Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great point! This is why it's been reiterated repeatedly in this thread and other waiting room threads that EDDs mean absolutely zilch until a VIN is assigned. This has been emphasized many times by people who've gone through long wait times after placing an order. That said, I like the connection you're making, because I do liken the estimated delivery dates as something akin to the two examples you mentioned. Similarly, Tesla has to give some kind of estimate, even if it has no actual bearing on when one will actually receive their car.

Apparently it means nothing even after you are assigned a VIN, your car is sitting on the lot at your delivery location, and you've received your delivery day!

My only guess at this point is that the only firmware they have for the M3P has such a safety problem related to FSD that they are forced to fix it rather than release another vehicle without FSD like the Cybertruck. It's working on the SR and LR refreshed Model 3 so maybe it has to do with some unique features of the M3P. For example, the throttle map didn't account for "insane" mode and it takes off dangerously fast. Or the brakes or steering having a similar calibration issue.

what a clusterF***

LR People shouldn't be able to skip the Performance line.
if you ain't an OG Performance buyer, get on line like everyone else, or keep your LR.
If they come off the same production lines we're still going to be waiting for them to make it either way. Either we wait for them to run an LR or SR run for longer to keep up with the demand or they switch sooner and make extra M3Ps instead. I get that it's frustrating since I've been waiting for the new M3P since October of last year but just couldn't place an order, but it likely isn't having a meaningful impact on our orders.

Apparently it means nothing even after you are assigned a VIN, your car is sitting on the lot at your delivery location, and you've received your delivery day!
I don't blame you for feeling that way at all either. Still, a VIN at least signals that delivery is coming, more so than the EDDs do. This is just bizarre with this delay happening due to a firmware.

Reactions: jiren
Great point! This is why it's been reiterated repeatedly in this thread and other waiting room threads that EDDs mean absolutely zilch until a VIN is assigned. This has been emphasized many times by people who've gone through long wait times after placing an order. That said, I like the connection you're making, because I do liken the estimated delivery dates as something akin to the two examples you mentioned. Similarly, Tesla has to give some kind of estimate, even if it has no actual bearing on when one will actually receive their car.
at this point having a vin pretty much means nothing if the actual delivery date is yo-yoing. the only difference now if your delivery date gets pushed back a few days constantly every couple of days.

but i get for this car there are other things causing such delays.

Reactions: eeeric
at this point having a vin pretty much means nothing if the actual delivery date is yo-yoing. the only difference now if your delivery date gets pushed back a few days constantly every couple of days.

but i get for this car there are other things causing such delays.
Totally fair point. So, put this way then: with EDDs, you don't have SA's contacting you to schedule a delivery date. But once you get a VIN, the tasks become more pertinent to complete, and thus, Tesla becomes more proactive with communications and we start receiving more messages, to the point where we get requested to schedule a delivery date.

Point is, there is a lot more OFFICIAL action that happens after VINs are assigned, compared to the endless comparisons, speculations, repeatedly checking our app, and FUD that people tend to resort to before the VIN, with EDDs changing, or not changing.

Reactions: jiren
1716575460365.png

Agree the update itself is likely 30 minutes. But I think the real delay is Tesla creating the actual software build. Unless there's problems with the install.
I got to sit in my car yesterday and saw there were a few active alerts about Firmware mismatches between the "Vehicle Gateway" and the touchscreen, as well as the Telematics Control Unit mismatching with the vehicle. The alerts all mentioned something that it may have been caused by an unsuccessful or incomplete update. So maybe there's some issue applying the "30 minute update" but it might also be that it just doesn't exist yet. And, of course, the errors I saw might have been specific to my specific vehicle, and not indicating everyone's having those issues.
Does anyone else find this odd given the LR and SR are just fine? I’m calling Bshit on firmware for P vs other trims. It’s the same fing car with the same software. Blows my mind how much bs Tesla can conjure up and get away with lol.

Agree the update itself is likely 30 minutes. But I think the real delay is Tesla creating the actual software build. Unless there's problems with the install.
I got to sit in my car yesterday and saw there were a few active alerts about Firmware mismatches between the "Vehicle Gateway" and the touchscreen, as well as the Telematics Control Unit mismatching with the vehicle. The alerts all mentioned something that it may have been caused by an unsuccessful or incomplete update. So maybe there's some issue applying the "30 minute update" but it might also be that it just doesn't exist yet. And, of course, the errors I saw might have been specific to my specific vehicle, and not indicating everyone's having those issues.
the delivery center let you actually sit in your assigned vin?