Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you even see at night with 15 or did you have to roll down the windows ? You're basically just a step away from "limo black."
I have 5% all around on the Y I’m gonna trade in, while you can still see out at night, you kinda gotta squint lol, going back up to 15% once my M3P comes

Attachments

• IMG_9847.jpeg
    IMG_9847.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 4
I did mention the M3P was faster than the Ioniq5.

I also test drove a MachE and talked to the Ford rep. He asked me what my honest opinion of the car was. I told him I could only think of two reasons to buy this car:

1) You’ve always driven a Ford and don’t want to look at anything else.
2) You hate Elon Musk.

Otherwise the MachE is an overpriced piece of junk. He laughed and told me I was absolutely correct.
You told a Ford rep the MachE is a piece of junk and he said you were correct? Or was it just to 1) and 2)?

• Funny
Reactions: jose3030
Zipped around the Indy SC main and aux lots after dinner tonight. Two black/whites in the main lot, VINs ending in 785433 and 782486.

Sad to report the rear diffuser on the passenger side of 785433 took some damage while being unloaded (scraped the ground) and will need replaced.
I saw yours when I got mine .. it looks great!!! You will love it

• Love
Reactions: whoosierdaddy
I had a chance to drive a Hyundai Ioniq 5N today at the Electrify Expo convention in Long Beach, CA. The rep who sat with me for the drive was a professional race car driver who works with Hyundai and Porsche to design their racing vehicles. He spent quite a bit of time talking about all of the great features of the car and asked me what I was comparing it to. I told him I was considering a Model 3 Performance.

So he asked me why I wanted the M3P instead of the Ioniq. I told him that it cost $20K less, has faster acceleration, and 80 more miles of range. It also has a superior implementation of FSD and a more reliable supercharging network.

His response was, well if those are the only things you care about, you should buy the Tesla.

I’m still scratching my head on that one. Is there something else I’m supposed to care about? I mean I wasn’t about to tell him the Ioniq is just plain ugly.
No, he was there to sell the 5N

I also test drove a MachE and talked to the Ford rep. He asked me what my honest opinion of the car was. I told him I could only think of two reasons to buy this car:

2) You hate Elon Musk.

Otherwise the MachE is an overpriced piece of junk. He laughed and told me I was absolutely correct.
My review of the MachE is a lot more generous than that. It's a great car if you want an EV that feels like a gas car. They did a fantastic job of making it feel like I'd expect a Ford to feel and drive. I have zero interest in that personally as I much prefer Tesla's look and the linear feel, but at least the top of the line MachE is a car I would recommend to a select group of people that want an electric vehicle but specifically don't like how EV's normally feel.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You told a Ford rep the MachE is a piece of junk and he said you were correct? Or was it just to 1) and 2)?
So technically the guy sitting with me on the test drive works for a marketing company that Ford hires to go to these shows and talk to customers and collect feedback. He said he also does work for GM and Mercedes. But yes, I told him the car was junk compared to the Tesla, and yes, he agreed.

Reactions: Sandee3 and JezzaE
I am getting whiplash with the delivery date changes, and my 2024 M3P will ready for delivery I am out of the country. Any advice?

The story is that the first delivery estimate I got (aside from the "June" when I ordered) was July 23 - Sept 2nd (I even entered this in the spreadsheet). That would have been fine, as it was after our vacation plans.

The update is that I now have a VIN, and estimated delivery is June 16-July 23. I will be out of the country on vacation during the entire period. The earliest I could take delivery is on the 24th after our return.

What are my options here, if any?

• Love
Reactions: jose3030

2) You hate Elon Musk.

I "hate" Elon but it doesn't impact what I buy

Reactions: scrapps
So technically the guy sitting with me on the test drive works for a marketing company that Ford hires to go to these shows and talk to customers and collect feedback. He said he also does work for GM and Mercedes. But yes, I told him the car was junk compared to the Tesla, and yes, he agreed.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense than being a Ford rep.

Just took delivery of my grey/black in SF Bay Area (updated tracker). Wanted to add another data point since deliveries up here seem to be scarce compared to the Tesla driving population. Build seems pretty decent with no obvious flaws. I stopped looking after checking for obvious issues as I didn't want to press my luck. I have OCD and can't unsee something once I find it. Coming from Porsche I think the adaptive dampers are fantastic for my taste. Just firm enough without being too firm.

View attachment 1053029
Love to see it! I am also coming from a Porsche as well so excited to hear the new M3P meets your expectations.

View attachment 1052859
View attachment 1052860

I took delivery of my car yesterday! Wow, what a blast yesterday driving this car around. I won't bore everyone with the same "it's fast" stuff you heard so i won't go much into that. But I'll try and go over a few things that i haven't heard much about yet you'll want to know:

1) When going through your delivery checklist, the part where it gets to "inspect that the USB drive is plugged into the back of the glove box". Just note that if you decide to unplug it and just look at it for no good reason like me, be prepared to take another 5 minutes in trying to plug it back in. That glove box is so shallow top to bottom that i couldn't get my hand all the way to the back to plug it back in! Now I'm not a big dude, 6'0 195, smaller framed body type, if anything smaller framed compared to other dudes my size. But man i felt like i needed a shot of Ozempic to get my hand back there to get that plugged in. I got my hands back to a point where they were just wedged in there and then i had to use just my fingers to finesse that thing forward and back, left to right to eventually back into the slot. And it's USB-A so if you don't check first orientation then you'll have a 50/50 chance at that. The SA came out while i was fumbling with it and knew already what i was having issues with and he said yeah, everyone has had some degree of issues getting it back in, interesting spot the engineers decided to put that USB drive.

The drive home was great. Everything everybody says about how quick/ fast this car is, i can mirror that sentiment. Yes it's quick, and yes it's fast. My previous car was a BMW M240i and before that a E92 M3. Those cars are 0-60 in low 4's. This car would destroy either of those cars from a stop or at speed. But there are more similarities in ride and handling to those cars.

Steering feel: i did not notice a change in response when changing the steering feel from the 3 settings, just an increase is in firmness so i left it in the lightest or standard setting. I know changing that isn't going to change any steering geometry/ratio, so i only tested the 3 settings but left it mostly in the lightest or medium "standard" setting. M3P steering compared to my previous M3, the M3 was better with a more progressive feel and road feedback that this car doesn't have. The M3 does have a hydraulic rack so to be expected. My M3 had the best steering feel out of any car I've ever driven in my life. (I'm 52 and have driven a ton of cars over my life). But with my previous M240i, BMW ditched the hydraulic rack and changed to a electronic rack and for me it lost all of what i was used to with the M3. Electronic assisted rack in the M3P felt the same to me as the M240i.

Handling: didn't have an opportunity to really push it cornering but i liked the ride in both sport and standard. Sport felt a little less jarring and less skitzo and a little more controlled than either of my BMW's when they were in their firmest suspension setting. Standard setting felt great for a "standard setting" More composed but still no floatiness that may be attributed with with other cars with adjustable suspension. For aggressive street, I do feel like this car can be taken to the next level with a set springs to drop it another 1" and a set of sway bars. But the electronic controlled dampers are really good in this car, i'm sure others will swap in coilovers for the track, sure. But for street, this car doesn't need much more, IMHO.

Acceleration setting: I drove around mostly in the Insane setting and switched only to the chill setting for a short time to see if there was really any light throttle response differences. We all know there is are top speed limits with these settings but i wanted to know if there are differences in stop and go traffic situations. And i definitely could tell with light throttle acceleration in Insane mode needs slightly more finesse to manage a slow take off than chill is. Not that you can't make the car take off like a gradma in Insane, you can but takes just a little more thought than in chill mode. But i was ok with that and just left it in Insane as i always wanted access to the fastest this car can accelerate at any time so Insane is the only way to go. And in time your brain will adjust and you'll be able to modulate the throttle better for slow takeoffs without thinking about it.

Seats: For me the seats were great. Fit me like a glove but still compliant. I've heard a few reviews of people not liking them. I guess it's subjective depending on body type and what you're used to. Coming from BMW sport seats, I felt like i was back in a familiar place.

Cabin noise: what noise. So quiet. Which i like cause with most people, we listen to tunes or talk radio, or podcasts. All of that is easier in a quiet cabin. Whoever the reviewers are that rate this car down compared to the IONIQ 5N because there are no fake engine sounds should have their media cards taken away. And i LOVE engine and exhaust noise. My M3 with its S65 V8 made the most amazing sound out of the exhaust at 8k RPM. But this is not that car. I didn't even like the fake engine sounds that BMW pipes into their modern M cars. My M240i had that and i hated it, i had to bypass it with an add in module.

Stereo: this cars sound really does kick ass. And this is coming from someone who has always ripped out factory systems and has wired up my own. Wiring up amps whether going with two way with passive x-over components or configuring multi amp and going 3-way active with the electronic x-over route and the constant never ending tuning - this car has me thinking why bother with all of that. I do have some AudioFrog tweeters and 4" drivers left over from my BMW i may swap in at a later date and let the factory amps/processing drive them. Yes, the sub is a little uncontrolled at times (boomy) but the cool thing is you can dial the sub level independently from the frequency adjustments you have with the 6 band graphic EQ. Better than any BMW I've heard and better than our Mazda CX9 which has the premium Bose sound system.

That's it for now! So hopefully this doesn't get people more angry for waiting. Just be patient that the wait will be worth it.

My .02, for the money nothing touches this car.
> But i was ok with that and just left it in Insane as i always wanted access to the fastest this car can accelerate at any time so Insane is the only way to go.

Does leaving the acceleration mode in "insane" cause any additional battery degradation over the life of the vehicle? My understanding is that the mode heats up and maintains the battery temp "within an optimal temperature range". I may be overthinking this but I intend on leaving the car in "standard" until I wanna show off with the insane mode.

> But i was ok with that and just left it in Insane as i always wanted access to the fastest this car can accelerate at any time so Insane is the only way to go.

Does leaving the acceleration mode in "insane" cause any additional battery degradation over the life of the vehicle? My understanding is that the mode heats up and maintains the battery temp "within an optimal temperature range". I may be overthinking this but I intend on leaving the car in "standard" until I wanna show off with the insane mode.
Is there conclusive evidence of this? I am curious to know if this is the case.....

Battery degradation mainly has to do with charging habits (I.e. charging it no more than 80% at home and minimizing supercharging). Plus the battery has a warranty of eight years or 100k miles. So having it on insane mode by default will hardly affect battery degradation, if at all.