Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just 2 more days, in NJ👍👍👍

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 6
"Insane strives to keep the Battery within an optimal temperature range. In addition to heating the Battery, these settings also cool the Battery when necessary (for example, while driving at high speeds, during rapid acceleration, driving for long periods, etc.)."

View attachment 1053205

So is this saying it already heats up the battery in the same way the S3XY buttons? I wonder if anyone that has received the car has monitored temps in Insane mode.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
It says in the manual that insane acceleration mode changes the thermal management:
View attachment 1053200
That's really weird. So is this is saying that the standard and chill modes DOESN'T keep the battery within optimal temperatures. That makes sense, I guess. I wonder how much range you lose keeping it in Insane for a daily driver.

That's really weird. So is this is saying that the standard and chill modes DOESN'T keep the battery within optimal temperatures. That makes sense, I guess. I wonder how much range you lose keeping it in Insane for a daily driver.
The way I read it, it uses heat from the heatpump to warm up the battery. This is only an issue in cold climates in terms of range you lose. In cali I rarely ever use my heater so Insane mode shouldn't take off too much range, where it hurts you is cold climates where you need to use the heat pump to heat the battery AND the interior of the car, thats when you use a ton of energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
The way I read it, it uses heat from the heatpump to warm up the battery. This is only an issue in cold climates in terms of range you lose. In cali I rarely ever use my heater so Insane mode shouldn't take off too much range, where it hurts you is cold climates where you need to use the heat pump to heat the battery AND the interior of the car, thats when you use a ton of energy.
Yep.

Heating the battery for optimal acceleration even on a 95+ degree F day takes a tremendous amount of energy. When you put it in Insane Mode it will heat the battery and use up WAY more energy than the other two modes. I will demonstrate this when I get my car.

agree.... but a few days to get the track back open is nothing like cars damage by this
Maybe, but depending on how many cars are on a train they can remake them pretty quick. They had to do that with the recent hail storm that took out an entire lot of cars. When you been make thousands of cars a day, a handful destroyed in transit isn't that hard to redirect.

Heating the battery for optimal acceleration even on a 95+ degree F day takes a tremendous amount of energy. When you put it in Insane Mode it will heat the battery and use up WAY more energy than the other two modes. I will demonstrate this when I get my car.

That's what I wonder. But I'm hoping you are wrong. It's possible that it only heats the battery in cooler temperatures to prevent a significant performance loss. It could also mean it keeps the battery really warm all the time (like preheating for supercharging). Or anything in between. I would hope it'd only constantly heat the battery if you are in insane mode AND in track mode. If not, in a future update they really need to have a separate checkbox (switch) for "Peak performance" under insane. That way at least you could leave it in insane without heating the battery but you'd at least get all the power available at the current battery temp, whatever that may be.

Reactions: xianking
While it doesn't really mean much right now, I just saw my EDD move from Aug 9th-Sept 1st all the way forward to July 2nd-Aug 6th!

No VIN yet, but I'll take whatever I can get right now. Fingers crossed I can snag this puppy in time for some Fourth of July fireworks.

Ordered 5/12 (apparently though it's considered 5/13 by the system, ugh). SG/White w/ FSD, Atlanta.
Keep me updated on your EDD as I am also in Atlanta. Ordered 5/10 and just had my EDD pushed to July 10 - August 14th from July 29 September 9th. Grey/black

No, I don't think it works this way.

Go read the manual for the Plaid, it has very similar language around putting the car in Plaid mode.

I own a Plaid. When I put the car in Plaid mode it most definitely is NOT heating the battery. However, putting the car in drag strip mode most certainly DOES start heating the battery.

I think what they are saying is that in Plaid/Insane mode, you are guaranteed a certain level of performance, which requires a certain battery temperature. IF your battery temperature drops below this threshold, on cold days it will start to push more heat into the battery at the cost of energy to make sure you get to the minimum. If you leave the car in Chill or Standard it won't do this.

Therefore, you can leave the car in Insane mode all the time if you want -- it should only cost more energy when it's cold out.

That's what I wonder. But I'm hoping you are wrong. It's possible that it only heats the battery in cooler temperatures to prevent a significant performance loss. It could also mean it keeps the battery really warm all the time (like preheating for supercharging). Or anything in between. I would hope it'd only constantly heat the battery if you are in insane mode AND in track mode. If not, in a future update they really need to have a separate checkbox (switch) for "Peak performance" under insane. That way at least you could leave it in insane without heating the battery but you'd at least get all the power available at the current battery temp, whatever that may be.
Agree. I would just want to leave it in insane mode for short or long trips so as to get the max power at whatever battery temp I'm at and let my root foot be the primary range limiter. Otherwise anytime we use it for longer trips I'm going to want to switch back and forth which would be a pain. I would think they would have thought that through more so I guess we'll see when more are able to test.

My 2022 MS LR has Insane mode (and drag strip mode) and the same language in the manual regarding heating in Insane. I assume the systems are similar. I run insane mode all the time except when road tripping and don't see much of a difference in range.

And here is a PSA for everyone who doesn't know:

If you are just trying to get the best 0-60 or drag run, DO NOT put the car in Track mode. Track mode does not heat the battery, it cools it! You are actually hurting your performance. Track mode is designed more for performance endurance, which requires battery cooling, not heating.

Again, if you want the best drag strip performance, navigate the car to a supercharger, let it start to heat the battery AND DO NOT USE TRACK MODE.

Keep me updated on your EDD as I am also in Atlanta. Ordered 5/10 and just had my EDD pushed to July 10 - August 14th from July 29 September 9th. Grey/black
Will do! Hopefully we get ours around the same timeframe, unless there's some difference due to our respective seats. Cannot wait!

Have you seen the car in person yet? Every Tesla showroom except Decatur has one now apparently. According to Decatur, they're the ugly stepchild that Tesla seems to ignore for some reason, they get everything late. Which is especially annoying because that's the closest showroom and likely the one I'll be forced to take delivery from.