Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't answer your question but have the same concern about the wheels, tires and comfort. There is also the issue of different size tires front and rear, and of wheel damage even from smaller road imperfections. In upstate NY there is the cold weather and some snow to deal with. I have a first day order for a performance that I am now considering changing to the LR. The 40+ mile extra range would be nice. It still is a fast car and quicker than most. I have researched changing M3P wheels and tires to 18" all season. The cost would be about $3000 and maybe $2000 back from selling current tires/wheels. There would still be that thrill of a driving the Performance and even slightly quicker acceleration from what I have read. Plus never looking back and saying I should have gotten a Performance.

It's a dilemma I haven't resolved. 1) M3P as is. 2) Performance with tire/wheel change. 3) A Long Range. Choice 3) makes the most sense to me but then there is the psychological side.
Keep in mind that the range difference between LR and M3P is almost all based on wheel size. Change the M3P to 18s and it'll get back much of that 40+ mile difference. Could have the best of both worlds.

They must not be playing games with Q2 deliveries - my original car from my 4/23 order - I denied delivery because I wasn't sure I really need the m3p (I bought a main vehicle since 4/23). So my order went on "hold" and that hold was going to be removed 6/22 or I lose the $250 order fee. They basically give you 12-14 days to decide... I said what the heck, let me just take the order off hold - did that yesterday. I already have a vin assigned with planned delivery for 6/27-6/30. Wild.

Last edited:
I think as long as the “earlier delivery available” option is there for you in the app, you can switch and in my experience any time before you sing any VIN specific documents you are good.

Been riding in my LR AWD-E this week after making the same decision to go LR instead of Perf. Super happy with it. Plenty of power. The carbon fiber spoiler is now available in the shop, so i will add that for some looks.

Unless the performance and/or track capabilities are a priority for you, i think the LR is a winner in its own right.

Reactions: Jakub1
Just got my VIN this morning. Still considering between LR and performance. Is it possible to switch LR after getting the VIN?
The main concern is about the ride quality and not sure if the performance will be easy to scrape since the it's pretty low and SF bay area roads are terrible.
You can refuse it and then switch to an LR. I refused my M3P due to some build issues and was told the next refusal would result in losing my deposit and I would have to submit a new order.

I bet you would get a VIN in less than 48 hours when you order a LR

Reactions: dale_cooper
I bet you would get a VIN in less than 48 hours when you order a LR

For me it was immediate as the LR shows up as a “accept earlier delivery”, so i picked the car i wanted as part of the switch and the VIN was assigned right then. We have plenty to choose from because apparently they build some and sent them to the delivery centers before the rebate news went public. I had even walked by the car i eventually bought two days prior thinking there was no reason to consider a LR. Is still funny to think about.

Reactions: Raptor911
my order went on "hold" and that hold was going to be removed 6/22
So in answering my own earlier post, I removed hold 6/19 and got an EDD this afternoon of 7/2-7/30 which is okay if it holds. The car we’re replacing will go to family so the timing doesn’t have to be specific.
Unless the performance and/or track capabilities are a priority for you, i think the LR is a winner in its own right.
Same thought process in my head but the M3P is such a great value proposition.

Reactions: arkhos
Congrats! I don’t even have an EDD

I just want to thank everyone for their insight and advice along the way! In particular, for clueing me in to the fact that there are now performance demo models available. I was able to snag one this morning that was already “in transit” to my designated pickup location. The vehicle was not actually used as a demo, but was being sent to the AZ showroom to *become* a demo, so I think I may have gotten lucky in terms of any “demo abuse” (i.e., excessive farting, etc.). It’s noted as “15 miles” in my finance documents, so I assume it’s never been driven by customers, but only on the test track in Fremont.

My latest EDD was 6/21 to 6/30, so I was hoping to get a VIN soon anyhow, but who knows if this would have been further delayed until July (or more), so I figured why not take the risk? I sold my car about a week ago and have been borrowing one (this was due to the lowball, expired Tesla trade-in amount that many of us have experienced), so I’m really just happy to have a car to drive (more relieved than excited, to be honest). My last M3P (a 2023) came with some serious damage (needed a new front bumper and a wheel) all from the delivery truck unloading, so even if there are small issues with the demo model, then I can get them worked out by the service center.

I’m not one to gripe about panel gaps and those sorts of issues, as they don’t bother me. I only care about issues that will *later* become noticeable when I sell/trade-in (dents, paint damage, curb rash). This is what people tend to scrutinize. I won't be wrapping, PPF-ing, tinting, or anything. This car will stay bone stock with the clear windows and summer tires all year long. I'm getting too old to customize. I spent around 30 years customizing cars (full hydraulics, air suspension, coilovers, lowering springs, custom subframe welding, engine builds, exhaust, stereo, among other things). I ordered this car (as well as my 2023) because I think it's perfectly tuned and designed as-is. I know, I'm weird, right?

My original order date was 4/27 (SG/W) and delivery is in Scottsdale (PHX, AZ area). I was able to schedule delivery for this Sunday, 6/23, which was great. I’ll post updates soon. Let's hope it's acceptable. 😊