Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S body proportions are so classic I could see it lasting another 5-7 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think I'm crazy? Look at the Bentley Continental GT - soldiering on 12 years after its introduction in 2004 with only a minor massaging of its lines in 2010 and again this year. It's another example of a car with very classic lines. I see occasional posts from people afraid to buy a Model S for fear a body redesign is coming shortly. My response to that fear is that this car has such perfect lines I don't see how they could improve them with a redesign - you might be better with the original. I think they're aware they hit the design out of the park and that probably a complete redesign is far from a priority right now. It manages to be curvy - yet strong simultaneously. Strong rear haunches, yet graceful - nothing overly exaggerated - and not too subtle either.

And although initially glitchy - the flush door handles really help the beltline.

As long as they keep upgrading the tech in the car (increasing levels of autonomy, fix the software problems, increasing range) and can eventually improve the weak parts of the interior finishes I think this body has plenty of life left in it.

Picture stolen from another thread here - I thought it showed quite will how beautiful the lines are.

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.36.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Agree. Model S is one of the most beautiful cars around. Nosecone is probably the weakest element -- it still works, but would probably be where I would focus my efforts if I was updating the design. Wouldn't want to change any of the lines of the sheet metal, because they work so well.

I think there's more room for aftermarket front bumpers for anyone who wants a refreshed look. I agree that the S is a timeless design and could withstand the test of time. A re-design probably won't happen unless they experience a slump in sales as a result of poor demand.

Changing the design even if it's timeless is still a way to get people to buy a new car, because then it will be visible. With a Bentley this might not be as important, because they are not as common and very few people would actually be able to tell which generation is it. If the Model S got the X nose-cone on the other hand then a lot of average people would be able to tell "Oh that guy has the new Model S". Especially when the first leases start running out people might want something new and different.

Changing the design even if it's timeless is still a way to get people to buy a new car, because then it will be visible. With a Bentley this might not be as important, because they are not as common and very few people would actually be able to tell which generation is it. If the Model S got the X nose-cone on the other hand then a lot of average people would be able to tell "Oh that guy has the new Model S". Especially when the first leases start running out people might want something new and different.

A lot of average people haven't even seen one in person yet.

If I was in charge of tesla (I'm not), the Model S look wouldn't get refreshed till after the model 3 gets released in 2017. That would make the most sense from a resource utilization perspective, a supply/demand perspective, and also as a way to rekindle interest in the upmarket S vs the cheaper 3. Right now tesla is still selling every car it can make, sales are growing, and if you're a buyer that wants an EV with real world range, you have no other choice but a tesla.

The model S design is only 4 years old. That might be an eternity for most big auto companies that move hundreds of thousands of a certain model of car in that time, but how many model S cars did tesla even sell in its first 3 years? 50k? (I'm guessing?) The look is admittedly "boring" and perhaps dated to some on this board, but I know I've been looking at pictures/videos of the S since it was revealed almost 5 years ago. Not true for your typical luxury car buyer.

For some perspective, I only need to drive my S inland 50 miles from Orange County, and I'll still run into people who have never seen a tesla before.

I suspect the only people taking about an MS revamp are owners and folks on this board. The general public is only vaguely aware of Tesla and Tesla themselves have bigger fish to fry - like production constraints, getting the M3 out and making sure we are wondering what the actual HP of our cars might or might not be.

I suspect the only people taking about an MS revamp are owners and folks on this board. The general public is only vaguely aware of Tesla and Tesla themselves have bigger fish to fry - like production constraints, getting the M3 out and making sure we are wondering what the actual HP of our cars might or might not be.
Although I do suspect that most on this board are owners, and most don't want to own "the old version" for a variety of reasons. I can already predict the reaction on this forum when any change to the exterior gets released.

A nip here, a cut there may still be in order. Nose first, other little things like light pipes instead of LEDs.

The S has become so common around here that I almost have to stifle a yawn when I see one every few minutes.

But, agree with the sentiment that Tesla should get the 3 out there first. Only concern though is if the S sales start sagging rapidly in the absence of a refresh well ahead of the 3 coming to production; that may put some pressure on Tesla to do something - maybe something "under the hood" such as a larger battery pack.

Totally agree with OP. Walking up to the car I am always reminded of how stunning it is. I think the only thing they should do is the Model X front end, but only if that is the direction they are going as a company. If the Model 3 is getting a completely different front end I think they should build the future X's and S's around that. Oh and offer a Chrome Delete Package. I used to think that if you got a "P" you should get a little more of a body kit like an M5 vs a 5 Series or an S/RS in Audi, but I have kind of changed my tone on that. I kind of like that they are the same except for badging. More stealth, more "in the club" feeling.

The S is selling so well that I would hope they focus everything on making the Model 3 a total game changer and get over the tipping point of disruption and then go back and re-tool the S. That way too it will give the S something fresh post Model 3 which won't cannibalize model S sales.

If history is a lesson for us, then the Model S may come to an end (Roadster). I think this would depend on the Model 3's
demands upon the company and its resources. If anything, you will notice that the Model S and its
various options keep becoming fewer over time.

There are rumors of the 85 kWh battery being dropped which would make the S options even fewer.
(rumor has it that the Design Studio in Canada has dropped the 85 battery).

If history is a lesson for us, then the Model S may come to an end (Roadster). I think this would depend on the Model 3's
demands upon the company and its resources. If anything, you will notice that the Model S and its
various options keep becoming fewer over time.

There are rumors of the 85 kWh battery being dropped which would make the S options even fewer.
(rumor has it that the Design Studio in Canada has dropped the 85 battery).

I'm skeptical that the S will come to an end. The roadster was a modified lotus, not an in house product that the team spent years building and refining. Model S options are becoming fewer more likely because of supply chain optimization - not because they're planning to phase it out.