Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fuzzy recollection is that in the early days of M3P the "first delivered" vehicles didn't have some "upgrades" that came soon after. Some buyers upgraded (for a fee) to the new bits, some didn't. The ones that didn't started calling it "stealth" as (IMO) a coping mechanism. Some "didn't want" the "upgrades" at any price, so that played into the naming/talk. Kind of like how people talk about their cars as "unicorns" when they are rare even if it means the "characteristics that are unique" are kind of awful.

That isnt what the "Stealth" was.

The Stealth was when Tesla made some model 3 Performance cars without some of the standard features for the car. No one upgraded a "Stealth" through Tesla.

The model 3 performance came standard with something called the performance upgrade package (this was a standard feature with that version of the car and was not purchasable after delivery). To move vehicles, Tesla at one point offered Model 3 LR vehicles with the software switch turned on for the performance version. These cars had the acceleration of the performance but not the performance upgrade packages (which included wheels and tires, brakes, spoiler etc).

In effect these were model 3 LR vehicles without the performance upgrade package, with no way to physically tell them from model 3 LR vehicles even though they had the acceleration of model 3 Performance vehicles. Owners started calling them "Stealth" because they looked like Model 3 LR but were faster.

Had nothing to do with bad characteristics, or some people not purchasing upgrades that were available or anything of the sort.

First month M3P here.

Car came with 20" rims, "lower" suspension (I can't recall if this was real or BS), and better brakes. The cars did not come with their spoiler or badges; those were installed later.

The rims, suspension, and brakes were part of a "performance upgrade package" and at one point you could order a P without the PUP. So you basically got a LR w/the power for the P and 18" rims. It was somewhere between 3 and 5k cheaper.

I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.
This is basically it, with fewer words but just as accurate as what I just typed. I am fairly sure the suspension was a little lower on those early model 3 Ps (like mine, which is a 2018 I still have). For full disclosure, my 2018 model 3P does have the performance upgrade package, so mine isnt a stealth.

When they offered the stealth back then, it was absolutely the best deal Tesla had at that time. They were only 2k more than Model 3 LR, had the speed of the performance but came with 18 or 19inch wheels (so better range less chance of rim damage than the 20s). At a time when the performance 3 was like 6-10k more than the LR, the Stealths were a great deal.

Last edited:
That isnt what the "Stealth" was.

The Stealth was when Tesla made some model 3 Performance cars without some of the standard features for the car. No one upgraded a "Stealth" through Tesla.

The model 3 performance came standard with something called the performance upgrade package (this was a standard feature with that version of the car and was not purchasable after delivery). To move vehicles, Tesla at one point offered Model 3 LR vehicles with the software switch turned on for the performance version. These cars had the acceleration of the performance but not the performance upgrade packages (which included wheels and tires, brakes, spoiler etc).

In effect these were model 3 LR vehicles without the performance upgrade package, with no way to physically tell them from model 3 LR vehicles even though they had the acceleration of model 3 Performance vehicles. Owners started calling them "Stealth" because they looked like Model 3 LR but were faster.

Had nothing to do with bad characteristics, or some people not purchasing upgrades that were available or anything of the sort.

This is basically it, with fewer words but just as accurate as what I just typed. I am fairly sure the suspension was a little lower on those early model 3 Ps (like mine, which is a 2018 I still have). For full disclosure, my 2018 model 3P does have the performance upgrade package, so mine isnt a stealth.

When they offered the stealth back then, it was absolutely the best deal Tesla had at that time. They were only 2k more than Model 3 LR, had the speed of the performance but came with 18 or 19inch wheels (so better range less chance of rim damage than the 20s). At a time when the performance 3 was like 6-10k more than the LR, the Stealths were a great deal.
Yup! Although at that time the 3s were muchhh more than they are today. It's crazy how much this new generation costs compared to the originals, especially now with real performance add-ons.

I will say, I was jealous of the rims. I picked up in September of 2018 and all 4 had different degrees of bends by November, when I went to put snows on. And I work hard to avoid potholes. Sold them to a refurbisher and bought cheap tire rack winters in 19". Loved those so much, I kept them and they were regulated to winter duty when I bought some TSportline rims year or so back.

Can't believe it's been almost 6 years and 113k miles!

Can’t imagine how many red orders they got that made them up the price 1k. Conf email for me was 11:20am ct
I was one of those who struck while the iron was hot. I got my order in this morning at 12:00AM EST for the Ultra Red/Black M3P. With this price hike, UR will be the least popular color M3P, which is a bonus for those of us who want a little exclusivity. ;)

But they also dropped the black color option and white seats from $1,500 to $1,000 also. So now, Tesla nets another $500 from those who order the Stealth Grey/White combo vs just last night ($54,490 vs $54,990).

Yup! Although at that time the 3s were muchhh more than they are today. It's crazy how much this new generation costs compared to the originals, especially now with real performance add-ons.

I will say, I was jealous of the rims. I picked up in September of 2018 and all 4 had different degrees of bends by November, when I went to put snows on. And I work hard to avoid potholes. Sold them to a refurbisher and bought cheap tire rack winters in 19". Loved those so much, I kept them and they were regulated to winter duty when I bought some TSportline rims year or so back.

Can't believe it's been almost 6 years and 113k miles!
Thanks for the heads up! What size wheels did you ultimately get from TSportline? I am worried being in the Boston area for the 20 inch wheels. I know they should be stronger now that they are forged but road hazard is a fact of life. I have a 2021 M3 LR now with the 19 inch sport wheels and those things are still fine after 3 winters. 19 inch wheels seem to be the largest size the works safely with OEM tire sizes. I am sure I could go with high profile aftermarket tires to add back in some cushion if I want to keep the OEM wheels later on.

Editing my order now allows me to get the red with the credit, so were grandfathered in to our order pricing and can switch?

I would be careful with that. On the previous purchase agreements, it was specifically spelled out that changing your order could be subject to current pricing. No idea if they follow through with that, but I would definitely be careful.

Sorry to nitpick, but this is not entirely accurate. Stealth's sold did in fact come with physical dual motor badging with the red underline on them on the rear, indicating they were a "Performance", as well as the red underline in the software screen which also showed they were a P from a software standpoint, (though yes they were lacking all the features of PUP and lowered suspension). This was basically 2017/2018 era when the LR and P had essentially identical battery/inverter/980 motor. Then around April 2019, Tesla changed the inverters for the LR to be cheaper (less expensive mosfets) and thus incapable of P level Performance because of unable to handle the amperage. Stealths were no more, with having about 2 or 3 periods of time they were sold within a small window of time to push inventory out as quickly as possible on a few occasions prior to that.

That being said, there were a small number of Performance 3's that were sold with no badges altogether, during production hell. I believe customers were given the option to come back to the dealership to get the badge put on at their request or just leave them as is. Though rare, I'm sure there's still a few of those out there.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and Dayreg
Sorry to nitpick, but this is not entirely accurate. Stealth's sold did in fact come with physical dual motor badging with the red underline on them on the rear, indicating they were a "Performance", as well as the red underline in the software screen which also showed they were a P from a software standpoint, (though yes they were lacking all the features of PUP and lowered suspension). This was basically 2017/2018 era when the LR and P had essentially identical battery/inverter/980 motor. Then around April 2019, Tesla changed the inverters for the LR to be cheaper (less expensive mosfets) and thus incapable of P level Performance because of unable to handle the amperage. Stealths were no more, with having about 2 or 3 periods of time they were sold within a small window of time to push inventory out as quickly as possible on a few occasions prior to that.

That being said, there were a small number of Performance 3's that were sold with no badges altogether, during production hell. I believe customers were given the option to come back to the dealership to get the badge put on at their request or just leave them as is. Though rare, I'm sure there's still a few of those out there.
Yeah they had the red underline in the software.

I always completely ignore vehicle external badging as it relates to telling what a car is, because that can be and often is faked. As for "sold with no badges" that was at least every model 3 Performance sold in 2018 (mine was picked up the beginning of december 2018 and had no badge). They didnt give me a badge for it until mid 2019. I never put it on, its still in my tool box in my garage.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
My fuzzy recollection is that in the early days of M3P the "first delivered" vehicles didn't have some "upgrades" that came soon after. Some buyers upgraded (for a fee) to the new bits, some didn't. The ones that didn't started calling it "stealth" as (IMO) a coping mechanism. Some "didn't want" the "upgrades" at any price, so that played into the naming/talk. Kind of like how people talk about their cars as "unicorns" when they are rare even if it means the "characteristics that are unique" are kind of awful.

Lol, I have a 2020 stealth. It was only $2,000 more than a regular long range. People bought it for the savings and to get away from the 20in wheels with summer only tires. I am in the northeast. I think the rumor was they ran out of wheels or brakes for a small run in 2020 and produced a few more performance stealths. Most are 2018. It was not an on the menu option in 2020. It was just if an advisor found one in stock in your area for you.

It looks like a long range but has the performance motor, track mode and badging line. Mine came with the badge.

Last edited:

I always completely ignore vehicle external badging as it relates to telling what a car is, because that can be and often is faked. As for "sold with no badges" that was at least every model 3 Performance sold in 2018 (mine was picked up the beginning of december 2018 and had no badge). They didnt give me a badge for it until mid 2019. I never put it on, its still in my tool box in my garage.

True, my DM 3 is semi-faked because it's basically a Stealth Performance through the Ghost mod. 😆:cool:.

Wanting to get into the new M3P now I'm curious how much my converted 2018 DM -> Stealth P could go for above the normal DM prices. About to hit 99k so probably mid 20's at most with the right buyer if I'm patient.

Didn't realize all the 2018's came without the badge installed but that checks out given how hectic things were with them at the time.

Wanting to get into the new M3P now I'm curious how much my converted 2018 DM -> Stealth P could go for above the normal DM prices. About to hit 99k so probably mid 20's at most with the right buyer if I'm patient.

I know this is a somewhat sidebar conversation but on this topic I think you would have to be VERY patient, and wait for the right buyer. I would think you would have a bunch of issues even convincing most buyers of what your car actually is.

Every tesla forum / website will tell a prospective buyer "if you want to know if its a performance model 3, look in the software for the red underline, no underline, its not a performance". I know what the "ghost mod" is, but I dont know if it adds the red underline to the screen on the Tesla software. If it doesnt, I think it will be very hard for you to sell that car for more than a long range model 3, even if it is faster (unless you get the right buyer who is wiling to pay extra).

I know this is a somewhat sidebar conversation but on this topic I think you would have to be VERY patient, and wait for the right buyer. I would think you would have a bunch of issues even convincing most buyers of what your car actually is.

Every tesla forum / website will tell a prospective buyer "if you want to know if its a performance model 3, look in the software for the red underline, no underline, its not a performance". I know what the "ghost mod" is, but I dont know if it adds the red underline to the screen on the Tesla software. If it doesnt, I think it will be very hard for you to sell that car for more than a long range model 3, even if it is faster (unless you get the right buyer who is wiling to pay extra).

I think you're probably right. And in that regard, I'd try to go the route of places like Craigslist or Autotrader so I can add more clear details in the listing / title. I think the best odd's of proving the car is what I say it is would just be to let people take it for a spin, and maybe even let a Dragy result do the talking. Definitely would require someone who understands it. Otherwise, maybe just selling the Ghost mod kit on it's own might render better results.

Either way, excited about getting into a Highland M3P and it fits more or less perfectly to what I've been waiting to upgrade to for years.

Yeah I still remember how weird that was. Took almost a year to get a spoiler and badge. I was very worried about the longevity if it took that long to make a simple badge, what else did they mess up? But hey, those concerns ended up being unfounded!

Reactions: jjrandorin
What's keeping you from ordering?
I'm in this boat still.

I ordered (Blue/White), but am not sure I'll follow through.

My 2018 has 113k on it, but still is going strong. It needs new suspension and aftermarket ventilated seats if kept. Otherwise, the only thing I feel I am really missing daily is a heated steering wheel, more supportive seats, better Bluetooth, and a heat pump. Which are of course big upgrades, but none life changing.

But I have to give up sonar and turn stalks, free connectivity, and most critically, FUSC and FSD (that was virtually never used). Knowing they may transfer at some point in the future makes it too hard to commit....

But knowing Tesla pricing games, I took the $250 gamble to not get caught in a pricing game. If the time comes to finalize and there is not FUSC transfer, who knows!