Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically only keep cars for about 3-4 years and working at home I don't drive much, so a lease is the smart thing to do. I just can't get over the psychological hurdle of the car not being mine (even at the end of payments) and having to turn it in after say 3 years... and having nothing to show for it. Sure, you get something for it during the lease as you get a car to drive, but at the end, it's like you made all those payments just to rent a car. Anyway, it's my hangup and I know it doesn't make sense, but I do it anyway (buy instead of lease).

This one I may keep for a long time. Then again, I say that almost every time. 🤓

There's like a 5k loss looking at 21 M3Ps with 30k miles vs current cost unless you expect the price to keep dropping and the cost of the remaining two years from 3 to 5 years is about another 10-12k savings. You're paying a premium of about 15 to 17k to lease vs buy. You'd need to make a pretty crazy return to cover that and if your return is that high, you could just finance the whole thing and keep your cash invested and still be better off.

The only way it continues to work in your favor leasing is if the base model 3 price continues to drop and I'm pretty sure we're close to as low as it can go on price now.
Yeah I do think we are getting to the bottom of the pricing with how low the M3P is, I can see LR and RW dropping a decent amount tho which will prob roll over to the M3P in the next few years. Years 3-5 is definitely where you start to make some of the money back vs a lease and where it starts to make more sense. But I am just being really low on the numbers just incase these cars do drop by a decent amount. My calculations came out closer to a premium of 8k over 3 years if you lease vs buy and sell. Kind of made me ok with the idea of losing that with the potential to make some of it back in the market. but ya im being very aggressive with my estimates

Why would you ever want to own a severely depreciating asset?
It depreciates more slowly than the lease. At 3 years, the purchase is about 5k ahead of a lease. At 5 years it's 15 to 17k ahead and you're better off even if you took a loan for the car.

A lease with a buyout let's you split the difference and hedge your bet. Historic depreciation has been high due to dropping prices but we're getting awfully close to rock bottom prices now.

I typically only keep cars for about 3-4 years and working at home I don't drive much, so a lease is the smart thing to do. I just can't get over the psychological hurdle of the car not being mine (even at the end of payments) and having to turn it in after say 3 years... and having nothing to show for it. Sure, you get something for it during the lease as you get a car to drive, but at the end, it's like you made all those payments just to rent a car. Anyway, it's my hangup and I know it doesn't make sense, but I do it anyway (buy instead of lease).

This one I may keep for a long time. Then again, I say that almost every time. 🤓
I kinda feel the same way, which is why I was about to buy this M3P, on the way to tesla, i literally changed it from cash to lease lol. I just figured I would rather risk it, pay a little more and have that cash on me or in the market instead. So yeah, even though it makes sense to buy over lease for the most part, I think I will still lease if its only a difference of around 2k a year.

Yeah I do think we are getting to the bottom of the pricing with how low the M3P is, I can see LR and RW dropping a decent amount tho which will prob roll over to the M3P in the next few years. Years 3-5 is definitely where you start to make some of the money back vs a lease and where it starts to make more sense. But I am just being really low on the numbers just incase these cars do drop by a decent amount. My calculations came out closer to a premium of 8k over 3 years if you lease vs buy and sell. Kind of made me ok with the idea of losing that with the potential to make some of it back in the market. but ya im being very aggressive with my estimates
Yeah there's always a gamble. I think it will also depend if the 2 happens. That will prop up base model 3 prices. The other potential gotcha would be a substantial tech break through. Personally I plan to keep mine until it goes to my son in 8-9 years though, so own was a no brainer for me.

EVs is certainly the closest I've ever come to considering a lease though.

Let's be real here. It doesn't matter that much how you buy it, cars are the single most destructive thing to a persons net worth out there. If you lease with 3k down with all taxes and fees you pay $27,912 to rent a car for 3 years. That's still paying half the price of the car. Hardly a deal. Buying or leasing doesn't matter, it's still lighting a boat load of cash on fire basically, haha. If you're worried about depreciation, you're probably spending more than you should. I can afford it, am paying cash to avoid interest, tend to own my cars for 10 years, and I still am crying about the bill, LOL.

Yeah there's always a gamble. I think it will also depend if the 2 happens. That will prop up base model 3 prices. The other potential gotcha would be a substantial tech break through. Personally I plan to keep mine until it goes to my son in 8-9 years though, so own was a no brainer for me.

Yeah, over all though you are 100% right, if you buy and keep a car for more than 4 years you are going to be saving a ton. I leased my first m3p in 2020 because I thought there would be a battery breakthrough lol. Of course nothing happened and when it was time to get this new M3P I was about to pay cash because of how much I overpaid last time, but the battery thing got to me again lol. Won't be shocked if I made the wrong decision again, guess 6 years might still not be enough time for battery tech to really change, at least not yet

My M3P is home! There really isn’t anything to say that hasn’t been said at this point. A couple notes. Love the stealth gray. Even better in person. Coming from a 2021 LR the suspension is entirely different and much more akin to prior BMWs I’ve owned such as my 2016 340i xdrive msport with adaptive suspension. Basically what it should be on this kind of car. 0-60 is as everyone says it is. I was less impressed with 70+ acceleration. It didn’t feel a ton faster than my LR with acceleration boost. The kids love the rear screen and are already playing games on it. Turn signals and gear shift is going to be an adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    845.3 KB · Views: 4

I never lease, but I leased this one for both what you mentioned about tech breakthrough, which seems to happen quickly in the EV world, and for me also i don't want to keep it that long, and with a lease its always under warranty, and battery repairs etc I've read can be very costly. My current car is a 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport that I bought 1 year used, and I'm up to 135k miles on it. Being a high milage German car, of course I've had to do a fair amount of repairs, but at leats witht he bimmer I can do repairs myself or have my father in law (he's a mechanic) help.

I got “Scarlet” today in Raleigh NC. They said it was the first one delivered besides the Black one that an employee got yesterday.

The Hype is real for this car. Absolutely, absolutely real. Literally everything is better but the stupid buttons instead of the stalks. I will literally never get accustomed to the buttons. NEVER! Such a bone headed thing to do. That is all I will say about that for now.

My car has the steering wheel tilt to the right and it had one hood ding. They said they will schedule an appointment and fix the issues I found. It will be awhile before that appointment happens though. She said they have 102 cars being delivered on Saturday to that location that literally DOESN’T HAVE A SINGLE OPEN PARKING SPOT. I had to Uber there because parking is so bad.

Enough about that. The car is just so great all around. Suspension is better, stereo is better(yes it is boomy but I didn’t mind), sound insulation was MUCH BETTER, steering felt better, road noise was better, and yes even at 49% SOC with a semi cold battery the acceleration was better.

No numbers or Dragy results yet. That is what the track is for. I will do that on Saturday. Full 1/4 mile 100% stock and then maybe gutted on 18s. I am debating whether to lug the wheels down there or not.

I probably can’t run the new one against the old one this weekend. They declared the left lane for drag radials only. I can’t run two street cars side by side that day so I probably will just take the new one. I already have all of the data you could ever want for the old car at that track. I need to sell the old one sooner rather than later so I may just do that tomorrow.

I did one hit at 48% SOC with a cold battery and it lifted the front end so much it spun the front wheels. I have never experienced that in a Model 3 before. Model S Plaid? Yes, but not the model 3.

It will be interesting to see if front end traction is an issue at the track because of lift. May need to add ballast to the front or change the suspension setting.

So much more to come. I am busy adding all of my 3rd party equipment tonight so I probably can’t respond till later.

IMG_6520.jpeg
IMG_6590.jpeg
IMG_6518.jpeg
IMG_6596.jpeg

Yeah, over all though you are 100% right, if you buy and keep a car for more than 4 years you are going to be saving a ton. I leased my first m3p in 2020 because I thought there would be a battery breakthrough lol. Of course nothing happened and when it was time to get this new M3P I was about to pay cash because of how much I overpaid last time, but the battery thing got to me again lol. Won't be shocked if I made the wrong decision again, guess 6 years might still not be enough time for battery tech to really change, at least not yet
Obviously that's my gut feeling as well, but there is a larger handful of promising tech than I've seen in a while. That's also something where if I lose because of a breakthrough I feel like I still win because we get a break through though.

Same reason I'm not broken up about paying 12k for FSD on my wife's MYP that we got in November. The free 3 months we would have gotten means we effectively paid 4k for 1 month of FSD (lol oops). But I also expected the price to drop as it improved. It might have been faster than I expected but I'll take the 4k hit to see everyone better off and I still got it earlier.

Reactions: ATAG (ATAG)
I never lease, but I leased this one for both what you mentioned about tech breakthrough, which seems to happen quickly in the EV world, and for me also i don't want to keep it that long, and with a lease its always under warranty, and battery repairs etc I've read can be very costly. My current car is a 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport that I bought 1 year used, and I'm up to 135k miles on it. Being a high milage German car, of course I've had to do a fair amount of repairs, but at leats witht he bimmer I can do repairs myself or have my father in law (he's a mechanic) help.
Yeah its a good point, for the most part you should never have to service a tesla, ( the 3 years I had the car I didn't even have to change brake pads which I did twice on my s4 I leased before that) but yeah replacing the battery is something I never want to have to even consider so leasing at least takes away that part of the equation

Thing is, at lease miles per year, your warranty is going to last the whole 8 years and you get a massive savings if keeping a car 8 years. The rest of your points still stand though.

You can literally throw the car away after about 6 to 7 years and be better off buying than leasing. After 8 years you could get a fairly bad loan and throw it away when the warranty expires and still be better off than leases, but in reality you still have a car worth probably 10 to 15k.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgtauto
I got “Scarlet” today in Raleigh NC. They said it was the first one delivered besides the Black one that an employee got yesterday.

The Hype is real for this car. Absolutely, absolutely real. Literally everything is better but the stupid buttons instead of the stalks. I will literally never get accustomed to the buttons. NEVER! Such a bone headed thing to do. That is all I will say about that for now.

My car has the steering wheel tilt to the right and it had one hood ding. They said they will schedule an appointment and fix the issues I found. It will be awhile before that appointment happens though. She said they have 102 cars being delivered on Saturday to that location that literally DOESN’T HAVE A SINGLE OPEN PARKING SPOT. I had to Uber there because parking is so bad.

Enough about that. The car is just so great all around. Suspension is better, stereo is better(yes it is boomy but I didn’t mind), sound insulation was MUCH BETTER, steering felt better, road noise was better, and yes even at 49% SOC with a semi cold battery the acceleration was better.

No numbers or Dragy results yet. That is what the track is for. I will do that on Saturday. Full 1/4 mile 100% stock and then maybe gutted on 18s. I am debating whether to lug the wheels down there or not.

I probably can’t run the new one against the old one this weekend. They declared the left lane for drag radials only. I can’t run two street cars side by side that day so I probably will just take the new one. I already have all of the data you could ever want for the old car at that track. I need to sell the old one sooner rather than later so I may just do that tomorrow.

I did one hit at 48% SOC with a cold battery and it lifted the front end so much it spun the front wheels. I have never experienced that in a Model 3 before. Model S Plaid? Yes, but not the model 3.

It will be interesting to see if front end traction is an issue at the track because of lift. May need to add ballast to the front or change the suspension setting.

So much more to come. I am busy adding all of my 3rd party equipment tonight so I probably can’t respond till later.

View attachment 1056355View attachment 1056356View attachment 1056357View attachment 1056358
Looks great!!!!

Thats my spec, UR/Black....

Can you take some picture of the inside? What color is the headliner/pillar etc? I have a feeling it's a light color... I will miss that the most about my Msport 335, it has black headliner / pillars. Love the all black interior look.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Efficiency is atrocious for the new. Just look at the differences here. I am doing efficiency testing tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the new one close to what my 2022 Model 3 Performance is doing right now.

Just look at the difference here. Guess which one is which.

IMG_6577.jpeg
IMG_6500.jpeg

Reactions: arkhos
Efficiency is atrocious for the new. Just look at the differences here. I am doing efficiency testing tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the new one close to what my 2022 Model 3 Performance is doing right now.

Just look at the difference here. Guess which one is which.

View attachment 1056365View attachment 1056366
lol my old m3p was as bad as 400 Wh/mi. lead foot