Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have the RWD, AWD, or P3D?

I wonder if the enhanced regeneration is limited to certain models.
I have an early vin (<10000) rwd.
IMG-8077.JPG
IMG-8078.JPG
IMG-8079 (1).JPG

Did a drive with drive-on-nav

WOW is it impressive. I have to say its leaps even above 39.7 so definitely not a meaningless update. Two things particularly stood out to me:

1) The biggest AP improvement is traffic recognition. What I mean by this is the inevitable situation wherein you're in the slow lane and the lane next to you is an exit only and the car is going to have to merge into your lane eventually. Traditional autopilot would keep barrelling down the freeway and essentially box out the other driver. Drive on Nav instead allowed the car to merge even before it turned on its indicator. Similarly it merged onto the freeway slowing down for the car in the adjacent lane. This means it is adjusting speed for a car outside of the limit of the radar and also doing it more intelligently.

2) The system suggests lane changes which can be confirmed either by the turn signal or just a quick tap on the gear stalk. This seemed seamless and worked well. After confirming, the car will find an open spot and will use the blinker accordingly whereas previously auto lane change would essentially only work in merging into a lane which is already clear. The car even made a couple impressive lane changes in traffic squeezing between car whereas Im pretty sure 39.7 simply would refuse to get into such a small space (aggressive mode)

WIth that said the system is definitely not perfect. It almost took the wrong interchange once and drove too slowly on a cloverleaf to be used in traffic. The car in general needs to be more smart about changing lanes and speed control to be more in tune with traffic.

All in all very satisfied!

Impressions from 42.2 (AWD):
  1. Web browser is much more usable, so far it has not given me white page yet.
  2. Dashcam seems not showing the dreaded grey cross anymore (after several park and drive session). I do still found a couple of fsck files on the disk though, maybe the system is better at self-healing now?
  3. Navigate on autopilot is really helpful for lane changes, I set the options to average and it helps me navigate through traffic with ease.
  4. Autopilot is still not able to handle the sudden cut-in merge well, I needed to take manual control for couple of times today.

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners! says

Keyfobs are $15
Keycards are $5

That doesn't prevent Tesla from giving you one for free, that's just the cost for the non free ones.

>Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost.

Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New

I’m still not convinced they’ll give out any free ones. And I doubt there is a chance that the key fob would be that cheap. They’ll likely be at least $100 each.