Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your points, but It's definitely not less than 1%. Cars have alternator failures ALL the time. Vacuum line issues, fuel injector failures, etc.

It sounds like the Porsche died because the 12V battery died. I agree its a problem that they need to address, but even newer vehicles can and do have malfunctions. You said it happened to you, and you don't drive older vehicles. Doesn't seem like less than 1% to me.

At least with EV's the only malfunction you can have is electrical. Eliminates a ton of failure points.
It happened to me, but not in an any ICE car I’ve owned since the early 2000’s. It happened on Jaguar’s first all-electric vehicle, my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV. And now, the same problem is happening on brand new Porsche Taycans, Porsche’s first all-electric vehicle. So, yeah, I was curious if this sort of thing was ever an issue with any Tesla’s.

But I would suspect that newer ICE vehicles, say from 2010-present, a complete shutdown and engine failure while driving without any warning would be a very small chance, probably 1% or less with today’s computer controlled vehicles. Now, with an all-electric EV, it seems like it’s more possible than with an ICE vehicle.

It happened to me, but not in an any ICE car I’ve owned since the early 2000’s. It happened on Jaguar’s first all-electric vehicle, my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV. And now, the same problem is happening on brand new Porsche Taycans, Porsche’s first all-electric vehicle. So, yeah, I was curious if this sort of thing was ever an issue with any Tesla’s.

But I would suspect that newer ICE vehicles, say from 2010-present, a complete shutdown and engine failure while driving without any warning would be a very small chance, probably 1% or less with today’s computer controlled vehicles. Now, with an all-electric EV, it seems like it’s more possible than with an ICE vehicle.
I don't know. Most people would say the more complicated vehicles of today are less reliable. A failed ECM unit can wreck your day, where cars prior to the 80's had no such problems. This is why you still see 70 muscle cars on the road. Easy to work on, easy to maintain.

Maybe the EV's have less workarounds when a system fails. It's a one trick pony, Electric. I think we will start seeing redundant systems being built into the technology, like compartmentalizing battery sections for partial failures, so the car can limp to safety. For the time being, there is an arms race for the most range and acceleration. Once that is over, the cars will start getting loaded up with back up systems and work arounds for something like a 12V battery failure.

I do plan to keep this Tesla for 10 plus years, so I guess I'll see how reliable it will be compared to my ICE from 1993. Looking forward to my first battery replacement cost :oops:

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Perhaps for those that often drive 25+ year old cars, that could be a common occurrence, but for those of us who only drive cars from this and last decade, sudden stalls or complete electrical and engine failures while driving without warning are likely < 1% chance.

The complete electrical shutdown of my 1st EV I drove, a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace was something I didn’t think would ever happen. Nearly got me killed but in the end, the problem was fixed and I drove on for another several months before I sold the vehicle this past March awaiting my Tesla MS Plaid. Just wanted to know if anyone who’s driven a Tesla before is aware of something like that happening with any Tesla EVs. Trust me that it’s not a pleasant experience no matter what kind of a car you’re driving.
Jaguar, EV or not, suffers from failures quite often.

I don't know. Most people would say the more complicated vehicles of today are less reliable. A failed ECM unit can wreck your day, where cars prior to the 80's had no such problems. This is why you still see 70 muscle cars on the road. Easy to work on, easy to maintain.

Maybe the EV's have less workarounds when a system fails. It's a one trick pony, Electric. I think we will start seeing redundant systems being built into the technology, like compartmentalizing battery sections for partial failures, so the car can limp to safety. For the time being, there is an arms race for the most range and acceleration. Once that is over, the cars will start getting loaded up with back up systems and work arounds for something like a 12V battery failure.

I do plan to keep this Tesla for 10 plus years, so I guess I'll see how reliable it will be compared to my ICE from 1993. Looking forward to my first battery replacement cost :oops:
Once you drive an EV, you may never want to drive an ICE vehicle ever again. True they’re mostly silent, but a powerful EV like the Tesla MS will have you giggling while driving all day and you’ll quickly forget about any rumble of an ICE car. You’ll see. Hehe. 😁

btw - the only reason why I sold my 700 HP/TQ 2012 GT-R was because it just sat in our garage getting dusty with a trickle charger on the battery all the time during the time I drove my Jaguar I-Pace EV everyday for over 2 years! I lost interest in the GT-R because I was enjoying driving the I-Pace EV all the time even though it wasn’t as fast as the GT-R, it was great (except for that issue of it dying in the middle of the street, lol and typical JLR s/w UI screen bugs and such). I took the GT-R out just a couple dozen times during that time and I was like, meh, I’m over it. Get me back into my EV! 😉

Last edited:

Isn’t expected battery life something like 400K miles? Hopefully won’t have to worry about it?!

Once you drive an EV, you may never want to drive an ICE vehicle ever again. True they’re mostly silent, but a powerful EV like the Tesla MS will have you giggling while driving all day and you’ll quickly forget about any rumble of an ICE car. You’ll see. Hehe. 😁

btw - the only reason why I sold my 700 HP/TQ 2012 GT-R was because it just sat in our garage getting dusty with a trickle charger on the battery all the time during the time I drove my Jaguar I-Pace EV everyday for over 2 years! I lost interest in the GT-R because I was enjoying driving the I-Pace EV all the time even though it wasn’t as fast as the GT-R, it was great (except for that issue of it dying in the middle of the street, lol and typical JLR s/w UI screen bugs and such). I took the GT-R out just a couple dozen times during that time and I was like, meh, I’m over it. Get me back into my EV! 😉
I was never one who got off on a loud engine, so the Tesla will be great. The reason I sold MY car, was because it was looking like part procurement was going to become a huge burden. I hit a curb a few years back and bought the very last rim in all of North America dealer stock.

My car is now in Oregon. A guy wealthier than me is having it torn down to the last bolt and fully restored.

Reactions: sflgator
I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure if they led you to believe your car would be available no later than March and months later you still don’t have a delivery scheduled, you can cancel and expect a refund. I doubt they would keep it, particularly if you have another car ordered.
I doubt it. They never promise any sort of delivery date in any way. If they stop making the car, that might be a different story.
Not sure how I feel about this new design of the S.
View attachment 664732
I’ll take the hover car. At least I won’t have to buy rims.

Reactions: AnselmDante
Always nice to have new members tell us how bad EV’s are and how great everything else is.
Who was doing that? I’ve been here for the past 3+ months and seen 500+ pages on this thread and haven’t noticed anyone knocking EVs. Going on my 2nd EV now with the MS Plaid and I’m certain I won’t drive an ICE vehicle ever again. 👍🏻😎