Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 and 60D to be removed

what reason do you think about Tesla discontinue its cheapest model S

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a email from Tesla that said that they will remove 60 and 60D for Model S because of that it was to few that order it and that they want to simplify the process.

Could it be that to many order it without update it to 75 wish made them deliver a lot of batteries that was never paid or could it just be that they don't want that the base Model 3 to have longer range then Model S?

I think it's a market segmentation thing. The price of what people are actually going to pay for their Model 3 reasonably optioned was getting too close to a vanilla S60. They will move ordinary people to the Model 3 and the well-heeled to the more expensive Model S75.

That's a very good point too. Make a reasonably large gap between M3 and MS... Makes total sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: f-stop
The 60 was removed from the lineup before. It was brought back in an effort to convert a lot of Model 3 reservations into Model S sales. Now that the Model 3 is approaching, it isn't "needed" in the lineup anymore.

The April 15th deadline allows potential buyers to get one while they are still offered. It will still take a few more months for deliveries and then the Model 3 should be out.

I am not sure I totally buy the "most customers ultimately end up upgrading to 75 kWh" quote from the Electrek article. It seems much more likely that they were filling packs with expensive batteries and hardly anyone upgraded when they introduced a lower upgrade price. I haven't come close to needing the extra range and am 100% satisfied with my 60 and probably wouldn't upgrade even if they lowered the unlock price to $500. I also haven't seen many people purchasing the base model. My 66k car quickly rose to 85k with a few clicks of the mouse.

The 60 was removed from the lineup before. It was brought back in an effort to convert a lot of Model 3 reservations into Model S sales. Now that the Model 3 is approaching, it isn't "needed" in the lineup anymore.

The April 15th deadline allows potential buyers to get one while they are still offered. It will still take a few more months for deliveries and then the Model 3 should be out.

Agreed. I think a lot of us expected this move. As per the article, tesla said most eventually upgraded to 75 - def not true. Glad I jumped in when I did as well!

I am not sure I totally buy the "most customers ultimately end up upgrading to 75 kWh" quote from the Electrek article. It seems much more likely that they were filling packs with expensive batteries and hardly anyone upgraded when they introduced a lower upgrade price. I haven't come close to needing the extra range and am 100% satisfied with my 60 and probably wouldn't upgrade even if they lowered the unlock price to $500. I also haven't seen many people purchasing the base model. My 66k car quickly rose to 85k with a few clicks of the mouse.

If the upgrade price was 2-3k I would consider. Nothing above that. For $500, you could sign me up right now ;)

I agree, well, except I'd upgrade for $500.

Reactions: tchockie and croman
My 66k car quickly rose to 85k with a few clicks of the mouse.
Sorry, that's now how economics works.

You're assuming that since supply of the 60/60D is drained, that demand is going to go up. But demand would only go up at a fixed price on the 60/60D, not at a new higher price of $19k more as your example shows. With the new higher price, demand goes back down, so you'd have to reduce your price.

In any case, I don't see this changing the value [much? at all] of any 60/60D models. Once you drive it off the lot, you depreciated it a ton. Add to that the $7,500 fed tax credit and any applicable state tax credits. And when you go to sell it, you'll be getting pennies on the dollar.

MY bet would be the complete opposite in that hardly anyone is upgrading the 60 to 75 and they are losing money putting in the 75 batteries so they are cutting out the model. It wont be long that they will probably start making models without AP2 and FSD because it never made any sense to me to that they install thousands in hardware and hope people would activate those functions later.

Reactions: mikerathbun