the older gen. I couldn't find anything specific to the 2024.

Same here. EDD keeps getting pushed back and no VIN. Verona, NY delivery location.
Not sure what’s going on, but I’m NY, ordered on release date, got a vin 2 weeks ago finally and I’m walking into delivery date week: Jun 10 - Jun 17. Just impatiently waiting for it to update and have me select a pick up date any moment this weekend. 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_9679.png
    IMG_9679.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 2
Not sure what’s going on, but I’m NY, ordered on release date, got a vin 2 weeks ago finally and I’m walking into delivery date week: Jun 10 - Jun 17. Just impatiently waiting for it to update and have me select a pick up date any moment this weekend. 🥲
I don't want to pee in your cornflakes but if it's anything like what happened to me, it's possible the EDD will just advance one day every day starting on the 11th. Mine advanced 1 day like that for a full week before I texted my SC and asked what was going on. Then they admitted my car was there and set up a delivery appointment outside of the app. Only then did it show up in the app.

I tell you, if I worked for Tesla, I'd make a LOT of changes to this whole process. There are a lot of confusing events including my SC texting me something and then getting an automated text from Tesla that contradicts that. Then being told "That's just an automated message. Ignore that."

I don't want to pee in your cornflakes but if it's anything like what happened to me, it's possible the EDD will just advance one day every day starting on the 11th. Mine advanced 1 day like that for a full week before I texted my SC and asked what was going on. Then they admitted my car was there and set up a delivery appointment outside of the app. Only then did it show up in the app.

I tell you, if I worked for Tesla, I'd make a LOT of changes to this whole process. There are a lot of confusing events including my SC texting me something and then getting an automated text from Tesla that contradicts that. Then being told "That's just an automated message. Ignore that

I tell you, if I worked for Tesla, I'd make a LOT of changes to this whole process. There are a lot of confusing events including my SC texting me something and then getting an automated text from Tesla that contradicts that. Then being told "That's just an automated message. Ignore that."
I actually got ahead of it and messaged my SA about potentially tracking the vehicle because I know with a VIN they can do that. They mentioned that the car is coming into a Tesla location by Monday and that Monday should be the earliest that I’m able to pick it up. So I’m going to get ahead of it Monday and reach out to them to see if I can go pick up as they stated. I’m not going to wait for a delivery update on the app like you stated. Thanks for the insight!

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
I actually got ahead of it and messaged my SA about potentially tracking the vehicle because I know with a VIN they can do that. They mentioned that the car is coming into a Tesla location by Monday and that Monday should be the earliest that I’m able to pick it up. So I’m going to get ahead of it Monday and reach out to them to see if I can go pick up as they stated. I’m not going to wait for a delivery update on the app like you stated. Thanks for the insight!
just got a random text from all my unanswered texts. saying my car in due in this Monday. can take delivery earliest Tuesday. app still cannot schedule delivery.

No progress on us getting more vehicles is starting to bum me out. Losing some of the excitement now. ;(

Taking part in a waiting room thread can be both exciting, and exhausting. One can only hold the anticipation so long before getting stressed out, especially with the fake EDD movements and lack of any sort of identifiable "line" / "its my turn now" mechanic.

The site owners probably wont like me saying this, but I would suggest that anyone who is getting frustrated / feeling the need to post about "why i cant haz vin" on a daily basis take a break from tesla stuff online all together (not just this thread, but take a 2 week break from all tesla related online stuff, here, facebook, stop looking at tesla youtube videos, etc etc etc).

After a few days of what is likely to feel like withdrawal symptoms, you will probably relax, then just be happy when your vin comes / not be as impacted about changing edd dates (because you wont be in the hype train of other people getting their cars, looking longingly at youtube videos etc).

Of course, thats just a suggestion, and I am not making it as a moderator.

I just realized, that's fairly easy to test since I know I torqued them all to 129 lb/ft. Just went out in the garage and you're right: when checking on the loosening method, the lug breaks free at around 80 to 85 lb/ft. But if I tighten one I had already tightened, they are still at 129 lb/ft: torque wrench clicks without the nut moving.

BUT... remember that I did test tightening a couple factory installed lugs and they moved a good bit before my torque wrench clicked so they were definitely under. By how much, I don't know. And while I tried two that I had tightened and they both broke free on loosening at about 80 to 85 lb/ft, there were a couple factory tightened ones that broke free at 60 lb/ft or a little under. Everything being relative, I'm pretty certain they were at least a little undertorqued since both the tightening and loosening method indicated they were looser than 129 lb/ft.

BTW, I'm assuming the spec is still 129 lb/ft for the new M3P like the older gen. I couldn't find anything specific to the 2024.
Put 100 miles on it and likely they will spin a gain when cold

Last edited: