Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will do! Hopefully we get ours around the same timeframe, unless there's some difference due to our respective seats. Cannot wait!

Have you seen the car in person yet? Every Tesla showroom except Decatur has one now apparently. According to Decatur, they're the ugly stepchild that Tesla seems to ignore for some reason, they get everything late. Which is especially annoying because that's the closest showroom and likely the one I'll be forced to take delivery from.
I have not. I haven’t had the time to drive down to the Kennesaw location yet :(

I believe 15 is the default Telsa uses on their paperwork.
Your actual vehicle may have 0, 2, 4, 15, 20, etc...

Does not matter it is still new
Only slight correction here I would say is, Tesla puts 15 miles on the paperwork, and the number on that paperwork should be considered a "not more than" number so if the car had more than 15 miles, tesla would need to (and should) re draw up the paperwork with the higher than 15 number on it.

That 15 on there can be thought of as "0-15". Tesla used to put "50" on that same paperwork that now has "15", and that had even more threads and stuff about basically "wtf I am buying a new car why is there 50 miles on it already?!!??!!??!" (basically).

My 2018 Model 3P paperwork says 50 (but had 12 miles on it), my wifes 2022 model YP had 8 miles on it but the paperwork said 15.

Agree. I would just want to leave it in insane mode for short or long trips so as to get the max power at whatever battery temp I'm at and let my root foot be the primary range limiter. Otherwise anytime we use it for longer trips I'm going to want to switch back and forth which would be a pain. I would think they would have thought that through more so I guess we'll see when more are able to test.
someone come up with a quick switch/lever to go in/out of insane mode.

The MP3 is mostly the same as last year with slight changes; more power, adaptive suspension, the new seats and wheels and tires are really the only differences. I'm not saying the M3P is a bad car or the Hyundai is better, but the fact is the 5 N is more track focused and has features to get you more driving engagement compared to the Model 3.
The 5 N has hardware and software that the M3P does not have. The. 5N has a dedicated launch mode, a more comprehensive drift mode, it has a simulated clutch kick to get the rear end out, a mechanical E-LSD, a system that calculates the battery's state of charge per lap on track, an endurance mode for track days and a sprint mode to give one fast lap. Like it or not the simulated gearshifts and fake engine sounds are there and provide some stimulation, many a jaded automotive journalists have said it actually does add to the experience of driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to provide quick access to track modes and shift paddles, different gauge setups.
The low 220 mile range is proof that it is a more focused car. Yes it's more expensive but you get more for your money. Yes it's heavier but you get 641 horsepower which makes acceleration a wash between the two cars, and the Ioniq 5 N is actually considered an SUV with a hatch so more useable space.
None of this makes the M3P a bad car, I have a reservation for one. I think the small changes to the M3P make it a compelling proposition, especially for under $50k. I think it offers more value than the 5 N, also the range and the supposedly more comfortable ride makes the M3P a better commuter which matters to me.

I think your points are valid. BUT I would like to see both on a track in timed trials. Maybe Randy Probst. I think the M3P will beat the 5N's time as I don't see the M3P having any trouble beating a 5000 pound SUV, track focused or not.

That's what I wonder. But I'm hoping you are wrong. It's possible that it only heats the battery in cooler temperatures to prevent a significant performance loss. It could also mean it keeps the battery really warm all the time (like preheating for supercharging). Or anything in between. I would hope it'd only constantly heat the battery if you are in insane mode AND in track mode. If not, in a future update they really need to have a separate checkbox (switch) for "Peak performance" under insane. That way at least you could leave it in insane without heating the battery but you'd at least get all the power available at the current battery temp, whatever that may be.
I have spent the last two years monitoring battery temps for every situation you can think of. Insane Mode will use more power than Chill or Standard Mode. I can guarantee that based on all of the testing I have done with the previous car. I doubt putting it in Track Mode will ever be beneficial for straight line acceleration. Track Mode just isn't designed for that. Insane Mode is.

My new Highland S3XY buttons just arrived. Hopefully my car will get here in the next week or two. I will record exactly what each mode does then.

That was my worry. That’s why switched it last minute. Took the loss for the tax credit but doesn’t matter anyways. Won’t qualify end of year
Yeah I ended up leasing so tax credit wouldn't matter either. Before seeing red so much I was torn between Red and Grey, decided to keep it lowkey but wish I didn't, but hey that is why I lease, I don't feel too bad, and when I see my grey car it still makes me happy so you really cant go wrong with any color, but good choice with red

Agree. I would just want to leave it in insane mode for short or long trips so as to get the max power at whatever battery temp I'm at and let my root foot be the primary range limiter. Otherwise anytime we use it for longer trips I'm going to want to switch back and forth which would be a pain. I would think they would have thought that through more so I guess we'll see when more are able to test.
A pain? to click the screen once for setting and again for drive mode.. that you only need to do once? Not like you are switching back and forth between modes on one drive, and ya as someone mentioned you can assign a button to switch modes anyways

The MP3 is mostly the same as last year with slight changes; more power, adaptive suspension, the new seats and wheels and tires are really the only differences. I'm not saying the M3P is a bad car or the Hyundai is better, but the fact is the 5 N is more track focused and has features to get you more driving engagement compared to the Model 3.
The 5 N has hardware and software that the M3P does not have. The. 5N has a dedicated launch mode, a more comprehensive drift mode, it has a simulated clutch kick to get the rear end out, a mechanical E-LSD, a system that calculates the battery's state of charge per lap on track, an endurance mode for track days and a sprint mode to give one fast lap. Like it or not the simulated gearshifts and fake engine sounds are there and provide some stimulation, many a jaded automotive journalists have said it actually does add to the experience of driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to provide quick access to track modes and shift paddles, different gauge setups.
The low 220 mile range is proof that it is a more focused car. Yes it's more expensive but you get more for your money. Yes it's heavier but you get 641 horsepower which makes acceleration a wash between the two cars, and the Ioniq 5 N is actually considered an SUV with a hatch so more useable space.
None of this makes the M3P a bad car, I have a reservation for one. I think the small changes to the M3P make it a compelling proposition, especially for under $50k. I think it offers more value than the 5 N, also the range and the supposedly more comfortable ride makes the M3P a better commuter which matters to me.
View attachment 1053233
View attachment 1053236
None of the things you mention will make the 5N quicker than the new Model 3 Performance for anything. The extra 800 lbs the 5N carries around are its Achilles heal. For a 4,850 lb vehicle it does quite well but it is no match for a 4,050 lb vehicle like the new Model 3 Performance.

I am just going to say it. The gear shift simulations on the 5N are stupid. They slow the car down and the reviews demonstrated that. A car is engaging when it is winning at the track. Those gear shifts won't help you win. They will help you lose.

I honestly have to laugh at people paying $67K+ for fake gear shifts and piped in fart can noises in an EV. If that makes them happy then it is their money to spend as they please. However, I am going to make fun of them as I beat them in the quicker and less expensive Model 3 Performance.

No, I don't think it works this way.

Go read the manual for the Plaid, it has very similar language around putting the car in Plaid mode.

I own a Plaid. When I put the car in Plaid mode it most definitely is NOT heating the battery. However, putting the car in drag strip mode most certainly DOES start heating the battery.

I think what they are saying is that in Plaid/Insane mode, you are guaranteed a certain level of performance, which requires a certain battery temperature. IF your battery temperature drops below this threshold, on cold days it will start to push more heat into the battery at the cost of energy to make sure you get to the minimum. If you leave the car in Chill or Standard it won't do this.

Therefore, you can leave the car in Insane mode all the time if you want -- it should only cost more energy when it's cold out.
One benefit to living in Cali, the weather plays nice with my Insane mode M3P :)

Reactions: Gasaraki
A couple different people have said that a tesla rep told them they would hold the car for up to 2 weeks if they were unavailable. If I were in your shoes I would ask your rep that question. With that being said, you have a vin, but the delivery window sounds like its 5 weeks wide

Ack! Mistyped delivery date window, which is actually June 16-June 23. I am not taking a 5+ week vacation.

But thanks for the advice. My tesla rep actually contacted me this morning and said they can put my order on hold until after I return.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Will do! Hopefully we get ours around the same timeframe, unless there's some difference due to our respective seats. Cannot wait!

Have you seen the car in person yet? Every Tesla showroom except Decatur has one now apparently. According to Decatur, they're the ugly stepchild that Tesla seems to ignore for some reason, they get everything late. Which is especially annoying because that's the closest showroom and likely the one I'll be forced to take delivery from.
Even Fayetteville? Which also has the CT currently.