Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Replacement Wiper Blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed Michelin XT silicone blades on my 3 as they seem to get good reviews. However the drivers side squeaks unless the windshield is totally drenched - and leaves the bottom 4 inches in-swept! The originals were perfect but not available in the Tesla store... Anyone with similar experience?

Reactions: sa012
Installed Michelin XT silicone blades on my 3 as they seem to get good reviews. However the drivers side squeaks unless the windshield is totally drenched - and leaves the bottom 4 inches in-swept! The originals were perfect but not available in the Tesla store... Anyone with similar experience?
Same experience. Also seemed to skip on driver side too. Put old ones back on.

With the XTs did you both follow the installation instructions fully? Including the initial dry use on medium to medium high for a few minutes? Its unnerving at best.

The 3/Y windshields have paculiar curvature and stripping the glass to deep clean it is tricky and ironically seems critical to preventing wiper chatter and skipping. Glass wax, coatings, sealants can either help or make things worse for graphite or silicone wiper blades.

If not the XTs, the old Bosch Icons or the newer Bosch Envisions in OE flavors are another good option - just need the adapter clips trimmed (5 second job).

Last edited:
With the XTs did you both follow the installation instructions fully? Including the initial dry use on medium to medium high for a few minutes? Its unnerving at best.

The 3/Y windshields have paculiar curvature and stripping the glass to deep clean it is tricky and ironically seems critical to preventing wiper chatter and skipping. Glass wax, coatings, sealants can either help or make things worse for graphite or silicone wiper blades.

If not the XTs, the old Bosch Icons or the newer Bosch Envisions in OE flavors are another good option - just need the adapter clips trimmed (5 second job).
yeah I followed the directions to a T. Let them run over the glass dry continuously for 5 minutes. Still got the chatter.

Just gave up and got Tesla originals! Snaps right in, no noises and sweeps cleanly. A bit pricey at 2x$25…. but since I’m also a shareholder;-))

People love to try to fix what ain't broken - years of cheap OEM parts from big automakers trying to save a buck on every vehicle have convinced people that OEM parts couldn't be high-quality. But Tesla knows clear vision in the rain is important for the safety of their customers and so they provide high-quality Bosch wipers and don't worry about the few extra bucks it costs them per car.

We have had both of our Model 3's for 3 years and they both still have the original OEM blades on them. Since we live in NW Washington they come on quite often and they are both still working like new. I have a low tolerance for noises, streaks and poor vision so I'll replace them at the first instance of them not working well. Since it's been a 3 full years and the wet winter season is approaching maybe I'll just replace them pro-actively. I've heard the install is dead simple.

People love to try to fix what ain't broken - years of cheap OEM parts from big automakers trying to save a buck on every vehicle have convinced people that OEM parts couldn't be high-quality. But Tesla knows clear vision in the rain is important for the safety of their customers and so they provide high-quality Bosch wipers and don't worry about the few extra bucks it costs them per car.

We have had both of our Model 3's for 3 years and they both still have the original OEM blades on them. Since we live in NW Washington they come on quite often and they are both still working like new. I have a low tolerance for noises, streaks and poor vision so I'll replace them at the first instance of them not working well. Since it's been a 3 full years and the wet winter season is approaching maybe I'll just replace them pro-actively. I've heard the install is dead simple.
My original OEM blades didn't last long on my 2018 Model 3 - so I ended up replacing them w/ the Michelin blades mentioned in this thread earlier (based in part on the belief that silicone would be a better material). Alas, they frequently "squeaked" and occasionally chattered across the windscreen. So I went back to the OEM blades and they're working perfectly now, FWIW.

Did you have to make any modifications to the clip or did it just fit right out of the box with the included adapters? What size did you use?
It comes with an adapter that fits the Model 3; however, the COVER for the adapter won't fit as it would hit the washer nozzles.

Attachments

• LeftWiper.JPG
    LeftWiper.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 261
  • RightWiper.JPG
    RightWiper.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: rlb4
I've kept my eye on this thread since the day it first appeared, thinking that when the time came to replace my OEM blades, I'd replace them with the latest and greatest.

And after reading this thread numerous times, as well as watching "Project Farm" on YouTube review the best wipers (which was a great video, btw)...

I just replaced my wipers for the first time since I bought my car in August of 2019. And I replaced them with the OEM blades right from Tesla's web site.

Why?

I live in the desert. Wiper blades have a very short life expectancy here due to UV damage. I'm sure that the way the Tesla hides the blades from the sun helps a lot, but I have never had a set of any blades last for two years.

My OEM blades are still working perfectly, two years down the road. I only bought the replacements as they are out of stock quite often on Tesla's site, and sell out quickly once they finally come back in. I won't bother installing them until the stock blades finally wear out.

Yes, they're pricey at over fifty bucks for the pair, but I have never been so pleased with the performance of a set of wiper blades on a car, ever.

Even now, two years later, they still perfectly clean the windshield. No smearing, nada. They're completely quiet. I've driven through torrential downpours with these things, and have never seen better performance from a blade.

I can't speak to cold weather performance other than a short trip I made to Salt Lake in February, but during that trip it snowed most of the time. Great performance for the short time I was there. The trip wasn't long enough to really form a valid cold weather opinion, though.

I just hope Tesla hasn't changed their OEM supplier since I bought the car!

Not needing to replace any parts or use any sort of blade adapter is just the proverbial icing.

I'll gladly pay fifty bucks for a set of wipers that lasts more than two years.

You guys that live in rainy parts of the world.... are you seeing this kind of performance out of the OEM blades, too? How about cold weather?

Reactions: navguy12
I bought my last set of blades from Rockauto.com and have just ordered another pair, although the first pair are still good after a years use. These are Trico Exact Fit Replacement blades for Tesla Model 3. What's great about them is that they come ready to install will the correct adapter already installed. They work great without chatter or other noise.
Cost: $25 for the pair including USPS shipping to Ohiio. You can't beat the price and shipping is within hours of placing your order. Just enter year and model of your Tesla and the correct size blades will come up.

For me, the Trico Exact Fit blades worked better than the OEM blades (less chatter and clear better) and were just us good as the more expensive Bosch PUV blades. Yet the Trico blades have held up better than the either OEM or Bosch with our tough winters and salt. I ordered another set of Tricos to have before another winter begins.

BTW, ConsumerReports reviewed, not long ago, a bunch of different wipers. Some did a bit better than others, but what I found interesting, was even with the best wipers, performance degraded significantly after only 6 months. So it's probably a good idea to replace wipers more often than you think is necessary.

I bought my last set of blades from Rockauto.com and have just ordered another pair, although the first pair are still good after a years use. These are Trico Exact Fit Replacement blades for Tesla Model 3. What's great about them is that they come ready to install will the correct adapter already installed. They work great without chatter or other noise.
Cost: $25 for the pair including USPS shipping to Ohiio. You can't beat the price and shipping is within hours of placing your order. Just enter year and model of your Tesla and the correct size blades will come up.

For me, the Trico Exact Fit blades worked better than the OEM blades (less chatter and clear better) and were just us good as the more expensive Bosch PUV blades. Yet the Trico blades have held up better than the either OEM or Bosch with our tough winters and salt. I ordered another set of Tricos to have before another winter begins.

BTW, ConsumerReports reviewed, not long ago, a bunch of different wipers. Some did a bit better than others, but what I found interesting, was even with the best wipers, performance degraded significantly after only 6 months. So it's probably a good idea to replace wipers more often than you think is necessary.
Do you have a link? What size?

Consumer reports rated the Tesla windshield wipers as terrible, put them on a Ford and they were the best wipers ever tested /s