Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S body proportions are so classic I could see it lasting another 5-7 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see occasional posts from people afraid to buy a Model S for fear a body redesign is coming shortly. My response to that fear is that this car has such perfect lines I don't see how they could improve them with a redesign - you might be better with the original.

Let me help. The nose cone. Fix the nose.
No body redesign needed, just a nose job.

That said, I don't think the X nose is an improvement, so change isn't necessarily progress.

The s design is great and should live on with only very mild updates for a long time. In addition to the lights and nose maybe the b pillar placement where everyone rubs against it getting in the car. But main overall shape should stay the same.

Let me help. The nose cone. Fix the nose.
No body redesign needed, just a nose job.

That said, I don't think the X nose is an improvement, so change isn't necessarily progress.

Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see the Model X's overhead windshield - don't know if it would be feasible to do that on the X but would be very cool for opening up the feel of the cabin.

I could see a family nose change and perhaps a drop-in taillight revision (no metalwork changes), but I doubt we'll see a substantial refresh anytime soon. Tesla has trouble with supply as it is, and you don't want to be generating more part numbers you have to maintain and stock unless absolutely necessary. Up to this point they've mostly been able to fix/improve parts and stop producing the old version, which undoubtedly has cost benefits they won't be keen to give up, especially when it comes to their custom-stamped body work.

I could see a family nose change and perhaps a drop-in taillight revision (no metalwork changes), but I doubt we'll see a substantial refresh anytime soon. Tesla has trouble with supply as it is, and you don't want to be generating more part numbers you have to maintain and stock unless absolutely necessary. Up to this point they've mostly been able to fix/improve parts and stop producing the old version, which undoubtedly has cost benefits they won't be keen to give up, especially when it comes to their custom-stamped body work.

My thoughts on this as I have posted in various forums:

1) 3 months ago (in October, 2015), Tesla told Road and Track no S refresh was planned. This is after the X was launched and initial models delivered. Source: Tesla Model S Refresh Not Happening

2) They can always change their mind, but real EV competition to the Model S does not exist in 2016.... they own this segment. Combined with the beautiful design of the Model S, a refresh may be best planned for later -- 2017/2018 to refresh the line against the Porsche Mission E, pending Audi entries, pending Mercedes entries, etc. If you drop a refresh this year, you will not have that weapon to fire next year against the new competition. Refreshes are cool, but they lose impact quickly. Does Tesla need to dominate the press any more than they do for 2016?

3) Given the rough 2-year guidance on new autopilot capabilities, would make sense to time possible refresh with that equipment. Again, thinking logically...

4) Having said that, there are some low-hanging fruit additions with ventilated seating, and other tweaks that could be added as part of the continuous improvement cycle. It also seems that Tesla is guiding us for battery capacity upgrades every year (+ 6%).

My 2 cents. I would caution anyone against waiting and waiting and waiting... the Model S, with it's current Xenon lights, wicked LED running lights, LED tailights, Pano roof, and refreshed seating looks amazing today. Black headliners + Black Next Gen + Carbon rocks. People still gawk over the design -- and I live in the Bay area where there are tons of them.

I agree with the OP. However, realize that those subtle tweaks to the Bentley required redoing all the sheetmetal on the car. The design may look close to the original. But the investment in those little tweaks is essentially the same as coming up with a whole new look. Hello 500MM!

I also completely agree that the MS design is a long term classic. I hope that it will remain true to its form for a very long time.

Think I'm crazy? Look at the Bentley Continental GT - soldiering on 12 years after its introduction in 2004 with only a minor massaging of its lines in 2010 and again this year. It's another example of a car with very classic lines. I see occasional posts from people afraid to buy a Model S for fear a body redesign is coming shortly. My response to that fear is that this car has such perfect lines I don't see how they could improve them with a redesign - you might be better with the original. I think they're aware they hit the design out of the park and that probably a complete redesign is far from a priority right now. It manages to be curvy - yet strong simultaneously. Strong rear haunches, yet graceful - nothing overly exaggerated - and not too subtle either.

And although initially glitchy - the flush door handles really help the beltline.

As long as they keep upgrading the tech in the car (increasing levels of autonomy, fix the software problems, increasing range) and can eventually improve the weak parts of the interior finishes I think this body has plenty of life left in it.

Picture stolen from another thread here - I thought it showed quite will how beautiful the lines are.

View attachment 109489

Agreed, other great examples of lasting aesthetics include Aston Martin and Porsche 911. In sharp contrast, Mercedes and Lexus have lately brought out some progressively uglier designs. Just look at the recent 2-3 iterations of E-class and IS/GS. The body design is so overdone that they already look old the moment they come into being.

I think we'll have to wait for an update of the Model S for the simple reason, that updates add parts to the parts catalog. Tesla will keep focus on maintaining a 'simpler' parts catalog as long as they have a relatively low volume production and owners fleet.

Agreed, other great examples of lasting aesthetics include Aston Martin and Porsche 911. In sharp contrast, Mercedes and Lexus have lately brought out some progressively uglier designs. Just look at the recent 2-3 iterations of E-class and IS/GS. The body design is so overdone that they already look old the moment they come into being.

I thought it was just personal preference but I can't stand the current Lexus designs. I've been a Toyota / Lexus loyalist for years but I still find my current 2007 SC430 which was introduced in the Fall of 2001 as better looking than the current crop:

Lexus_SC430_2009_Image-LR_02.jpg

2010-lexus-sc430-15w.jpg

Sc_se_main_img_1a.jpg

And that last one is mine:

20121013_110548.jpg

Probably styling is not the real issue. The Model S was designed about ten years ago, an eternity in EV technology terms.

Within the next three or four years I'll wager there will be a Model S relacement on the way that will incorporate major changes in battery technology, eliminate the old-technology 12 v battery in favor of li-ion, have new BMS, new inverters, probably new motors and new materials for estruture and body. No doubt it will not appear in production for a while longer. Materials advances alone should educe weight, while range shold end out approaching 1000 miles. For that to happen there needs nothing other than continuing incremental improvements.

As for styling it would not surprise me were it to change little. After all the points in this thread explain why it need not change very much.

I think jb's post is one of the more prescient ones in this thread. I think the nose cone tweak to be the most likely of the cosmetic changes but I shudder at the thought of changing the B-pillar: it sounds like beaucooreeno bucks on the shop floor. Very hard for me to see the cost/benefit pencilling out for that one.

eliminate the old-technology 12 v battery in favor of li-ion,

The 12V battery is there to support 12V car accessories, which is almost everything minus 3-4 parts, including closing the contactors on the main pack, so that system is never going away. If Tesla wanted to they could use a 3rd party drop-in replacement right now that used lithium ion.

I thought it was just personal preference but I can't stand the current Lexus designs. I've been a Toyota / Lexus loyalist for years but I still find my current 2007 SC430 which was introduced in the Fall of 2001 as better looking than the current crop:

While I'm not a toyota fan, I have wondered what is going with Japanese design. Either oriental design preference is diverging from occidental aesthetic taste, or I'm getting old. Perhaps both.

As far as the Model S, Tesla probably would have designed the model X "skateboard" to accept Model S 2.0.

The roadster came to an end because Lotus provided them with a finite number of chassis (7500 I believe?) and that was it. No more chassis, no more roadster. The Model S is not comparable.
2,500 Roadster bodies were built by Lotus.
The Roadster cannot be compared to the Model S because Tesla is building the S in-house. he Model S is not going away. There is a sizable market for full size sedans, as evidenced by the fact that all the major car manufacturers offer at least one full size sedan model.