Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservation holders - have you gone MS/MX instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X is great! Hope Tesla keeps ironing out all the fit/finish and quality issues. If my brother bails on the 3, considering the 3 for the wife.
I know what you mean, have chrome window trim thats way off still have not taken in yet. Same for us still have reservation sitting on the table and if we can swing it financially it will be her car. I was told that the reservation was nontransferable have you looked into that?

I know what you mean, have chrome window trim thats way off still have not taken in yet. Same for us still have reservation sitting on the table and if we can swing it financially it will be her car. I was told that the reservation was nontransferable have you looked into that?
They are non transferable. Original person would have to buy it and claim whatever rebates exist in 2018.

I stood in line for over 2 hours for the Model 3. I just ended up buying the Model S 75 a week ago. No regrets whatsoever. Cancelled the reservation a few days after taking delivery. Was surprised to see the credit would take 30-60 days but I"m not complaining.

I stood in line for over 2 hours for the Model 3. I just ended up buying the Model S 75 a week ago. No regrets whatsoever. Cancelled the reservation a few days after taking delivery. Was surprised to see the credit would take 30-60 days but I"m not complaining.

If you bought new, I think you could have applied your Model 3 deposit toward your purchase. At least, that's what I remember reading back in March of 2016.

In all seriousness, I needed to buy two more electrics within the next 12 months. My second M3 reservation is not prioritized, so we're talking 2019. Meanwhile, the first M3 is delayed, so I substituted a Bolt for the second M3. If the first M3 also slips, I'll look into another Bolt, the I-PACE, the Audi e-tron, or one of BMW's offerings, all of which will be cheaper than an S or X.

In all seriousness, I needed to buy two more electrics within the next 12 months. My second M3 reservation is not prioritized, so we're talking 2019. Meanwhile, the first M3 is delayed, so I substituted a Bolt for the second M3. If the first M3 also slips, I'll look into another Bolt, the I-PACE, the Audi e-tron, or one of BMW's offerings, all of which will be cheaper than an S or X.

Except for the seats, the Bolt has gotten great reviews. It would be nice to have more Model 3’s delivered, but some of us can’t wait (I’m getting a bit impatient myself).

Has anyone here done the switch from a Model 3 reservation to a buyer of Model S or Model X during 2017?

Perhaps due to time-scale or no desire to wait for the Model 3 builds to occur? Or were offered a deal on an MS. Let us know if you've done this and if you still have your Model 3 reservation or converted it to an MS/MX.

Seems to be a common theme....... I put my Model 3 reservation in when you could place the reservation on line...... When I started seeing the threads of the model 3 having a trunk, I became more interested in Model S for the extra cargo space.... One I drove one, I was hooked.. I purchased my MS 75D in May 2017, I still have the reservation for the 3.... I might purchase just for the re-sale value, since I live in Michigan.... they are harder to get them here...

Charging infrastructure is paramount folks. Tesla SC are everywhere and reliable...others not.

True story: Saw guy with Bolt at Whole Foods on Cape Cod. He had travelled from Manhattan and needed a high speed charge. Both fast DC chargers(one at Whole Foods and one at Cape Cod Mall) "Out Of Order". He ended up having around for hours on Level 2. Major disruption and these "Out Of Order" chargers are not uncommon.

Unless you are only using for commuting you're in for a painful EV experience going the non Tesla route.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Kbra
I skipped waiting in line on March 31st 2016 because I couldn't justify a 35k car to myself being that I was driving a 23k civic that I loved. I caved around lunchtime on April 1st and reserved our 3.

Then the obsession really, started, test drove a few times. I laid out the numbers and line of thinking to my financially savvy father while we were on a family vacation in Italy. I told him he was my last line of defense and that I was considering a new Model S and if he told me not to do it then that was that. He wouldn't tell me not to. I ordered "Thor" the next day (from Florence, Italy). We've been loving the hell out of our model S ever since August 2016. I'd do it again, still uncomfortable with driving a rich guy car when I'm very much not a rich guy.

That said we still have our 3 reservation and my Dad expressed interest in taking it assuming we can work it out. So it may not be us with the 3, but someone will take it :)

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
If you bought new, I think you could have applied your Model 3 deposit toward your purchase. At least, that's what I remember reading back in March of 2016.

True Big Earl, they even told me this upfront. I was a little skeptical if I was going to get the car (it was a showroom vehicle with a 16k discount). If it helps at all, the check actually came in < 30 days.