Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn! I went out to my car to see if I could start the update, and goddamn AT&T is not giving me any service, again as usual!!! I even opened the garage door, and still zero bars. F%$#¢&k AT&T and damnit, why couldn't Tesla have used a cell company with decent coverage?

I used to say that about ATT when I had them. I moved to T-Mobile...far worse.

I have Verizon on my phone. I have 5 bars on my phone when I'm in the car sitting in my garage, and the car has zero bars.

Once I do have service again, is there a way to tell the car to check for updates? Or does Tesla send them out to each car on its own schedule? The last update, which was my first, the screen showed me a window asking if I wanted to update now or schedule it for later. Do I just have to be patient and wait for that? How long does it take between the first folks getting it and the last? I really want that AP update!

ETA: I have the phone app set to give me notifications. Will the phone notify me, or just the car itself?

Microcell.jpg
@daniel

Ask AT&T for a Microcell for your house. It's basically a repeater that picks up a weak cell signal and provides a strong one in your house. They were providing for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2virgule5
I have Verizon on my phone. I have 5 bars on my phone when I'm in the car sitting in my garage, and the car has zero bars.

Once I do have service again, is there a way to tell the car to check for updates? Or does Tesla send them out to each car on its own schedule? The last update, which was my first, the screen showed me a window asking if I wanted to update now or schedule it for later. Do I just have to be patient and wait for that? How long does it take between the first folks getting it and the last? I really want that AP update!

ETA: I have the phone app set to give me notifications. Will the phone notify me, or just the car itself?
The App sends you a notification, but there is sometimes a delay between the car receiving the update and the App showing the notification - today the car had it while I was not yet notified.

I do wonder about lurking around a service center with 3 mainly because the 3 will connect to the tesla wifi at service centers (otherwise wifi is not working)., seems like that may expedite a software download (or upload depending on perspective)

Reactions: MP3Mike
View attachment 289513 @daniel

Ask AT&T for a Microcell for your house. It's basically a repeater that picks up a weak cell signal and provides a strong one in your house. They were providing for free.
A microcell connects to an existing wifi signal from an independent and most likely terrestrial broadband service, and simply provides a hotspot for your personal account cellular devices. It does not pick up weak/non-existent cell service and make it simply appear.

Since Tesla goes through their own account, a personal microcell won't help. And of course if and when Tesla enables wifi, and you have wifi in house, cell service or microcell is moot.

Last edited:
A microcell connects to an existing wifi signal from an independent and most likely terrestrial broadband service, and simply provides a hotspot for your personal account cellular devices.

Since Tesla goes through their own account, a personal microcell won't help.

Not all of them are like that. The microcell that T-Mobile provided my has two units, one to put in a window where you get the best cell reception and the other in the middle of your house, or where you need the strongest signal. The microcell takes over for any T-Mobile devices, weather they are on my account or not, that are in my house and repeats the signal through the window unit. (No WiFi or Internet connection necessary.)

I don't know what AT&T would provide.

I had one and it was more trouble than it was worth. It had a hard time handing off to the cellular network, so if I left the house, it would drop the call. A real pain. They don't really promote MicroCell anymore since "WiFi calling" does the same thing without needing a dedicated device in the middle.

The Model3 has WiFi code working because it was connected to my Service Center's WiFi when I picked it up. It seems like the public-facing UI just isn't turned on it. I'd expect it to be in one of the next updates.

I just got 10.5 too. This is definitely the AP “confidence” update. Smooth lane changes and lane width on the display follows the lane your in. So as the lane widens or narrows so does the display. Just like 10.4 on S/X.

Cannot wait to give this a go! With any luck the new software will come pre-installed when I take delivery Wednesday. The 3 will primarily be for my wife to use and I was a little disappointed with the way it worked on the Model X test drive we did about six months ago. It sounds like this update drastically reduces the number of disengagements. That was one thing I was worried about affecting our experience with it. Had you identified areas of your commute that always disengaged with the old software? If so, were you able to compare?

The App sends you a notification, but there is sometimes a delay between the car receiving the update and the App showing the notification - today the car had it while I was not yet notified.

Thanks for that info. Come on Tesla, send it now! I wonder if they go in serial number order. if so, there are 5,000+ people ahead of me. I guess the better question is, How long does it take them to push an update out to everyone?

@daniel, if the 3 works like the S and X, it comes when it comes. No way to check for updates. There used to be some theory that creeping around a service center would trigger an update, but I think that was either debunked or stopped working.

I guess I won't be making the 1,200-mile round-trip drive to cruise by the nearest service center. If there was one in Spokane I'd be cruising by it every day just on the off chance. I really didn't much like AP when I tried it, and I'm anxious to try the new version.

Yeah, I gotta have patience. It will come.