Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes

The IRS loosened a very small regulation about hard to trace graphite or something. Has nothing to do with the overall message of the tax credit

Plenty of inventory online showing not available also. Tesla has likely been making the car with the new cells for along time now and just was waiting to get the inventory out there.

It says check with dealer actually for confirmation.

“News sources” aka people who don’t know anything and just regurgitate what they read.
I’m not so sure. I stopped by the Tesla showroom in Cathedral City today to ask about that. They told me that Tesla had not communicated what specifically changed about the car to make it qualify. They guessed it had something to do with the battery and told me that any car currently on the lot did not qualify for the credit. There was no delivery estimate on the website for new orders so they told me I may have to wait a month or longer to get the car.

So I placed an order for one - LR AWD black/black. And now I’m scheduled to pick it up in Irvine on Thursday. So I went back to the showroom to say “what the heck”? They confirmed the car was sitting in Irvine ready for pickup. I had them confirm the “birthdate” on the car was May 31, built in Fremont.

So at this point it’s anyone’s guess what’s going on but I’m not convinced they switched over to Panasonic batteries on May 31st. In any case, it ended up saving me $7,500 over the price of the M3P. I test drove one and the acceleration was still crazy fast. And of course the longer range and all season tires just make it a more practical car. So while I’ve been hanging out in this thread for weeks now waiting to jump on an M3P deal, it looks like I’m going to be a LR owner in three days.

My guess is at least some people will be switching their orders over to LR. Not everyone can justify spending an extra $7,500 for better acceleration at the expense of less range and less practical summer tires.

Total game changer with this new rebate on the LRs. That was my only rationale when I get the M3P. Pick em up before someone else does! This is how ordering a car should be like, place an order then pick up on lot same day.

I'm starting to get my Tesla anticipation finally back after all the EDD changes killed it and the frustrated wife.
You make a very good point. Do the body styling, nicer seats, white interior, and wheels make up for $7,500 and 38 miles of range? I just don't know. I'm also waiting of Florida to send me my title on my current car so I suppose I don't have to decide just yet...

I imagine once LR inventory sells out the EDD monkey will be on them too. With the fed giving away taxpayers money, its a smoking deal too! Does any one have facts on actual production lines, I am under the impression there is only one USA M3 production line at Fremont facility. (other lines there make S,X, and Y.) So will M3LR and M3P be under the same demand constraints on one line.

As for the acceleration boost(AB). Only hypothesizing, but I don't see why they wouldn't offer it once they have Highland inventoried globaly. #TSLA$$$. The hotness will soon be the Juniper MY new shiny. It would be too easy of a lever for free money to offer a M3LR AB. Added the M3P now has real differences in suspension, motor, looks and seats to keep its sales up . Opposed to legacy M3 red calipers and Pedal covers.

Any one else notice that tons of YouTubers got there M3P performance last week. West, central and east coast. It almost smells like free advertising to get the model back in the mix. First initial release, then initial round of selective testers on social media, then a pause, then another wave. Maybe I am too cynical/suspect, or maybe their lack of advertisememnts department is genius to get all the hype/press for next to none. .

I imagine once LR inventory sells out the EDD monkey will be on them too. With the fed giving away taxpayers money, its a smoking deal too! Does any one have facts on actual production lines, I am under the impression there is only one USA M3 production line at Fremont facility. (other lines there make S,X, and Y.) So will M3LR and M3P be under the same demand constraints on one line.

As for the acceleration boost(AB). Only hypothesizing, but I don't see why they wouldn't offer it once they have Highland inventoried globaly. #TSLA$$$. The hotness will soon be the Juniper MY new shiny. It would be too easy of a lever for free money to offer a M3LR AB. Added the M3P now has real differences in suspension, motor, looks and seats to keep its sales up . Opposed to legacy M3 red calipers and Pedal covers.

Any one else notice that tons of YouTubers got there M3P performance last week. West, central and east coast. It almost smells like free advertising to get the model back in the mix. First initial release, then initial round of selective testers on social media, then a pause, then another wave. Maybe I am too cynical/suspect, or maybe their lack of advertisememnts department is genius to get all the hype/press for next to none. .
All good points. We could find that M3s will be in short supply across the board for a while, and it won't just be M3Ps that have this problem.

My sense is they need to bring the Gigafactory in Texas online to building M3s soon. Fremont being the only factory is probably a huge bottleneck for Tesla selling more M3s.

You make a very good point. Do the body styling, nicer seats, white interior, and wheels make up for $7,500 and 38 miles of range? I just don't know. I'm also waiting of Florida to send me my title on my current car so I suppose I don't have to decide just yet...
You’re always on the inside, you only see the flashy exterior as you are walking towards your car. It’s also more attraction to your vehicle.
Oof to the people changing to LR. you were probably within a week or two of getting a vin if you ordered in April
Could be within a week or could be in many weeks. Tesla could run into production issues and have them delayed significantly. The white interior highlands with the white interior are perfect examples.

You can also have a mass influx of LRs now that delay the M3P even more.

Oof to the people changing to LR. you were probably within a week or two of getting a vin if you ordered in April
1718666635147.png

I’m not so sure. I stopped by the Tesla showroom in Cathedral City today to ask about that. They told me that Tesla had not communicated what specifically changed about the car to make it qualify. They guessed it had something to do with the battery and told me that any car currently on the lot did not qualify for the credit. There was no delivery estimate on the website for new orders so they told me I may have to wait a month or longer to get the car.
You can bookmark my posts. It’s the reason why. Tesla employees are idiots and don’t know anything. They regularly say things all the time that are incorrect. Plenty of examples on these forums of idiotic stuff that people believe is true.

I definitely think anyone with a late April/early May order thinking of switching to LR out of EDD frustration should wait at least two more weeks to see if they get a VIN and a confirmed delivery date before end of June. That's what I'm doing.

If I'm still as frustrated and unclear on when I'm getting my car after July 4th, I'll more seriously consider switching to LR.

Reactions: Dr.DMP3
What I'm saying is that they no longer need to keep the M3P under 55K since they a have a nice option for the tax credit. The M3P is way under priced for what we are getting and I think they stretched to get it under until the LR was in the tax credit acceptance criteria.
I know what you’re saying, it just doesn’t make any business sense. They will just move their supply constraint from the P to the LR with that strategy, which is what they just solved with the P supply constraint by getting the LR with the tax credit now too.

The M3P isn’t underpriced. It’s $7,500 more than the LR. There aren’t $7,500 of cost upgrades in there. The M3P is likely their highest margin M3 trim already