Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I heard back from the source over the weekend, I have both good news and bad news. Background- to my complete surprise, the individual is actually overseeing the S Refresh and has been "so busy finishing it up." The bad news is that this individual can't say anything, not even to family members. The good news is, they said the wait will be worth it and that they're going to surprise everyone. Talk about suspense... In the meantime, my source is trying to arrange so I can fly out to the factory and catch my reservation number in production on the line. Will keep you updated...

So I heard back from the source over the weekend, I have both good news and bad news. Background- to my complete surprise, the individual is actually overseeing the S Refresh and has been "so busy finishing it up." The bad news is that this individual can't say anything, not even to family members. The good news is, they said the wait will be worth it and that they're going to surprise everyone. Talk about suspense... In the meantime, my source is trying to arrange so I can fly out to the factory and catch my reservation number in production on the line. Will keep you updated...

Wait - are you lying to us? Because if you are lying to us, I might have to block you. I'm literally having dreams about this car right now and no, I'm not joking.

Also - this individual couldn't even tell you "delayed a little longer" or not? That's the only thing I care about right now. I just need to know - am I going to be having Model S dreams for another 2 months? I am literally losing my mind. I called my girlfriend Elon earlier today. Please help!

Maybe all those of us that converted from the old design order get a Jell-of-the-month membership for free as our surprise.

Nah, they are going to ship you a 2022 roadster. Also - hopefully this guy's contact knows that we already all know about the "guessing" the drive mode crap, since Elon tweeted it. That's actually one of my least favorite things about the car, tbh. Also hope it isn't "surprise, everyone gets 7 seats!" because that would suck.

So whats my money on?

"SURPISE! HW4 including a brand new chipset is coming!" which would help explain why the cameras are different and how the car can run The Witcher 3 when the Model 3/Y can barely run the internet browser. The CPU is just as important as the GPU (not to mention the RAM and all of that). I can't imagine they'd spend the money to incorporate that kind of processing power for video games alone.

Wait - are you lying to us? Because if you are lying to us, I might have to block you. I'm literally having dreams about this car right now and no, I'm not joking.

Also - this individual couldn't even tell you "delayed a little longer" or not? That's the only thing I care about right now. I just need to know - am I going to be having Model S dreams for another 2 months? I am literally losing my mind. I called my girlfriend Elon earlier today. Please help!

We are all excited about the refresh, you're not the only one constantly refreshing the tesla account anxiously waiting for a VIN assignment!! No, I'm not lying and I can understand your skepticism since a public forum is littered with conjecture.

Reactions: Tigers
We are all excited about the refresh, you're not the only one constantly refreshing the tesla account anxiously waiting for a VIN assignment!! No, I'm not lying and I can understand your skepticism since a public forum is littered with conjecture.

Tell your contact that I appreciate his integrity and not speaking out of place. His information is worth gold to some but he is doing the right thing.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. What sucks for me personally is that I've already sold my car, so we are down to 1 for two adults. It isn't awful, but certainly a little more challenging to wait. I'm also good with whatever they give us - I'd really just prefer a courtesy "if it says March, it's March, you peasant" from Elon, that's all. The nebulosity is bringing back chills/PTSD from other product launches that were delayed months. I definitely cannot wait past like the first week or two of April, personally. That's why I made the (semi) joke I'm cancelling today if there's no new info. I'm not actually going to cancel, but I have started strongly considering a Model Y or another car.

Question for you though: you said you were working with him to get a flight out to see the car on the production line...are you saying he would follow up to give you a date for that or did he give you a time frame?

EDIT AGAIN:
Going around on Twitter. Seems like the Ryzen CPU is being used for the Model S/X...regardless of the version, thats obviously a HUGE step up from the Intel Atom.

HW4 perhaps...

Last edited:
I'm rather enjoying the suspense, and the fact Tesla is managing to keep a lid on the details we really don't need to know during this transition phase. I mean, c'mon, that's pretty impressive. Our spare car is a Highlander Hybrid that is a blast to drive, so that's holding me over (my WRX went off-lease in January). I *CAN* wait for the MS, and am doing it without too much anxiety. Now TSLA's PPS on the other hand....LOL.

@Tigers Can you tell us what that chart means (talk to me like a 3rd grader) in regards to real world performance value?

Intel Atom is a relatively low performing CPU. CPUs are used to run programs (the user interfaces, the internet browser, pulling up Hulu, etc.).

So, if you've been in a 3/Y you'll know that most of the car functions on the touchscreen are smooth, but the internet and other applications such as youtube/hulu can be sort of choppy, slow to load up, etc.

Well, the AMD Ryzen CPU will allow for much faster processing, so using applications like this (and video games) should be much, much smoother.

OK, well why do you care and why do I keep mentioning HW4?

For full self driving, having a ton more CPU/GPU power allows for rendering of more objects/calculating distances/planning routes, etc. Basically, it should make FSD even better IF that's one of the reasons they are using it for (not confirmed - my speculation). If this is the case, the visualizations should be massively improved on the user interface. All of those little cones and things are graphics, now imagine what they do with that today and multiply that capability by 10-50x.

We don't know the exact models of the CPU - but the new one should be anywhere from 10 - 50x better performance. This is about the same as the GPU upgrade (which also has been leaked, with Tesla again confirming the stats "10 TFLOPS" which just means rendering power).

In the worst case scenario - the screen should be even faster/smoother for more complicated apps and you can play video games on it. I highly doubt this is only reason for it, though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: elguapo and lzolman